Saving files from SD Card in Win 10

Nemesis-X

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
My Dad wants to be able to insert his SD card from his Camera and have Windows automatically move the pictures and videos from that SD Card to a specific folder on one of his HD's, AND have the date appended to the files.

Can this be done?

Nemesis-X

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
So he wants to insert the card and wait while the photos are automatically removed, stored and labeled without him doing anything?

Yep, according to him, on his old machine and using a usb card reader, it did exactly that. But even if there was a way to have it automatically move the pics and videos to a designated folder would be welcome.

Dono Newcomb

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Definitely sounds possible, but that sounds like a 3rd party application that came with his card reader, so I would start there. Maybe search for photo management software or something. Or if someone knows how to code, it probably wouldn't take much to throw together something that could handle that, but it could get tricky considering it would need to not handle just any storage device plugged into the computer the same way. If I come across anything I will post it, if you find something please share it with us.

Nemesis-X

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I'm thinking you're probably correct in that it would be the software that came with the card reader. I'll find out what make it was and follow that to see if I can find the software and possible it will work with any card reader apart from it's own brand. Will report back.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
You can write your own application to do it. You could use a scripting language. You could even write a batch file to do it if you use a little logic. I imagine you could also use power shell. The logic you would need to do this is to read the card and if there are graphics files copy then copy to the picture locations>if there are no graphics file end.

Now you could create separate folder on the hard drive for the date and you could use a command to delete the files form the SD card after they are copied.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
My Dad wants to be able to insert his SD card from his Camera and have Windows automatically move the pictures and videos from that SD Card to a specific folder on one of his HD's, AND have the date appended to the files.

Can this be done?

What brand of camera does you Dad have? Sony, Canon, Nikon and the like used to offer bundled software with cameras that did exactly what you are looking for. I'm sure some decent 3rd party software is capable of same too. Could try going to the manufacture's website of your Dad's camera, find support link and see what they have to offer. It was never my thing as "we" like to control what transfers and what doesn't so haven't used such in a very long time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa