Dear Microsoft, please fix our Windows 10 pet peeves

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
My pet peeve?

I covered that in depth in a forum thread already (here: forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/469471-biggest-flaw-windows-10-a.html#post3726276 - It's condensed as much as possible...) , because it's a combination of elements not a single thing. However for simplification it falls under Microsoft's umbrella of all or nothing approach in combination to their knee jerk reaction to almost everything.

So I'm not going to go any more detail as I've gone into as much detail as possible without typing a gazillion page novel :grincry: because even then it wouldn't enough to cover everything I've noticed. People say it's a gift to notice all the mundane things that define the bigger picture as a tester, no it's not.. it's a curse.

Also to note, to keep this thread on track and not derailed it's about what you personally dislike about W10 not who is to be blamed for xyz.

Groover1971

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My biggest pet peeve is when I start up the computer and log in (we have 5 users), it usually logs in two people (me and one other) so when I go to turn off the computer, it warns me that someone else is still logged in. I have to click again after I have already gotten up from the PC so it will continue to shut down. If the other person starts up the computer and logs in, I am usually logged in also and they have to go through the same process.

ad47uk

May 17, 2016
Visit site
No way to disable Cortana without using Reg edit or group policies, be nice to put it in the settings, If I was going to use Edge, the extensions I use would be nice, there are some, like Xmarks, but they are not integrated into edge. Stop changing my defaults back to Ms defaults when updating, that is very annoying. Then the normal stuff, like giving us more options in telemetry and updating.

But my biggest problem with windows 10 is the lock screen, I do not need a lock screen on a desktop.

ad47uk

May 17, 2016
Visit site
How about...

1) Make Power Settings reliable (e.g. it does what I tell it to do)
2) Stabilise the network stack so I don't have to reset my adapter every hour
3) Ridiculous Edge CPU and Memory usage

i get the problem with having to reset my adaptor, it is not every hour, sometimes it is 15 mins apart, other times it can be hours.

ad47uk

May 17, 2016
Visit site
Counter point. I would like to see a large scale adoption of UWP. As the most used OSes in the world are now smart phone OSes, the userbase is already prepped and ready for these types of apps.

I personally give preferential treatment to apps developed on UWP as I enjoy the ease of use, lack of bloat, and easy updating.

I use Polarr over Lightroom
I use Sketchable over Photoshop even though the later is the industry standard that I've been using for over 20 years.
I use Windows Mail over Outlook 2016

I would like to see UWP expanded to allow for more advancement and improvement.

Of course, I use Windows 10 almost exclusively in tablet mode, so I'm clearly mad as a hatter.

i do not see the problem in using normal software to be honest. i do not use any UWP and to be honest i have no interest in using them. I certainly would not stop using better software just because they are not available in UWP.
i do not see Adobe sticking their software into the store, yes i know they have the cut down versions, but they are a pay once system.

the photo editing package I use Serif Affinity is now in the store, Serif will not allow people to change over, so even if i wanted to use the MS store version I would have to buy it.

Not that I am bothered, because once the software is installed it is installed and it is not difficult.

Windows Mail is awful, I had a look at it and used it for a week and went back to Thunderbird.

i can kind of understand why MS wants us to use UWP, first of all it makes them more money, it also protects people against rouge software, in theory and the software get updated quickly. But it is not for everyone.

Ray M20

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Not limited to W10 but the fact that I live in a country that does not speak English does NOT mean that I speak their language (or want to)! :angry::angry::angry:

Last edited:

schrags08

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
If my computer goes into standby when working on an external monitor with a higher resolution than my native display when I resume work all of my windows get resized to tiny and shoved into the top left of the screen. I then have to move and resize them all back to their original position to get back to work. This doesn't happen and works flawlessly on macOS.

1DaveN

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
Can't sync settings if pc on domain. Very irritating!

Go to Settings -> Accounts -> E-mail and app accounts. Under "Accounts used by other apps," add your Microsoft Account. You should be able to sync a substantial amount of stuff, particularly using apps like Mail and People. I don't sync browser settings of any kind, so I can't swear that works, but it's worth a try.

graple

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
This is probably my top three things that irritate me concerning W10:

1. Why can I not select the default font, font size, font color in the Mail and Calendar or Outlook Mail apps rather than having to change it EVERY time I send an email? This drives me nuts!

2. Photos app needs a lot of attention. Having to go into OneDrive to disable the automatic photo albums creation is really slick MSFT., it took me months of searching to find that solution. Do you ever read the MSFT Community forums? If you did you would realize how unhappy your consumer users are with many issues that haven't been resolved for years!!! Photos has lost a lot of its editing functions, and those that remain are reduced in functionality.

3. My third pet peeve is this: If Microsoft proposes to give their "consumer" users the best experience possible in Windows 10, then why am I automatically signed into apps I do not want? With all the emphasis of late on cross-platform stuff, I especially find this rather confusing. Why am I being forced to have apps or services on my laptop that I don't use, or what if I actually prefer a competitor's app? Do I no longer have control over my own device? As an example, I do not wish to have Skype automatically sign me in to a Skype account every time I sign in to Outlook Mail, not to mention the drain on my computer's resources.

It would go a long way to help market MSFT if it was THE ecosystem that was truly cross-platform and let you choose which apps and services you wanted to use on your device that met your own productivity needs. What a concept! Today, people don't want to be tied to one eco-system.

MSFT should have a checklist on your accounts page that lets you the user, choose which MSFT apps and services you wish to have associated with your MSA, rather than turning all on by default with no way to uninstall those unwanted apps. (MSFT used to do this with Windows Live Essentials 2012 as there was a check list on that service). Users could then add any cross-platform apps to their device where they felt their needs were better met by apps on other eco-systems. With those choices added to their device along with their MSFT apps of choice then users would truly have a device that meets their own productivity needs.

Whodaboss

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
1) No Modern Edge. Why can't they have a Modern Edge?! Windows 8.1 Modern IE was the absolute best.

2) Build a Tablet Mode "EXACTLY" like in Windows 8.1. Exactly!

If they can do these two things then I would be sold.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This is probably my top three things that irritate me concerning W10:

1. Why can I not select the default font, font size, font color in the Mail and Calendar or Outlook Mail apps rather than having to change it EVERY time I send an email? This drives me nuts!

2. Photos app needs a lot of attention. Having to go into OneDrive to disable the automatic photo albums creation is really slick MSFT., it took me months of searching to find that solution. Do you ever read the MSFT Community forums? If you did you would realize how unhappy your consumer users are with many issues that haven't been resolved for years!!! Photos has lost a lot of its editing functions, and those that remain are reduced in functionality.

3. My third pet peeve is this: If Microsoft proposes to give their "consumer" users the best experience possible in Windows 10, then why am I automatically signed into apps I do not want? With all the emphasis of late on cross-platform stuff, I especially find this rather confusing. Why am I being forced to have apps or services on my laptop that I don't use, or what if I actually prefer a competitor's app? Do I no longer have control over my own device? As an example, I do not wish to have Skype automatically sign me in to a Skype account every time I sign in to Outlook Mail, not to mention the drain on my computer's resources.

It would go a long way to help market MSFT if it was THE ecosystem that was truly cross-platform and let you choose which apps and services you wanted to use on your device that met your own productivity needs. What a concept! Today, people don't want to be tied to one eco-system.

MSFT should have a checklist on your accounts page that lets you the user, choose which MSFT apps and services you wish to have associated with your MSA, rather than turning all on by default with no way to uninstall those unwanted apps. (MSFT used to do this with Windows Live Essentials 2012 as there was a check list on that service). Users could then add any cross-platform apps to their device where they felt their needs were better met by apps on other eco-systems. With those choices added to their device along with their MSFT apps of choice then users would truly have a device that meets their own productivity needs.
I agree. I'd like to uninstall Groove, Skype, Windows Mail, Xbox, Movies & TV, Edge, and other things I don't use.

pesanur

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Fluent Design - I cannot select where I like transparencies and where not (I like the transparent taskbar, start menu and notification panel, but not transparent apps and much less transparent title bars).
And continuing with Fluent Design, any app using it have a transparent title bar, or a white title bar if I disable transparencies. Coloured title bars are gone again in these apps.

pesanur

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I agree. I'd like to uninstall Groove, Skype, Windows Mail, Xbox, Movies & TV, Edge, and other things I don't use.

Not only the xbox app, that is only a front-end for the social stuff of the game client. I like to remove the whole client, but it is deep integrated into the os. All that can be made, is to turn off all the related options in settings and then disable the related services.

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
i do not see the problem in using normal software to be honest. i do not use any UWP and to be honest i have no interest in using them. I certainly would not stop using better software just because they are not available in UWP.
i do not see Adobe sticking their software into the store, yes i know they have the cut down versions, but they are a pay once system.

the photo editing package I use Serif Affinity is now in the store, Serif will not allow people to change over, so even if i wanted to use the MS store version I would have to buy it.

Not that I am bothered, because once the software is installed it is installed and it is not difficult.

Windows Mail is awful, I had a look at it and used it for a week and went back to Thunderbird.

i can kind of understand why MS wants us to use UWP, first of all it makes them more money, it also protects people against rouge software, in theory and the software get updated quickly. But it is not for everyone.
I definitely don't use UWP over others out of blind support for Microsoft's platform, but because they are faster, lighter, and easier to use. That is why I give them preference.

Drawing in Sketchable is FAR SUPERIOR IMHO than drawing in Adobe Photoshop. It is smoother and lighter on resources. It is the better tool for the job. I still use Photoshop to do more advanced design and photo manipulation. I'm not completely mad. ;-) Though I have been eyeballing Affinity's stuff pretty hard these days. They look damn good.

The same holds true for my other examples. The UWP are the better tool for the job I'm doing. Mail is what it is. I don't use all the power Outlook 2016 has to offer. I just want to read and send e-mails. Outlook 2016 is like bringing a chainsaw to a bonsai tree. Too much tool for the job.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Not only the xbox app, that is only a front-end for the social stuff of the game client. I like to remove the whole client, but it is deep integrated into the os. All that can be made, is to turn off all the related options in settings and then disable the related services.
Exactly. I have no use for anything related to Xbox.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3