The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    I restarted my computer the other day in an attempt to sort out a wifi problem but when the laptop started back it it was stuck in the automatic system repair loop. I want to install a clean windows 10 but to get my documents on a USB stick first. How do it do this?
    (I have Windows 10 and a Lenovo y50)
    It won't let me do an in-place refresh.
    Last edited by Mog Zog; 03-03-2018 at 02:29 PM.
    03-03-2018 01:59 PM
    option 1:
    if the data drive is removeabl3, you can remove it and mount it onto another working computer using external drive enclosure/reader. then dump the data on to a USB stick.

option 2: get a bootable preinstall environment CD or USB drive. Systernals may have something.

option 3:
    make a bootable Windows installer CD or USB drive using Media Creation Tool. see if you can do an in-place refresh keeping all your data.
    03-03-2018 02:23 PM
    Just had this problem yesterday with a friends desktop PC, infinite boot-loop (could not restore to previous version) after a Windows 10 update. Removed the HDD, installed in an external dock (can use an enclosure), then connected to another PC to access and backup files.

Options 2&3 suggested by midnightfrolic might work too but there's no guarantee they won't screw something up as well... I have little faith in MSFT's abilities these days to automate successfully so would strongly recommend option #1 if your files have any signifiant importance to you.

If you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself or don't have the resources, find a friend that'll offer their assistance.
    03-03-2018 08:10 PM