Possible Use for My 950

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I just became aware of the Light Phone 2. If you are not familiar, the Light Phone was an Indiegogo campaign that produced a small, light phone that only did phone calls. Those people who bought it were happy with it. The Light Phone 2 will only do phone calls, texts, and a few other functions like alarm, navigation, etc. It will have an e-ink touchscreen. There will be no social media, web browser, news reader, games, etc. It's like a high-tech feature phone without being like a kid's phone or an elderly person's phone. It doesn't come out for another year.

I wanted to experiment with this minimalist type of phone. I realized I already have a minimalist phone, because my 950 is obsolete due to a lack of apps or support from all the big social media platforms. Well, that's perfect. I pulled out my 950 and uninstalled all non-essential apps and simplified my start screen. I want to see if I can keep this phone and not look at the screen unless I get a call or need to text my wife or friends.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I never thought about doing this with a Windows Phone. I think that's a great idea, please keep us posted how it goes for you.

I'm considering giving this a try myself, thanks for the idea.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Remember the nophone? I'd go with that personally . I just need to stop relapsing...
Check it out. It's for us mobile phone addicts!
https://www.thenophone.com/products/the-nophone

Product Description:

Over 15,000 people have made the brave choice to switch to a NoPhone. With a thin, light and completely wireless design, the NoPhone acts as a surrogate to any smart mobile device, enabling you to always have a rectangle of smooth, cold plastic to clutch without forgoing any potential engagement with your direct environment. Never again experience the unsettling feeling of flesh on flesh when closing your hand.

For Prime members, NoPhone is also available on Amazon.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Remember the nophone? I'd go with that personally . I just need to stop relapsing...
Check it out. It's for us mobile phone addicts!
https://www.thenophone.com/products/the-nophone

Product Description:

Over 15,000 people have made the brave choice to switch to a NoPhone. With a thin, light and completely wireless design, the NoPhone acts as a surrogate to any smart mobile device, enabling you to always have a rectangle of smooth, cold plastic to clutch without forgoing any potential engagement with your direct environment. Never again experience the unsettling feeling of flesh on flesh when closing your hand.

For Prime members, NoPhone is also available on Amazon.

I forgot about this. It wouldn't work for me anyway though. I need maps for directions.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I feel messaging is one of the biggest distractors these day so IMHO the Light Phone 2 misses its mark for intended purpose. Think the NoPhone was one of those "sounds so bizarre I think we can sell it" moments, and they did. :grin:

Anyhow back on track...

Any phone can be minimalist but Windows Phone kinda takes the lead here IMHO. Good luck with your experiment and let us know how you make out.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I feel messaging is one of the biggest distractors these day so IMHO the Light Phone 2 misses its mark for intended purpose. Think the NoPhone was one of those "sounds so bizarre I think we can sell it" moments, and they did. :grin:

Anyhow back on track...

Any phone can be minimalist but Windows Phone kinda takes the lead here IMHO. Good luck with your experiment and let us know how you make out.

Yeah, it really does. You're right about any phone working for this but the OP is right, not having as many apps means less temptation to cave. I am considering trying this with a tweak for 2 days...

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Yeah, it really does. You're right about any phone working for this but the OP is right, not having as many apps means less temptation to cave. I am considering trying this with a tweak for 2 days...

Now the OP just has to resist the temptation of reactivating a function or app LOL. In all seriousness though, those that need such a phone would be better off with a basic flip phone, can't reactivate what never existed in the first place right.

I'm not a real big social media fanatic with email/text being an integral part of my work so cannot see repurposing my Windows Phones as such... The grand-kids probably would find it more useful as a media streaming device :grin:

Last edited:

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I already withdrew from all social media. Probably the biggest temptation for me is time-killing games like Threes or Spades, which W10M has in abundance. Other than that, I often scroll through news, which is too easily accessible through Cortana. That might be a challenge.

The functions I would still keep are phone, SMS, navigation, audio for the car (music (Groove, I guess), podcasts, Audible), alarms, weather, and camera/photos. I will keep email and calendar but try to avoid using them, although being able to enter a hair or dentist appointment is very convenient. I also use a grocery list app frequently.

Features that might tempt me back to my smartphone lifestyle (i.e., my Android device) are Google Pay, Happy Cow, YouTube, IMDB, and travel apps. I might still use my Android while traveling, because Google Maps is much better than Microsoft Maps, and it's convenient to check bank accounts or look up restaurants on the go. I tried using my 950 almost a year ago in Mexico, and it left a lot to be desired. Uber and Lyft on Android are pretty necessary while traveling. I used Uber to get around San Francisco. I traveled around Japan using Google Maps. I just couldn't do that with W10M.

Elky64 is right that any smartphone can be made minimalist. I know many people who have an iPhone but don't use most of its capabilities. After withdrawing from social media my Android is pretty minimalist compared to other peoples' smartphones. I'm trying this experiment so I can keep my S7Edge the way it is so I can switch back and forth. Plus, my 950 is slightly smaller and lighter and already is a feature phone of sorts. I simply cannot get some apps on it, which is fine by me.

Last edited:

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site

If you look at the comments for the Light Phone 2, you can see the potential to totally miss the point. So many people have certain apps and functions they think are essential. If they try to make everybody happy, it will end up being another smartphone. I could live without most of their suggestions.

Raghunath Waltz

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
I think you may use it for educational purposes (if you are a student), like using it for reading books, doing homework and all kinds of that stuff. You can use it to learn languages (Duolingo is a very good app for that and it still supports the platform). There is this website called www.archive.org where you can find e-books, music, videos, movies of the bygone era (90's and 2000's). You can use it for recording your podcasts. These are what I am doing.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Already sent my Lumia 930 away for recycling, will be picking up a Galaxy S8 in a couple of weeks when prices drop, then my Lumia 950 will be going for recycling to. No point having them when support is ending next year, might as well get £ for them instead.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So what would be everyone’s “basic” uses for such a phone?

Mine would be calls, text, email and a decent weather app.

I thought of you with joining in on trying this out, and that is what I have going on, but also camera (so if I need to take a picture of something as a reminder or so, I can do that), directions, calendar, and along with other information apps (Not news apps, but like signal, my carrier app to track my data usage, etc). I have slightly modified it for my own uses.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I already withdrew from all social media. Probably the biggest temptation for me is time-killing games like Threes or Spades, which W10M has in abundance. Other than that, I often scroll through news, which is too easily accessible through Cortana. That might be a challenge.

The functions I would still keep are phone, SMS, navigation, audio for the car (music (Groove, I guess), podcasts, Audible), alarms, weather, and camera/photos. I will keep email and calendar but try to avoid using them, although being able to enter a hair or dentist appointment is very convenient. I also use a grocery list app frequently.

Features that might tempt me back to my smartphone lifestyle (i.e., my Android device) are Google Pay, Happy Cow, YouTube, IMDB, and travel apps. I might still use my Android while traveling, because Google Maps is much better than Microsoft Maps, and it's convenient to check bank accounts or look up restaurants on the go. I tried using my 950 almost a year ago in Mexico, and it left a lot to be desired. Uber and Lyft on Android are pretty necessary while traveling. I used Uber to get around San Francisco. I traveled around Japan using Google Maps. I just couldn't do that with W10M.

Elky64 is right that any smartphone can be made minimalist. I know many people who have an iPhone but don't use most of its capabilities. After withdrawing from social media my Android is pretty minimalist compared to other peoples' smartphones. I'm trying this experiment so I can keep my S7Edge the way it is so I can switch back and forth. Plus, my 950 is slightly smaller and lighter and already is a feature phone of sorts. I simply cannot get some apps on it, which is fine by me.

I never got to say thank you for this thread. You're so right about different people having different stuff that they need. I have an idea for you, for the times when you do need Google Maps, why don't you download the maps to use offline? That way, you will still have them available to you.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I thought of you with joining in on trying this out, and that is what I have going on, but also camera (so if I need to take a picture of something as a reminder or so, I can do that), directions, calendar, and along with other information apps (Not news apps, but like signal, my carrier app to track my data usage, etc). I have slightly modified it for my own uses.

I like the idea of converting my SE to a phone like this.
Might just work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750