Who is fed up enough to leave Microsoft 100% after W10m?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I am guessing you use SIRI?
What about Apple cloud storage?
Do you use that?

Yep, I use Siri. I don't need much from it, just for song ID and occasional things, like when is the next movie showing.

Nope, I don't use iCloud. I backup my iPhone using iTunes, which works great. I still use OneDrive for camera roll backup.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Do whatever you feel best. I'm a heavy MS user at work. I have three Windows machines at home. However, i switched mobile to Iphone and haven't looked back. While i like UNIX, I can't see switching over to Apple PC's without a really good reason. I just run Ubuntu in a VM when needed.

I do still occasionally look at my 950XL on my desk. Though I am having issues with the mouse ATM.

My kids couldn't care less about me, Android, or Iphone. One had aLG V20 and the other has an Iphone 6.

No one will judge you.

Sent from mTalk on my HP Elite X3

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Who is fed up enough to leave Microsoft 100% after W10m?
Not yet. Maybe never. I bounce back and forth between platforms/hw trying to see if I absolutely need to leave Microsoft services and devices. If it makes sense and where the benefits really lie. Sometimes its really frustrating dealing with W10M and certain Lumias. That goes with the territory nowadays though...Plus, I'll put a twist on it here, what is "after W10M"? Microsoft had/has a journey ahead of them folks and not sure they'll ever be what they were or could have been in the mobile space. But time certainly will tell...

In the mean time having to choose primarily between iOS and Android Oreo or P hardware for a new device stinks. I'd give over a pay check just to see a pocketable SD835 Mobile Windows device show up that I can use instead.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd give over a pay check just to see a pocketable SD835 Mobile Windows device show up that I can use instead.
The real pisser is that W10M doesn't need a top-flight CPU like Android does. We can go back and forth all day about app crashes or bugs but performance has never been an issue with any of the SD800 series phones starting with the Ativ SE. Coincidentally, has anybody noticed how frequent app crashes and freezes have become since Oreo released? It's like being on Gingerbread all over again.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The real pisser is that W10M doesn't need a top-flight CPU like Android does. We can go back and forth all day about app crashes or bugs but performance has never been an issue with any of the SD800 series phones starting with the Ativ SE. Coincidentally, has anybody noticed how frequent app crashes and freezes have become since Oreo released? It's like being on Gingerbread all over again.
Heck ya. Performance is golden. I just want a Lumia with a newer cpu to take advantage of the battery performance. If only that RM-1162 would have lived...

I mean the SD820 on the idol 4s and 3000mAh battery life is like what a Pixel 2 xl SD835 3520mAh gets.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Do you find Siri to be better/more helpful than Cortana?

I don't really notice a difference since I only use it for song id primarily and the occasional question, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. Since Cortana doesn't even have song ID anymore, Siri has that edge by default for me.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't really notice a difference since I only use it for song id primarily and the occasional question, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. Since Cortana doesn't even have song ID anymore, Siri has that edge by default for me.
Likewise, I never used Cortana for anything other than song identification, which is also the only thing I use Google Now for. I was never a fan of talking to my phone, so that is all I've ever used Cortana and Google Now for on my Windows and Android mobile devices.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Likewise, I never used Cortana for anything other than song identification, which is also the only thing I use Google Now for. I was never a fan of talking to my phone, so that is all I've ever used Cortana and Google Now for on my Windows and Android mobile devices.

I use Cortana a little more because I'm in my truck a bit. Obviously to read my texts but also to dial numbers for me, launch and send an occasional time-sensitive email and keep me up to date with my sports teams. Neither Siri or Google Now are as well versed as Cortana for capitalizing and punctuating. Rarely do I have to edit anything she puts out except for some unique Hispanic names I run into every day. I do wish she had some Español skeelz.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I've using Cortana more and more - set reminders, find things on the web and hands are full. I was hoping to get more before they murdered W10m - like have it convert my voicemail to text or have it find things from OneDrive....

Al moon

Feb 2, 2018
Visit site
I guess im on the opposite side of the spectrum i came from android and ios and to be honest i dont miss much if anything from either of those 2 OS's i do however miss BB10 that was an exceptional OS.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Agree with all you said. The animosity some have for Android or iOS is just personal. I can’t be bothered putting any energy in hating an inanimate object that can’t hurt me at all.

I moved to iOS, not because I disliked Android, more because I wanted to simplify my technology. It just fit better.....right now. We all know that can and probably will change. That’s why I won’t marry or defend any one platform.

No dude, it is not personal, it is an accurate portrayal of the OS. Android is disruptive, fragmented, highly non integrated and straight up hit and miss. App support through email is a hope you get a response type of support. Most of the basic features that W10M has is not even available in Android, any version.

The fact that you can "customize" Android does not make that a strength but a weakness. That, along with Google's anti competitive practices makes it a no fun to use. I have a Sony Xperia XA1 which is good enough but, I have turned it off and will now use my Idol 4s with Windows and my new Elite X3 for the foreseeable future.

It is what it is and Android is what it is because of how it started out. Something as basic as reading texts over a cars bluetooth system does not even exist in Android.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Well to be frank then I like Windows 10 Mobile and I love my Lumia 950 XL, but the constantly reboot thing, and when none of the methods can fix it, the sudden bug after last update that makes my phone stop receive calls or text messages unless I restart it and the discontinuing of quiet a few apps I use has made it very hard to keep as a useful phone. I have thrown the towel in the ring and I'm a die hard Windows 10 mobile fan. I just don't see the idea of keep using an OS that even Microsoft's own people are not using(Belfiore https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/917069242372993024 and Bill Gates both have changed to Android https://www.onmsft.com/news/bill-gates-now-uses-an-android-phone-with-lots-of-microsoft-software).

Beside that all the Microsoft apps I currently use are also available on Android.

I have gone for the Samsung Galaxy S8. I'm sure I'm gonna love that phone. I came from Android(Linux ;O) ) and I see no problem using the great Microsoft apps on a Android system at all.

Constant hardware issues are cause for concern and yes, you have to make a choice at that point. However, what someone else uses is of no concern to me, I know what I will use and what works best for me. So no, I will not be abandoning the MS Ecosystem.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
No dude, it is not personal, it is an accurate portrayal of the OS. Android is disruptive, fragmented, highly non integrated and straight up hit and miss. App support through email is a hope you get a response type of support. Most of the basic features that W10M has is not even available in Android, any version.

The fact that you can "customize" Android does not make that a strength but a weakness. That, along with Google's anti competitive practices makes it a no fun to use. I have a Sony Xperia XA1 which is good enough but, I have turned it off and will now use my Idol 4s with Windows and my new Elite X3 for the foreseeable future.

It is what it is and Android is what it is because of how it started out. Something as basic as reading texts over a cars bluetooth system does not even exist in Android.

Dude (really?), that is your portrayal.

Definition of portrayal: a description of someone or something in a particular way. A representation.

I believe your representation of Android as you have described it. That does not make it fact or the unified representation of everyone.

BTW, I use an iPhone so am not here to defend any platform. I use what works best for me......dude.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I moved (forced away more like it) from WP to Android and slowly weaning myself from MS. I gave up on Onedrive awhile back when MS took away (I know they are finally back but I'm not) placeholders. I like my Surface Pro but use it less and less now that I have an Android phone. MS really dropped the ball (I believe) when it got out of mobile.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I moved (forced away more like it) from WP to Android and slowly weaning myself from MS. I gave up on Onedrive awhile back when MS took away (I know they are finally back but I'm not) placeholders. I like my Surface Pro but use it less and less now that I have an Android phone. MS really dropped the ball (I believe) when it got out of mobile.
Which Android device did you get?

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site

Hmmm that's strange. And here I've been using Android for literally years with little to none of those idiosyncrasies you speak of, along with impeccable reliability and consistency day in and day out. According to your analogy, in all my time using Android I've been sorely deceived which is not cool not cool at all. So do you have any suggestions for my dilemma cuz now I'm in a panic state, really I am? :sweaty:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)