why did new phone update currupt my SD card?

greathookup

Mar 17, 2018
Visit site
I use Microsoft Lumia 550 windows 10, and it regularly updates without any problems, but just today the phone updated and it caused problems with my SD card making it unusable. What's happening? I know the fault is not with me. I have apps ive downloaded on SD card and I cant access them, delete or reinstall.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I usually get a notification, telling me there are issues with the card and it will be scanned/fixed. Takes about 10 min, but after that I can access all of my apps again. Didn't you get any options?

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Same routine as ven07 with my L830 A notification there are Issues with the card, do I want to scan and fix it and it's done in about ten minutes. It's such a relief to watch as all the greyed out tiles for the apps on the SD card come back to life one after another. But a couple of times when I didn't get that notification but couldn't access the card I did a battery pull, a soft reset, or both, and the phone got its act together eventually and got back to normal. I must admit, as much as I love my 830, I dread these monthly updates because I never know what I'll be faced with when the phone reboots. A couple of times it's been more than half a day to get up and running again, and once it took 36 hours. It's no longer reliable enough to use as my main phone.
I hope you've got it sorted and working by now?

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I use Microsoft Lumia 550 windows 10, and it regularly updates without any problems, but just today the phone updated and it caused problems with my SD card making it unusable. What's happening? I know the fault is not with me. I have apps ive downloaded on SD card and I cant access them, delete or reinstall.

So you are not getting the option to "scan and fix"? Are your personal files (photos, docs) seen/accessible? Have you tried a soft reset "w/phone turned on press and hold the volume down and power buttons until your phone vibrates and restarts"?

You may have to resort to drastic measures like formatting card and/or doing a hard reset of phone. If it comes down to any of these I'd try and see if a PC can see card/files first in an attempt to recover any personal files if there's a need before going those routes.

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes it might be a good idea to check, maybe using a PC, if new files can be written to the card *and* they exist there after ejecting and re-inserting... One of my cards went to read-only mode (if it's due to a card error, there's no way out) and it took a while to understand what had happened. I'm not blaming W10M directly 😉

covfefe

Banned
Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
I've had corrupt SD cards before (3 I think) and I strongly suspect they were cooked in the device by the insane heat generated. :eck:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster