Photos App + OneDrive Only Photos = !

Bleser

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

I've loved the Windows 10 photos app on both the PC and W10M since it came out. It fits my needs exactly and is one of the highlights of the OS (and one of the main things I miss when I moved to Android).

For the first time since I've been using it, however, I've run into a problem starting in late March/early April. For some reason, recent photos that are on my OneDrive-only do not show up in the app. The gray squares are there (so it knows about them) but then they just pause only to show a "!" icon on them stating they cannot be shown. If I click on one it tells me my Internet connection is the problem, which is false; if I go to regular Windows Explorer mode I can see all of the photos, the thumbnails, and open the full images if I double-click them (even if they are cloud-only). New photos I'm taking continue to show this problem.

What is weird is if I go to Windows Explorer and choose a couple of the affected photos and mark them as "always keep on this device", then the Photos App shows them fine. So it is something to do with recent OneDrive-only content.

Is anyone else seeing this kind of behavior, or have you seen it in the past? Note that older OneDrive-only photos still show up fine - for example, everything prior to ~March 2018 - still shows fine - thousands of files and photos from 15 years ago.

I wonder if I've reached some kind of internal limit within the app? Again, all of the content is on OneDrive just fine and shows both directly in OneDrive and via Windows Explorer.

For what it's worth, my W10M photos app is behaving the same way with the same problem, so the bug is on both PC and Mobile.

Thanks for reading.

Lo zio

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Similar issue here.
I don't have any picture on my PC, as I realy heavily on onedrive sync; now recently the odd behaviour decribed above showed up, pictures and videos taken prior to april the 25th are not displayed. I tried to logout and log back in with no effect whatsoever, I did reset the photo app through settings which fixed the issue, but only temporarily.
The photo app on mobile does behave properly, though.
I have no clue how to fix this, suggestions appreciated!

Bleser

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, it is good to know I'm not the only one I guess.

What is odd is that pictures I took this weekend now don't exhibit this behavior, but the time range mentioned above still do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6