Just when I thought the app situation couldn't get worse.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Smart devices are difficult to find in general for windows. If I come across them that only support iOS and android, I generally ignore them.

gamo62

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Really? Any worse? Are you that effin naive? Why are we even talking about this.

This is a dead subject. And OS. It is ok to admit defeat.

Every time I see a post about this or the future of WP, I chuckle.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Why are we still talking about an app gap on Windows?
Who's talking about an app gap? This thread is about a product that claims to be usable via a web interface.... BUT requires an Android or iOS app to create an account for that web site.

Update: Never mind about who's talking about the app gap. I see WC posted an article with that in the title and a link to this thread.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the OP, you could always run the app in an emulator on your PC to sign up, but this weird requirement is a sign they are not a very clear thinking company so I advise taking the hint and looking elsewhere.
Yeah. I posted in #7 that the emulator works. Not a lot of options for this type of product of which it is the best. If the emulator ever stops working, I can get a used tablet for cheaper than switching to another product.

vzzbuckz

Oct 20, 2016
Visit site
In my opinion - it's neither better or worse. I have the apps I want on Windows 10 mobile. That being said, there are some fun apps and useful apps on my Android Huawei P8 lite 2017 that I don't need but are useful. That being said - I'm in the position now of deciding whether to trade apps for security i.e. there are no patches released for my Android - I'd need to spend a lot more to get a Pixel / Pixel 2 to get any form of update.

The only other option is iOS. It is expensive but it does have good residual value. Frankly - the different between iOS and Android, for me, is non-existant in terms of apps - but iOS security is better (patched more often) and devices hold their value better (you can have an iPhone for 4 years and still get the latest updates).

So for now - I'm sticking with the 950XL and see what happens.

asoyemi

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Just from the Title, it can be fair to say, you are running out of something to write or you are despirately fixing to miss your quota.

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm all in with WM with Elite X3 and just got the 950 the other day (awesome) and the 950xl. I also have an Android phone with (Moto 5S Plus), and I got it for one particular app I need, otherwise wouldn't have at all. Have had it for 2 months now, and do not use any other apps with Android. So many junk apps. Even when in the Android OS I look for MS apps such as Microsoft to-do etc. Windows Central app looks beautiful on WM, but on Android looks super boring - that about sums it up really.

Shadow Box

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
Who cares about the app gap? APP is just a different interface for something that can be reached through a browser. Now, after 3 month of trying Android, I am back to my L950Xl. Basically I decided that no app gap can replace the fluidity and security that my Windows mobiles offered. Android is colourful but so unstable, laggy and ful of useless feature while some basic features (that btw wokred well w10m) are not even available......

Nadella leave! We want a true believer who is committed to create the integated environment, so has no limitation in order to dream.

Last edited by a moderator:

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
This just underscores what should be bloody obvious by now. Going forward this will only get worse. No one - not even water sprinklers(!) - cares about Windows anymore. It is rightly assumed that everyone has an Apple or Android device these days. For the few folks here still stubbornly holding out, just get used to being treated as a non-person.

Frankly, I would be embarrassed to call the support line and actually admit that I am living in the past. I guarantee you the support folks had a good laugh about this: “Mike, listen to this. This guy says he has no phone to use our app! He has something called a “Windows phone”. Yeah, I don’t know what that is either.”

hurdski

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I was a staunchest of defenders of windows phone for years. I began with the cool quirky slider Dell Venue Pro, also owned the HTC Titan, the 8x, the M8, a couple different Lumias and finished with the 950XL.

but the app gap finally strangled me. I hated switching to android -I was so committed to windows mobile that I felt like a traitor-- but my work required it and I didn't want to use two phones. and i found bluestacks to be weak or useless.

my LG V20 is a brilliant piece of hardware, but android is a jack OS. it reminds me of blackberry. and when I fire up my Lumia 950 xl it feels like a phone for grown ups, but it also feels like an abandoned platform compared to android, and it essentially has been abandoned.

it's a shame windows mobile didn't win, because it's a much better OS. I'm much happier with the all apps on android, being able to log into my bank software with my fingerprint for instance, or link to my lawn tractor, even if android is, imo, crummy.

Okay. There never was a Windows version of some apps. Okay some windows apps go away.

I am shopping for a smart sprinkler timer and thought Orbit's B-Hyve was a good choice. Says can be controlled from an Android phone, and iPhone or a web interface. Great!

But the web interface tells you you must first create an account. You may have guessed.... You can only create the account with an Android or iPhone app. SMH.

Also, you can apparently do everything in the web interface except set up the wifi credentials or change them.

Their help desk actually can't believe anyone would find a problem with their solution of buying or borrowing an Android phone just to set up the web portal account and wifi and any time the wifi changed.

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
This is less of an apps on Windows problem and more of a daft expectation that everyone owns a smart phone, let alone an iPhone or Android.

My dad is pretty tech savvy, but due to personal beliefs he is resistant to having anything more than a feature phone, and even then he is hesitant to take it with him everywhere. However, throughout my life he has always been an early adopter of HOME technologies.

It seems quite short sighted that, despite having a web interface, they still require a smart phone.

selemja

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
The famous App Gap, to me the other way around. I have just gone from Lumia 950 XL to iPhone 8 Plus.And it has been quite frustrating and disappointing journey. There is two or three pros, a long list of cons. I used my Lumia to everything I really needed to do during a normal day. Socially, mailing, banking etc. Sure, there was fun stuff I couldn’t do, like controlling my refrigerator. But the only two apps I really wanted was HERE maps and Freeflight to fly my Parrot drone. On the other hand, there are lots of apps I had in my Lumia which I can’t find (or equivalent) in the AppStore. Decent diary like Diarium, calendar like Chronos or even Outlook calendar which is not same in IOS, simple GPX recorder/viewer, a few Xbox games etc. Also, the huge number of apps in the AppStore makes it almost impossible to find what you want/like just by typing a category like “diary”. You have to know exactly (app name) what you want.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Yeah it’s just terrible having so many choices. I had a 950XL too. Sold it and some other crappy Windows phones and now have multiple iPhones and iPads. I only wonder why I hung on to Windows as long as I did.

It’s nice being in the mainstream. Windows phones was like being lost in the woods.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Who cares about the app gap? APP is just a different interface for something that can be reached through a browser.

Sorry but that is absolutely false. You may be able to access everything for your needs but I've proven on multiple occasions, WM and A browser will hit a point of "no-can-do". Lost count how many times I've been greeted with "unsupported browser/OS". So an app is not JUST a different interface as you so proclaim when it pertains to WM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss