Windows 10 Tablet mode

Hansani Archibald

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
How do you all feel about Windows 10 Tablet mode? I really loved it on Windows 8.1. I don't hate it now but I feel like something more cam be done? Maybe some kind of aesthetic that combines windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile? I'm not a developer so I don't know how feasible that would be?

y-ish

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I still feel Windows 10 isn't focused on tablet usage. While no doubt someone will state that they've tacked on new features the experience is diminished. Edge is still garbage in general but it's not even worth comparing to the Metro version of IE, if Vivaldi supported touch input better I'd never start Edge. The OSK activation is still just as iffy as it was when Windows 8 was released I've even had times in RS3 when I've hit the start button on a Surface to return to the Start screen and it's brought up the OSK... why?

Taking out the continuing glassification or whatever the hell they call it under RS4 the visual changes seem to fly against touch screen usage; the addition of "timeline" has resulted in smaller display of running apps & pushed them from centre screen towards the corner. Changes to Settings is like comparing Tiles in My Computer to Large Icons or Extra Large Icons.

Perhaps given apps have still not taken off despite increased sales and product range in the Surface line MS feels it's not worth resourcing to make the experience better, people still focus more on traditional computing - SP with keyboard cover & BT mouse for example, the addition of these Progressive Web Apps might see a shift back on touchscreen computing resources though I'm doubtful

Sylvrwulf

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I nearly only use tablet mode on my Surface Pro. As soon as I take it out of the sleeve, I flip the keyboard behind it and have the pen in my hand. If I'm at a desk, then keyboard is still under it and the stand is adjusted to studio mode. I do a lot of handwriting notes and sketches so that my "go to" mode. I only occasionally flip the keyboard back to use the mouse/keyboard. I do most all my navigating with fingers and pen. Other people ask me how I make it look easy while they hate it and I say its simply a matter of function and just "doing it". If you don't write on screen or use any ink features, its not a mode you really need. If you like laptops, then the Surface is an excellent, lightweight laptop. If you like tablets, then its perfect for that too. If you need a drawing board or writing notebook, its perfect for that too! It really is a fantastic, versatile device.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
The whole tablet part of Windows 10 is a mess. I get that Windows 8 was a complete different paradigm, one where you scrolls horizontally instead of vertically. But since no one had a W8 tablet and since WinRT8 APIs were quite limited, no one really made apps for it.

W10 swung in the opposite direction. Orientation agnostic, responsive design. And yet, the tablet mode on W10 is a joke. Inferior to W8.1 in every way. No other optimization for the tablet space. They even removed the highly useful split screen keyboard. Edge doesn't reach the greatness of IE Metro in UI and neither does Edge get any kind of special optimization for the tablet mode. Therefore, the tablet more is absolutely, completely pointless.

Microsoft doesn't seem to care about this aspect at all, so tablet mode is going to either stagnate like this forever or get removed entirely in the future, until Microsoft figures out what to do with it.

dan bruce

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro 4, which by the way has been a real piece of junk with many issues I have had to fix.

As far as tablet mode, I find it to be useless.

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Tablet mode has been my default in Windows since Windows 8. Tablet mode in 10 is both better and worse than Windows 8 in many ways, but it is still my preferred interface in my personal life.

Now for work, I use desktop mode. Not because it is better, but because the apps I use for work are not optimized for a touch/tablet experience. Adobe is still miles behind the curve in touch-based UX. Asana, Hipchat, etc. Don't even have Windows store apps, much less touch-friendly interfaces.

BanditoTR

Sep 1, 2017
Visit site
I've never used it because I don't have a Windows tablet or a 2in1 device but my friend swears by it and uses it exclusively for his 2 in 1 device.

Looks cool and easy to use. Reminds me a little of Windows Phone but in landscape mode. Would love it for a tablet or a 2in1 but I wouldn't replace it for a mouse or touch pad input like interface.

But as a media like device I would use that mode to replace my iPad. I don't really use it either way as I do everything that can do iOS on Windows but better.

Richard King5

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Its great! I've been using it on my 65 in as a media pc for a while now. The only thing I wish I could do is find a remote that would have a windows button and another button to switch apps with. Not sure why MS doesn't exploit the potential here.

win10_tabletmode_hm.jpg

Last edited:

DRDiver

Mar 19, 2018
Visit site
I absolutely loved Windows 8. I tolerate Windows 10, and it is positively horrible in Tablet Mode compared to Windows 8. I have all my computers configured to use Tablet Mode by default because it's still better than Desktop Mode. Sadly, Microsoft still refuses to give me the option to KEEP Tablet Mode on when you connect more than one monitor. The small icons (particularly the wireframe ones) are user-spiteful on touch. There's really not much about Windows 10 that works well on touch screens.

floppyedonkey

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I personally really enjoy "tablet mode" like AnakoAlbert mentioned when used on a device suited for it.
Thank you Microsoft for making a mode that works well with touch as the primary input method.

The tablet mode is new added to Windows 10 and it applies to the touch screen computer, tablet computer and surface devices. It is aims to let the desktop and modern interface coexist in harmony. Here is an article about it: 6 things you should know about Windows 10 Tablet mode

Luis Reis

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
How do you all feel about Windows 10 Tablet mode? I really loved it on Windows 8.1. I don't hate it now but I feel like something more cam be done? Maybe some kind of aesthetic that combines windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile? I'm not a developer so I don't know how feasible that would be?

The first iteration of Tablet mode in W8.1 was brilliant. That was a huge mistake, in my opinion, to change it as Microsoft did. I agree that the Desktop mode should be changed as it happened after all critics about the new OS! It is a shame that MS reacted as a beginner and changed more than was needed!

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I live 99% of the time in tablet mode on my SP3. I use the pen quite a bit for quick sketches, some text input. But when I know I'm going to have to write quite a bit, I'll go back to desktop with the keyboard.

I really do miss the W8.1 version over the W10 implementation. I've always said the MS should have put W10 GUI out first, then migrate to the W8.1 GUI. But hindsight is always 20/20

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
Love tablet mode. Love switching between and the way it operates in general. People just like complaining for the sake of it. Is it perfect? No, but at least it's not Andoid OS crap or boring crappy Crapple.

guilohazen

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I loved the way tablet mode worked in Windows 8/8.1, but I feel that the Windows 10 version is a step backwards. I still use it, but I really do miss the old tablet mode.

minhin

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Just to add a little perspective to where I am coming from. I owned and use Android, iPad and Surface Pro. I am not biased but windows 10 shares the same problem with all 3 tablets that I mentioned above. Here's the pro using Surface
  1. There are times when I watched Netflix lying down on a couch. I folded the keyboard back and watch like a tablet.
  2. When I go to site such as Windows Central such as right now. I want to write something.. like right now... I attached the keyboard and start typing. Convenient? you don't say.
  3. I use touch keyboard when I browse the web. Most of my frequented web site, all it takes is at most 5 keystroke because Windows auto completes for me. Again, no pain at all.
  4. When I am at work outside, I have surface pen to annotate, draw or page scroll on the MS Edge.

Here is where things fall a bit short.
  1. I am on Android watching Netflix, Hulu, or Vudu. All is good except when I search for something like a movie, touch keyboard pops up, all good
  2. I got an email from my co-worker. I have to reply and explain step by step to this guy. Damn... where's the Bluetooth keyboard? Well, I'll wait later to type it out on my surface.
  3. I got to work on the spreadsheet but I need a mouse because I have to cell copy formula over 100 lines. Damn where's touch pad when I need one.
  4. How about annotate on my android tablet? With that rounded tip stylus. Seriously?

I don't know about you, MS did something great with Windows 10 tablet.

allanwith

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I rarely use it, although I actually use it more often now than on Windows 8. It is far from perfect, but I like that it asks me if I want to switch modes. The pen experience is also much improved, making it much more productive.

I agree that the OSK is either too aggressive at times or too hard to make appear at other times. I am also missing thungs like even larger live tiles (would be great for photos) and better organization features for Start.

Spotify not supporting touch at all is ridicolous.

One of the things that are holding me back in terms of use of tablet mode is simply the size and weight of the Surface Pro, though. I have a 10” iPad which is much better suited for use as a tablet so I use that instead. In fact I am writing this on my iPad...

anon(9710967)

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
I think whether or not you like tablet mode will depend on what kind of Windows 10 PC you have in some case it's useful on laptops like the surface but conventional PCs are better in desktop

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I also feel that it still could do more to improve tablet experience. E.g. more swipes (though a thirdparty app like GestureSign does solve that partially) and e.g. allowing Edge to automatically hide the top border when in tablet mode. An option for transparent tiles (like how WM does it) would also be nice I think though that is just visually. Perhaps also an additional scaling option for tablet modus, so buttons etc get larger.

edit: I also think Edge should get an option that when in tablet modus the address bar is placed on the bottom of the browser window instead of on the top.

Last edited:

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

I use my surface pro and surface book extensively in tablet mode. It's improved in leaps and bounds since the first version of W10 arrived.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05