Win 1803 self reparing?

bill-e

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I went to bed last night with a plethora of issues with my desktop. The computer was slow with everything lagging, Edge was crap. Avast was hosed. Multiple restarts and changes had no effect for the last week.

I got up this morning and it is still the same, I do another restart and it appears that everything is working fine. No lag anywhere, the computer is running very briskly. Avast is working. No Windows or Avast updates that I can see, it just started working!

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
There is alot of things that W10 does in the background and if you're a power user who wants to have absolute control over your PC so you can troubleshoot if some update messes something up.. it is absolutely aggravating. Especially when it decides to take 100% of the CPU cycles on a laptop and put the fans into max speed.

In regards to the issue with the links if you are using Edge, try Firefox with noscript and ublock. Edge for me has been reliable as a paper umbrella in a rain storm.

bill-e

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Links don't work on any browser or any of my 1803 PC's. Tried an un-updated laptop yesterday and it works fine so it's not my ISP.

The links in question seem to be anything related to advertising like google lead services which lead me to think it might be antivirus but turned both Avast and Malwarebytes off and still not connecting.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Links don't work on any browser or any of my 1803 PC's. Tried an un-updated laptop yesterday and it works fine so it's not my ISP.

The links in question seem to be anything related to advertising like google lead services which lead me to think it might be antivirus but turned both Avast and Malwarebytes off and still not connecting.

Have a look at the hosts file, that may have been altered?

Open notepad and go to:

c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.

It should read and nothing else:

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6