Did the last WM10 change blue-tooth pairing?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Last week I updated the infotainment software on my 2016 Ford so had to re-pair our phones (L950LX and Idol 4S). In the past, I would bring up the blue-tooth screen on the phone and tapped on pair in the infotainment system of the car and the car would show up on the phone and the phone would show up on the car's screen and you confirmed on both and done.

This time neither the phone or the car displayed the other, but the car asked if I wanted to search for more devices (or similar wording). I clicked on that and both saw the other and I proceeded like before. I didn't think much more about it and didn't know if the car or phone was operating differently than before.

Fast forward to today and I loaned my Cadillac to my son who was visiting and offered to pair his phone (L640). But neither displayed the other when trying to pair, just like when I last paired our phones in the Mustang. But the Cadillac didn't offer to search for more devices. So the phone could not be paired to the car. Neither the phone or car were bumping up on limits of how many pairings were possible.

The only common denominator is phones using the latest WM10 although I can't rule out some random failure of his phone's blue-tooth. Didn't have time to try with another car before he had to leave to preside over a wedding.

Seems he was ordained by some internet church for $25 because that was cheaper for his friend (who had been my son's best man) than paying for a "real" minister.

I hope something wasn't changed in WM10 that makes it so only cars that have the extra logic (whatever it might be) to try to find other devices to pair.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you have ruled out any affects of the software update to the car.
On your phone, remove the car from the BT devices list, restart, discover and pair again.
Don't know about your sons phone, didn't say if it had ever been paired before. If it had ever been paired before do the same for his.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you have ruled out any affects of the software update to the car.
On your phone, remove the car from the BT devices list, restart, discover and pair again.
Don't know about your sons phone, didn't say if it had ever been paired before. If it had ever been paired before do the same for his.
There has never been a software update to the Cadillac which is what the phone would not pair to.

The only updates since the last pairings were to the Ford and to the Phone. The phones still pair fine to the Ford. Hence the suspicion about how Windows has changed. After the last Windows update, the pairing procedure did change for the Ford but they still paired. So basically, what changed still worked but in a different way with the Ford but don't work with the Cadillac.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Update: I tried again when not rushed. The phone finally paired with the GM (Cadillac) but it took a LONG time compared to the past and compared to the Ford. I suspect, I may have gave up too soon but it did take a long time, as in minute (instead of seconds or less), between starting the process and the phone showing the car's pairing offer. I can live with it now that I know to wait.

Still wonder what changed in Windows to cause the extreme delays in one car but not others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)