Windows 10 apps links, link to unknown targets. How to locate the targeted .exe ??

Whatever111

Jun 25, 2018
Visit site
The target inside the shortcut's properties is grayed out and you cannot even select it.

I tried to manually open the shortcut file with notepad, wordpad, notpad++ ,to look for the .exe inside, and even tho they open other shortcuts with windows 10 shortcuts i always get the same error "catastrophic failure" ??!

Sure i could go into the Windows 10 folder and take a lucky guess on which .exe it might be or run it first and then figure out which .exe is, from the taskmanager but i'd like a more straightforward approach.

To be clear, i have a shortcut on my desktop that opens a windows 10 app.
I want to send the .exe file to virustotal before i open it.
How do i find this .exe file ?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The target inside the shortcut's properties is grayed out and you cannot even select it.

I tried to manually open the shortcut file with notepad, wordpad, notpad++ ,to look for the .exe inside, and even tho they open other shortcuts with windows 10 shortcuts i always get the same error "catastrophic failure" ??!

Sure i could go into the Windows 10 folder and take a lucky guess on which .exe it might be or run it first and then figure out which .exe is, from the taskmanager but i'd like a more straightforward approach.

To be clear, i have a shortcut on my desktop that opens a windows 10 app.
I want to send the .exe file to virustotal before i open it.
How do i find this .exe file ?

If you are using the latest version of Windows (version 1803).

Presuming the W10 app is in a UWP container, then you will find the app files inside C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps but you may not find the .exe . You will need to enable show hidden files.

Whatever111

Jun 25, 2018
Visit site
If you are using the latest version of Windows (version 1803).

Presuming the W10 app is in a UWP container, then you will find the app files inside C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps but you may not find the .exe . You will need to enable show hidden files.

Actually Windows apps files can be anywhere there is no restriction to that.
I had mine in c:\games .
If you manage to open the .lnk file with a text editor it does writes the folder of the app but not the .exe file.
So i guess the answer to my question is that you can't locate the .exe file with 100% accuracy.

Also inside the .lnk file is the applications package name.
So you might be able to find info of the said package with some cmd commands but i wouldn't know about that.

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Actually Windows apps files can be anywhere there is no restriction to that.
I had mine in c:\games .
If you manage to open the .lnk file with a text editor it does writes the folder of the app but not the .exe file.
So i guess the answer to my question is that you can't locate the .exe file with 100% accuracy.

Also inside the .lnk file is the applications package name.
So you might be able to find info of the said package with some cmd commands but i wouldn't know about that.

Yes, you can change the install directory or devs can hard code a directory i.e a folder in the roaming folder but what I posted is the default directory that apps are supposed to use as a install directory. Windows does not sporadically install applications where ever it feels like lol....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos