Problem restoring L640 to W10M

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Wasn't sure where to post, W10M, WP8.1, or Lumia 640.

My father's bought an Idol 4S and gave his L640 (unlocked T-Mobile) on W10M to his wife who had a failing L640 (unlocked AT&T) on W10M. All phones are on T-Mobile.

I moved her SIM and did a hard reset and started a restore of her L640 made just hours earlier.

The restore seemed to be going well, when an incoming call interrupted it. I guess I should have left the SIM out until the very end. Lesson learned.

After hanging up, the phone setup locked up. I don't recall the rest of the screen but it was one of the several, you normally just tap "next" on. But this time, tapping did nothing, "back" did nothing, turning off and on did nothing, a soft reset did nothing. %$^&.

So after waiting an hour for a miracle, I used the device recovery tool which of course took it back to WP8.1.

This time I bypassed the restore. But all the app updates failed with either a generic store error message or error C101B000. Search found no fix for either other than wait for MS to fix the store. Its now the next day, and still the same errors. Of course the ONLY one I really care about is Windows Insider because without that, the phone will be stuck on WP8.1 and she would not be able to deal with the differences (don't ask why).

I have a hard time believing the Windows store has been down almost a day without visible outcry on the web, so does anyone have any idea how to get out of this? And since it was a LONG time since I installed Windows Insider on anything, does that still work for updating an L640 to W10M? I hate to jump thru a lot of hoops to fix the C101B000 just to find the phone is still unusable by her because Insider no longer works.

lastly, in case it is somehow relevant, I see a symbol to the right of the WiFi strength I don't ever recall seeing. Here it is:

Attachments

• WP_20180412_04_52_55_Rich 1.png
    WP_20180412_04_52_55_Rich 1.png
    759.7 KB · Views: 10

SAVCU KML

May 21, 2017
Visit site
I am having this issue with my lumia930. I have tried these :
-Soft reset
-Hard reset
-Redownload all windows device recovery tool images. (deleted before programdata/packages/product)
-3 different e mail accounts which used on windows phone before
-changed possibilities on first setup screen. Likes disable auto update, share wifi password, join nokia team etc.

I think Microsoft has made these phones to torture us.
Isn't the icon on the right unread sms?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
This is ridiculous. Just in case her MS account was screwed up, I created a completely new MS account, did a hard reset, went thru the setup with the new account and I'm still getting a c101b000 error on every single app install.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe much in coincidence but watch this:

edit: Not sure why I can't add a Daily motion video to view in this post but here is a link: Weird

I sat the phone down on top of a wallet and it started making strange noises. Didn't do it on other surfaces and eventually stopped doing it on the wallet.

I find it hard to believe the phone just suddenly developed a hardware problem, much less one that just manifests itself with c101b000 errors and strange noises when resting on leather. So what is the REAL issue? Anyone ever hear those sounds from a phone?

SAVCU KML

May 21, 2017
Visit site
I can't watch your video but I guess it makes sounds because of your credit card. Touch and pay(or whatever) it comes enabled under nfc when you reinstall windows. Now I am trying other possibilities.
-Changing language to english
-Changing location to other countries

didn't work for store problem.

SAVCU KML

May 21, 2017
Visit site
I always have a secondary account for passing through from windows phone 8 to 10. If you don't do this new setup clears your current backup data(in onedrive) unless you were not doing it at night. Microsoft doesn't let us manage our backups.

(English is not my main language sorry for mistakes.)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I always have a secondary account for passing through from windows phone 8 to 10. If you don't do this new setup clears your current backup data(in onedrive) unless you were not doing it at night. Microsoft doesn't let us manage our backups.
Good point. Yes, you can lose a backup that way. I turned off backups but even if it still wiped out the last W10 backup, her old phone is still working (just doesn't ring half the time) so I can create a new one.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I answered your question back in 1 comment. It seems the moderator cancelled. Wallet noise is = nfc (tap and pay)
I never tried to set up tap and pay on MY Windows phone because I heard it was pretty limited. So maybe I don't understand it, but I wouldn't think the phone would react to a credit card unless maybe to link it to the phone which I would not expect to happen automatically or without some textual prompt to okay that happening. Like I said, I'm not up on that stuff.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Still nothing but c101b000 errors for all apps after resets and attempts to set up with different MS accounts.

Is this a universal problem for all Windows 8.1 phones after a hard reset?

SAVCU KML

May 21, 2017
Visit site
Try it now. Problem solved a few minutes ago. Some s o n of a b i t c.h decided to fix what is broken after I got another phone today. Thank you microshaft you didn't suprised me once again.

(Sorry for words that shouldn't be here but they deserve it so much)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Try it now. Problem solved a few minutes ago. Some s o n of a b i t c.h decided to fix what is broken after I got another phone today. Thank you microshaft you didn't suprised me once again.

(Sorry for words that shouldn't be here but they deserve it so much)
Thanks. I can install apps now. But since I used the device recovery tool out of desperation, I now have to go thru x updates to get back to W10M (fingers crossed it's still possible). Sorry you are in an even worse situation, buying a phone you don't need. I would have done the same except the seller hasn't responded to my counter-offer, so I dodged that bullet.

MS is despicable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb