Win 10: direct ethernet connection issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

adityasiddharth

Jan 28, 2018
Visit site
I have two laptops, both from work. One is an HP Spectre 360 and another is a Surface Pro 5. Both are set up on my work domain and both run Windows 10. I need to connect the two directly via an ethernet cable and share folders.

I have connected the two devices through an ethernet cable; set the two devices to a Static IP (192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.3), subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. Gateway and DNS are blank.

Network sharing is turned on, on both devices (although, on the Surface, when clicking on 'Network" in Windows Explorer it still gives an error that Network sharing is turned off).

I can ping each device from the other through the ping command on the command line and I get a response. However, I just cannot Map Drive or type \\192.168.1.X from Run to connect to the other device.

I have tried with both a regular ethernet cable as well as a cross cable. I can ping each device from the other in both instances,however I still cannot map a drive. The error is 'network path not found'.

Any suggestions on how I can resolve this issue?

adityasiddharth

Jan 28, 2018
Visit site
Thank you, however that tutorial describes sharing an internet connection. While some aspects are similar to the setup I need, it does not address sharing folders between the two PCs.

adityasiddharth

Jan 28, 2018
Visit site
Thanks. There are several guides on the internet that suggest this approach. My setup is identical except for one critical detail. They all suggest setting up both devices on the same Windows Workgroup. My devices are on a domain. I am concerned about changing that to a workgroup even temporarily since Windows pops up a nasty warning "if you disconnect from this domain, your administrator may restrict access to certain resources as well as delete data from the device. Also, please save your Bitlocker key in another place to rejoin this domain." So, either I need an approach that works with my devices being on a domain OR I need some assurances that the Windows warning about disconnecting from the domain is just a scare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre