Figuring out what's getting plugged/unplugged

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes when I'm away from my computer, i'll here the little chimes indicating a device has been unplugged and plugged back in. I can't seem to find anything in the event log indicating this occurring. My main reason is I'm trying to figure out which device it is so I can determine if it's faulty or simply troubleshoot why its happening. It doesn't happen frequently enough that I'm at my computer whenever it happens though. And nothing is in the Action Center. So I'm somewhat at a loss for trying to figure out what device is doing this. Is there any way to see any sort of log of devices getting connected/installed to Windows?

pjhenry1216

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
It's a laptop. I have a Dell USB-C Hub plugged into it as the only peripheral into the laptop. It can't be the hub that's getting plugged/unplugged because the mouse/keyboard etc all appear to work while whatever device is in the unplugged state. It's the latest version of Windows 10 as of today (production, not insider builds). It's also fully updated.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's a laptop. I have a Dell USB-C Hub plugged into it as the only peripheral into the laptop. It can't be the hub that's getting plugged/unplugged because the mouse/keyboard etc all appear to work while whatever device is in the unplugged state. It's the latest version of Windows 10 as of today (production, not insider builds). It's also fully updated.
Are you using Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have this issue on a custom built desktop where I here the disconnect sound but nothing is disconnected.

This is on Windows 10 Pro x64 version 17134 build 1803 in the Insider Preview.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3