Black screen post login after software update

Julian Williams2

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Two days ago my laptop automatically updated software from Microsoft. When I turned it back on I got the login screen, perfect, and logged on only to go to a black screen. The cursor is visable. Control Alt Delete still brings up the task manager but none of the fixes I've tried work (system restore, Dell Protect). I also get a SVChost.exe application error at 0x00007FFC59B8B290.

Anyone else with the same problem? Or even a solution?

Neil Pinnington

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
Two days ago my laptop automatically updated software from Microsoft. When I turned it back on I got the login screen, perfect, and logged on only to go to a black screen. The cursor is visable. Control Alt Delete still brings up the task manager but none of the fixes I've tried work (system restore, Dell Protect). I also get a SVChost.exe application error at 0x00007FFC59B8B290.

Anyone else with the same problem? Or even a solution?

I have a similar problem on my Win10 desktop. Only affects one user so planning to create new user and move files over as described by Microsoft. However wondering if there was any quicker way to check and fix the issue. It seems the system is constantly accessing the disk and the two most active processes are photos and wsappx.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I would restore your system to your previous image (the one you made before applying the update, or the most recent if you forgot). Then apply the update again. Sounds like something became broken during the update, it can happen.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm also having this problem after updating my Lenovo X1 Carbon today. I'm now trying to roll back to the previous version. all other recovery options have failed.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I have had such a black screen, but a short wait and it resolved. I didn't need to reinstall. Seriously, I would not rely on roll back in future. System Image is the only way to fly. Make one and then feel free to try the update as often as you need to. One tip, unplug all USB devices other than mouse and keyboard before updating, and reconnect them after it's all over.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have had such a black screen, but a short wait and it resolved. I didn't need to reinstall. Seriously, I would not rely on roll back in future. System Image is the only way to fly. Make one and then feel free to try the update as often as you need to. One tip, unplug all USB devices other than mouse and keyboard before updating, and reconnect them after it's all over.

Thanks for the USB recommendation. I had my laptop docked with everything connected as I usually do for these updates. I undocked it and ran the update without issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99