04-10-2018 12:59 PM
95 1234
tools
    ah, notifications. i used it so much. because when i am using my laptop, i rarely looking at my phone because i think i don't want to be distracted by operating more than one devices at one (especially if i'm doing a serious work), and notification center helped so much. it's true that most notification is already on my phone, chat, email, and so on.

hey, i even installed pushbullet on my phone and laptop so when i use my laptop, i don't need to look at my phone. so the notifications center helped me so much
    04-07-2018 04:47 PM
    I use it a lot specially when I was still using windows phone and replying to text messages through my pc
    04-07-2018 05:00 PM
    Notifications are just something I too end up clearing without looking at them.

I've switched (possibly temporarily) to Edge since the Fall Creators Update hit the slow ring. Wanted to give the latest version a true run to see if it's a viable alternative to Chrome for me. One of it's worst features is that it pumps all browser notifications into the windows notifications. Sites like YouTube and LinusTechTips end up just spamming the notification drawer. In chrome they appeared as overlays in the browser that were easily acknowledged and dismissed.
    04-07-2018 05:06 PM
    Considering I still use a L950 they are great for incoming texts and/or calls, which are perfectly synced. I also use them for select apps, such as Mail/Calendar, and a few other select apps.
    04-07-2018 05:14 PM
    I have configured notifications to work only for specific apps, and it works great. I only see what I want to see.
    04-07-2018 05:24 PM
    I use notifications both in the Action Center only and also as Banners. I keep my sound down so a low chime isn't distracting. If the Action Center gets full or unwanted banners show up, I check my app settings. Notifications work for me.
    04-07-2018 05:46 PM
    I find them very useful especially for WC, MSPowerUser, Twitter, calendar and mobile sync. Great feature!
    04-07-2018 05:46 PM
    I use them all the time on both my phone and my PC. In fact I even find it useful to get my phone notification on my desktop. If there are apps that I do not want to notify me, I simply go into the settings and turn it off for that app. No big deal. I would be lost without them now.
    04-07-2018 06:11 PM
    I feel your pain, man. I, too, find myself clearing notification without really reading them. However, I do wish to be notified, but the notification engine needs more smarts:

For instance I get the same Facebook notification twice: Once from the Facebook app that's installed on my laptop and once from the app installed on my smartphone. The notification center should intelligently handle this kind of duplication.

Similarly calendar events and reminders should disappear once the event has taken place. There should be an expiry date you can set so you're not bothered by stuff that' s, say more than a week old.

There may be other ideas which don't occur to right now that could drop useless notifications. Maybe Cortana could study your behavior.

In summary then, I do like reminders on my laptop, but right now it's too much work to distinguish the few I want from the many I don't.
    04-07-2018 07:21 PM
    I use the notifications and like them.
    04-07-2018 07:42 PM
    Yes, love them. They just need to sync a little better, i.e. in a timely fashion.
    04-07-2018 07:57 PM
    I've been wondering if anyone uses notifications in Windows 10. I find myself just clearing the list all the time without looking at it really cause I'm anyways looking at the apps I work with that usually the notifications listed are old anyway. I've put it in Do Not Disturb me or whatever is called now too because every second or minute something comes in and is annoying.

I guess most of my feeling isn't so much Windows related. It's just we are so inundated with notifications from everything, they've become another thing to manage.

How do you notifications, or use them to help you in Windows? In interested in ways you use it so I can perhaps do the same. Thanks
    Of course I use notifications! Why wouldn't I?
    04-07-2018 09:14 PM
    I use them all the time. Way too many apps try to send notifications and run in the background, wasting my resources and killing my battery on my Surface, but, just like with my phone, I cull the list of the apps to only include those important to me.

Once I had that done, Windows Notifications became super useful.

The generic fluff of all default, is just noise, but then again, it is on an iOS and Android too.
    04-07-2018 09:35 PM
    Of course I use notifications. I guess those who say they don't never actually use their computer and spend all their time on their phones.
    04-07-2018 09:36 PM
    BTW, get your app working properly... I tried three times to send this in the app, which failed every time, then the app crashed... Then I couldn't even get it to open the article on the web... As an app developer myself, I know that none of that is hard, i have both features in several of my apps. Please fix...
    04-07-2018 09:37 PM
    yea
    04-07-2018 09:51 PM
    Nope not at all, no need.
    04-07-2018 10:03 PM
    Of course I use notifications. I guess those who say they don't never actually use their computer and spend all their time on their phones.
    Use a computer quite regularly yet my phone is our go-to device for notifications. Never had the need with past versions of Windows and definitely no need now.
    04-07-2018 10:07 PM
    Notifications are useful to me on a mobile formfactor like a smartphone, but on a pc/tablet their frankly distracting. To me notificatoins have no value in windows 10 for me. I never use it really. For me the function of the action center is more valuable the way it works in windows 8, like the charmsbar, with search and settings, -quick actions-, for me being the main reasons to go there. Windows has had a legacy of being bombarded with notications, even in previous itterations of windows, to point of annoyance and distracting and counterproductive for me. Windows has enough alternatives for notifcaitons in action center, like the familiar notification popups from the web, apps and OS, live tile notifications on the tiles and counter badges on pinned icons on the taskbar and the apps/legacy programs themselves. Enough distraction to keep one busy from the real task at hand.
    Instead I would like to see the windows/cortana search bar moved to the action center. That would be more valuable to me.
    What do you mean windows has a legacy of being bombarded with notifications. They have worked the same way as any other phone notification system, you have to disable the ones you don't want otherwise you get them by default. It was no different on windows.
    04-07-2018 10:13 PM
    I don't draw a distinction between mobile or desktop - it's all a real-time portal into what's going on in the world. Therefore I want the same notification functionality, with the same apps, on both PC and mobile. It's a big reason I think a future Surface device that runs WOA and takes full advantage of Continuum to be both mobile and desktop is ideal.
    04-07-2018 10:35 PM
    I want the pop-ups (toast). I do not use the notification/action center. I don't use it on my Lumia devices, either. I never found a need for it and I still don't. All I need are toast notifications and live tiles. That's it.
    04-07-2018 11:36 PM
    Then you would be incorrect. Some of us have a very specific set of criteria for usefulness. I use the toast notifications. I use live tiles. I do not like nor do I use the action/notification center. It is a useless feature for me. I spend all day on either my PC, tablet or phone. I've never needed to look at a list of my old notifications. Live tiles tell me if there's anything updated, so I can always open the tile up to see what happened.
    04-07-2018 11:40 PM
    I use them more. Got used to the notification center on my Mac. The fly-out box is a bit annoying...I wish they would just offer a transparent Pop-up bubble or maybe a small banner at the the too of the screen like Android. I wonder if Modern/Metro is starting to show its age as well...
    04-08-2018 12:23 AM
    I use notifications, purely because it lets me deal with them later if I need to. I do have Focus Assist set up though as that helps cut down on interruptions.
    04-08-2018 12:59 AM
    I have turned off all notifications on my computer, but i did get one yesterday from defender saying if have not found any infections and that my computer have been scanned six times since when ever, strange really because i thought I disabled defender. I must have a look at that.

I find notifications distracting, unless it is something really important like my computer is over heating and my CPU is going to burst into flames. :)
    04-08-2018 01:55 AM
95 1234