What do you miss most about Windows 10 Mobile?

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I basically miss the UI. It was just so nice and replicating it perfectly on Android is impossible. I miss the tiles, the fluidity, the black, the all apps list... God do I miss it.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
So, lots of folks are switching from Windows 10 Mobile to Android or iOS, for obvious reasons. Even the most diehard Windows phone fans have to at least be considering a switch. But this question is for people who have already made the jump to another mobile platform.

What specifically do you miss most about your Windows phone? And do you regret switching? I have a feeling that the Live tile interface is probably going to come up in the responses quite often ...

The ironic thing is that I went from Windows 10 Mobile to Android but then back to Windows 10 Mobile a year later.

Long story not so short, bought a Xiaomi Mi Mix back in 2016, phone was fantastic, OS not so much, had some apps that weren't on the Windows 10 Mobile. This thing was good enough for me, Blueborne exploit was released to the public, Mi Mix doesn't get patched for about a month (probably still isn't). Decided to flash ROM to something like Xiaomi MIUI (called EPIC ROM) to patch Blueborne, works fine for about 3 weeks. New OTA update for the EPIC ROM, bricked the phone... infinite boot loop. Took 4 hours to fix it, because I really didn't want to go back to MIUI.

Had no choice, sold it on Ebay for around 550$, had a spare Lumia 830, decided to go with it again, I missed the Live Tiles so much and how it felt "alive" with all the information poping up on the Start Menu, remembered that it's aweful with Windows 10 Mobile, flashed it to Windows Phone 8, slow as snails. Decided to buy a Lumia 950 2 weeks ago for like 250$, great phone, battery drains fast though. Bought new battery and screen protector on Ebay this week.

Will keep it until something NOT ANDROID OR iOS comes out.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Live Tiles/Home Screen
System wide dark them that many apps inherited
Cortana was better on WP, "hey Cortana"
Windows Phone Camera App
Dedicated Camera shutter button
Lumia Cinemagraphs
Better calendar and contacts integration with Outlook.com
Maps - I actually like WP apps better than Google (though Google has better data in some areas). I liked being about to save locations on the desktop and have them on my phone.
Keyboard

Serghei T

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Camera app, Carl Zeiss optics. Nokia 6 Android camera (released 2017) cannot even to be compared to Nokia Lumia 920 (released 2012) camera and app. Glance screen, double tap option to wake up the phone. Cortana and Outlook calendar integration. Cortana still does not create any events by the voice command on Android.

faizan chaman

Nov 3, 2017
Visit site
My first phone is windows phone lumia 730, it feel me diffrent from other brand, i like all app especially camera app bcz i m camera lover, music, calling,photo, mix radio. Super outstanding feature.it is type of machine which make me understand social and internet world easy, fast. I became game lover from this mobile phone. THANK YOU.

lupinesithlord

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So, lots of folks are switching from Windows 10 Mobile to Android or iOS, for obvious reasons. Even the most diehard Windows phone fans have to at least be considering a switch. But this question is for people who have already made the jump to another mobile platform.

What specifically do you miss most about your Windows phone? And do you regret switching? I have a feeling that the Live tile interface is probably going to come up in the responses quite often ...

The interface mostly. Heck most of the features I miss are things that got written out of 10. like facebook stuff right in people hub. I periodically get lost trying to figure out my iPhone and how to do things....I was on windows mobile since 7 (Samsung focus) I'm on my first non windows smartphone (iPhone 8) the addition of qi got me.

wizll

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The main thing I miss from WP is the built in word flow keyboard. The closest thing to that on iOS was Microsoft's own word flow keyboard that is now gone and Swiftkey is not quite as good. Beyond that, I miss all the integrations and features of the WP OS that made things simple without the need to install a bunch of random stupid apps just to do the same thing in iOS. No one was kidding when they said moving to iOS would be like playing "whack an app" throughout the day with the wall of icons. oh, and Cortana's far superior hands free features when driving.

It's been a year now since I got the iphone 7plus, and I'm pretty much bored of it as a phone. The only thing that intrigued me recently was pixel2's new camera software and its dedicated imaging chip, but turned off by the XL's supposed display issues. Probably going to wait a year or so to see what's next. Leaning toward at least an android device now that I'm sick of Apple's boring phone OS.

tpesa

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Only recently switched to a galaxy s8+. And after some time getting used to some differences my opinion is that a lot of Microsoft services on this platform work better. I find myself missing less and less of Windows mobile. Using MS Launcher and pushing Google as far in the background as possible I find myself liking it quite a bit. If they figure out live tiles and more Cortana integration it'd be even better. I avoided this switch for a long time. Not so bad.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the Nokia 6 and it is real Nokia just by the build quality. This phone looks and feels premium for a budget device. No other phone has a build this good for the price.

HMD has the Nokia patents so it will be interesting to see if pureview will make a comeback in future devices and glance screen.

Odih4sure

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
I missed my livetiles, strong screen, matchless keyboard and flying operation without lag; I missed my LuMia 950,but I have to give it up due to limited apps

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm still using my 1520 and 950XL and will likely use it for another 18 months at least. They are both beasts of devices.

I guess if I would have to discontinue using them I would miss these things:

-hands down the start menu and live tiles. Android and iOS simply can not compare in this experience.
-the design of the OS and apps. It just makes sense to me. It's similar to windows. I've tried iOS and android a couple of times is hard to get used to.
- I will sorely miss the hubs concept. Everything in one spot. I destest that everything has to be a seperate app. It lacks a holistic view and constant app switching is counterproductive and exhausting in the long run. Unforntely microsoft does seem to go a bit in the same direction, to a degree.
-free full offline maps that are also updated. Wonderful!!! Maps and offline maps are part of the OS and experience. You can download whole countries and regions.

saket87

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Android since S6, what I miss is live tiles, automatically changing lock screen, the black theme, and deletable bloat apps, also all phones look the same (software wise and performs same). I also miss the camera button, which some Androids do have.

jcb871

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Live Tiles / Home Screen
Most importantly the ease of developing a UWP app and running it on mobile and desktop !
With Lumia 950, MI4 (Win10), Lumia 640, 635... :)

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Only recently switched to a galaxy s8+. And after some time getting used to some differences my opinion is that a lot of Microsoft services on this platform work better. I find myself missing less and less of Windows mobile. Using MS Launcher and pushing Google as far in the background as possible I find myself liking it quite a bit. If they figure out live tiles and more Cortana integration it'd be even better. I avoided this switch for a long time. Not so bad.

My experience with switching to the S8+ was not the same. I tried everything you state above but I became too reliant on Cortana when I drive on W10M. It is way too clunky and unreliable on Android with any app I tried. I also hate the Outlook client on Android. Can't pin mailboxes and no separate calendar app. All of the available keyboards I tried also paled. I just couldnt stay.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S5 sitting on the shelf that i keep up to date, as a backup to my 950 XL. I've tried numerous times to totally 'switch', but always come back to my Windows phone. There just isn't enough 'greener grass' on the other side to keep me in Android land....my phone takes amazing pics, and the 'missing' apps...i just pin mobile web sites to my start screen, and they work just fine. I just wish Spotify worked better on my Lumia....

elbimster

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Live tiles. Above all else, this.

Keyboard. Nothing as good on Android.

The basic phone stuff. Better phone app, contacts management, text messages, email.

Rudy Huyn.

If MS is pushing hard for Android, I really hope they port the above things, and a good love tile launcher to Android.

Zee Shan

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Still using Lumia phone but got a new Android device and as comparison Android had a lots of missing features
🤔Cortana, Glance screen, long press back arrow to close apps,dedicated camera key, it is just like holding a mini PC with me,hope sometimes WP will again grow up .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss