Does anyone use notifications?

wpcautobot

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been wondering if anyone uses notifications in Windows 10. I find myself just clearing the list all the time without looking at it really cause I'm anyways looking at the apps I work with that usually the notifications listed are old anyway. I've put it in Do Not Disturb me or whatever is called now too because every second or minute something comes in and is annoying.

I guess most of my feeling isn't so much Windows related. It's just we are so inundated with notifications from everything, they've become another thing to manage.

How do you notifications, or use them to help you in Windows? In interested in ways you use it so I can perhaps do the same. Thanks

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
It's bearable on W10M, but its kinda redundant on my laptop. Almost all the notification, especially mail, I'd have seen on my phone already

... !

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I limit my notifications to those that are of a time sensitive nature, i.e.; certain email accounts, reminders and appointments.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I do, but my use case is not the norm.

If there was 100% proper synergy between mobile devices an windows 10 o/s more people would be using it. As it stands that's where Microsoft is notably absent.

It's extremely aggravating that due to petty office politics we lost messaging everywhere in favour of a cumbersome Skype relay, which works once in a blue moon.

Personally, I find it rather embarrasing to see Dell completely whoop Microsoft's appalling excuse of a sync client into a hovel with their Mobile Connect Application. Microsoft had many years to get this right... and well here we are.

I sure as heck hope with Andromeda, we a get better sync client or at the very least on par when compared to Dell's Mobile Connect sync client. Since Andromeda is supposedly to be a companion device....

The way I see it, this is Microsoft's last chance to get mobile right (they were on track prior to the mobile division getting axed). As it's rumoured even Apple is jumping on the dual screen bandwagon due sometime in 2020.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Calendar one most important to me, I would like to chat more through it but not enough support that, like would rather WhatsApp use it, than web WhatsApp

I keep all notifications, no sweat to clear away a whole block of twitter or phone notifications

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I do but only for the few apps I actually want notifications for like mail, calendar, msn breaking news, chat apps like groupme or fb messenger. It's the same with my phone too though so I use it the same way as I would on my phone.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
First thing I do on a new Win10 PC is permanently turn on "Quiet hours" in the action center. :) So nope. Appointment and message alerts come in on my phone and my watch, so I'm good. "Defender found no threats", gee, thanks Windows!

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Definitely use them. More than my phone. In general I like to suppress notifications (on my phone too) but mail and messaging particularly I have on. And interact with them often. Just being able to delete or mark as read my uwp mail is very nice capability.

Last edited:

aerosidinc

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
nope. there is no app wise indicator on taskbar for notification. therefore i dont bother opening notification center and check which app has what notification. i rather open the app i care about and check it. and most of the time i happen to have checked all notification on my android notification, so its just redundant.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Notifications are useful to me on a mobile formfactor like a smartphone, but on a pc/tablet their frankly distracting. To me notificatoins have no value in windows 10 for me. I never use it really. For me the function of the action center is more valuable the way it works in windows 8, like the charmsbar, with search and settings, -quick actions-, for me being the main reasons to go there. Windows has had a legacy of being bombarded with notications, even in previous itterations of windows, to point of annoyance and distracting and counterproductive for me. Windows has enough alternatives for notifcaitons in action center, like the familiar notification popups from the web, apps and OS, live tile notifications on the tiles and counter badges on pinned icons on the taskbar and the apps/legacy programs themselves. Enough distraction to keep one busy from the real task at hand.
Instead I would like to see the windows/cortana search bar moved to the action center. That would be more valuable to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999