04-10-2018 12:59 PM
95 1234
tools
    Of course I use notifications. I guess those who say they don't never actually use their computer and spend all their time on their phones.
    No. maybe some but not all. I use my computer a lot more than I use my phone, but i do not use the Ms eco-system. I have disabled cortana, I do not use windows apps, so there is no need for them to send me notifications, if i plug a usb into my computer i know what I plugged in, so I do not need Windows telling me a usb device have been plugged in.

My email is done via thunderbird.

So what have windows notification got left to tell me?
    walmirlanza likes this.
    04-08-2018 02:02 AM
    Nope, i disabled the notifications-center. Even the icon on the bottom right is not visible. I also deinstalled EMail, Calendar, Contacts and so on. So i use 90% only PWAs (ChromeApps or Shortcuts to the Web) on my Win10. Sometimes i think, it would be better to buy a Chromebook than this WIndows 10 Notebook :-( BUT anyway, i use notifications. But NOT with WIndows10, but with CHrome Notifications also on Desktop. Works perfect!
    04-08-2018 03:08 AM
    At work - quiet hours always on, at home I bulk-clear them once in a while.

Notifications mostly noise, also on my (android) phone. I try to manage notifications so they're useful, but I'm loosing the battle. These days I even ignore phone or watch vibrating, because I can't figure out which of the tens of notifications wanted my attention.
    04-08-2018 03:15 AM
    YES! And I use it everyday at work. I love it!
    04-08-2018 04:30 AM
    I use it for Twitter, Teams, Outlook, Skype, Messenger and my news apps. Facebook though is out for pasture. I only use my job cell phone to receive and make calls. Email on our cell phone are forbidden due to GDPR and NIS and company regulations, since I am working for a state owned company within the e-Health sector.
    04-08-2018 04:35 AM
    I use them to receive SMS when I'm at my PC, I can also reply to them from the notification centre. Android phone linked to PC with Cortana, works really well
    04-08-2018 04:54 AM
    Yeah I do all the time, just wish there was a way for them to automatically not pop up when watching a video on full screen. I know you can make them quiet automatically when playing games but as far as I know not for videos
    Joe920 likes this.
    04-08-2018 04:58 AM
    What's wrong with you... Yeah you are right it does not make sense for you to be using a windows device
    04-08-2018 05:00 AM
    I use notifications all the time. I also bound Win+A on a mouse button for convenience. It had honestly never occurred to me that someone might not use them - I find the Action Centre to be an integral part of Windows. I especially appreciate the ability to reply to Skype conversations directly in the notification. Cortana also does a great job at synchronising notifications across my devices (home desktop, work laptop, phone).
    04-08-2018 05:36 AM
    I use them at work I find them really useful especially as people use different messaging types email, skype, text etc. So if your in a job or its a priority you keep up to date from multiple communication streams, then you really appreciate this feature.
    04-08-2018 06:08 AM
    I find it useful, just that I got no useful notifications right now. Hopefully will change in future.
    04-08-2018 07:57 AM
    I use them. But some are just noise and while I know it is on the dev to implement universal dismiss, not even Microsoft is using that feature with their own apps - so everyone complains about dismissing the same notification on several devices - which I agree is poor design, and personally I think it is the greatest flaw of the current iteration of the notification system.

Sometimes there are delays as well. It is not a good experience for me.
    FYI: I live in a country without Cortana support (could be why)
    neo158 likes this.
    04-08-2018 08:55 AM
    I use them a lot, they are especially useful for calendar reminders. I find the notifications in Windows 10 a massive improvement over Windows 8, where they would show up and then be gone forever. I'm surprised so many turn them off.
    neo158 likes this.
    04-08-2018 09:55 AM
    nah, I turned them off can be quite annoying at times. I do like notifications from other devices like my phone for example.
    04-08-2018 11:57 AM
    Yes, I use it. I just wish it would stop giving me old notifications from time to time.
    Rahsna Asurac likes this.
    04-08-2018 12:18 PM
    I do. For WhatsApp, Messenger, Calendar and emails (but I could live without email notifications though).

Tube cast has a nice notification a la Android YouTube app that is quite nice.
    04-08-2018 12:21 PM
    Nope, i disabled the notifications-center. Even the icon on the bottom right is not visible. I also deinstalled EMail, Calendar, Contacts and so on. So i use 90% only PWAs (ChromeApps or Shortcuts to the Web) on my Win10. Sometimes i think, it would be better to buy a Chromebook than this WIndows 10 Notebook :-( BUT anyway, i use notifications. But NOT with WIndows10, but with CHrome Notifications also on Desktop. Works perfect!
    I more or less done the same as you, including getting rid of Cortana well and truly. A chromebook would be no good to me as it will not run the software I want to run and at the end of the day that is all I want Windows to do is run the software I want to use, not what Ms thinks i should use.
    04-08-2018 12:24 PM
    I do. For WhatsApp, Messenger, Calendar and emails (but I could live without email notifications though).

Tube cast has a nice notification a la Android YouTube app that is quite nice.
    04-08-2018 12:28 PM
    Nope, find the notification center useless and irritating.
    04-08-2018 01:37 PM
    nope never used them and no need for them
    04-08-2018 01:59 PM
    I'll just say you people (who don't use them) are using your PC wrong. Not completely wrong, but you're using it like it's Win95. Try to be more open, and not dismiss anyting new immediately just because it's not what you're used to. That adaptive way of thinking is what brought all the innovation to the world.

As for the notifications, I don't really TRY to use or not use them. They pop-up occasionally, and when it's something I care about of course I'll open it (like when a torrent finishes downloading, I get an email, a mention on Twitter or some other social thingy).
    04-08-2018 02:05 PM
    Hmm, haven't really thought about it much. They are there. Sometimes useful, sometimes get in the way. My biggest annoyance is when I have spent the day on my phone and sit down at my desk, I wiggle the mouse, and the day's notifications pop in one after another. You'd think by now MS could get some sort of sync right. Then the two finger swipe to clear has only worked for me on the build it was introduced. Every build after that has not (I'm on skip ahead on the machine that I'm talking about). I suppose I could take more responsibility in managing/setting up the notifications I care about, but I don't think I'd miss them. On top of the quick action panel seems like the wrong place for them BTW.
    04-08-2018 07:02 PM
    Never used notifications on PC and frankly, they're redundant since they don't clear out automatically after being read/deleted on my phone. It's irritating to wake the PC (laptop, whatever) and get bombarded by 20-30 emails and texts that were dealt with an hour before.

Email, SMS, calendar and Cortana are my only notifications but those alone are good for 100-150 per day. Weekends are about 20-30 combined so hooray weekend!

Sent from my Alcatel Idol 4S on mTalk
    04-08-2018 09:13 PM
    I do. They really don't bother me all that much.
    04-08-2018 09:42 PM
    Yes, i use it when i installed the Windows 10. It is a good reminder for me.
    04-08-2018 09:58 PM
95 1234