How secure is Windows 10 Mobile?

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Title is content.

Recently I was talking with some friends about a workout group called Camp Gladiator (much like Cross Fit) and the next day I saw ads for it in my FB feed. I never goggled or researched it, all we did was talk about it. That got me thinking about security and if Microsoft listens to us and mines are data as much or worse then Goggle.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Title is content.

Recently I was talking with some friends about a workout group called Camp Gladiator (much like Cross Fit) and the next day I saw ads for it in my FB feed. I never goggled or researched it, all we did was talk about it. That got me thinking about security and if Microsoft listens to us and mines are data as much or worse then Goggle.
There are a couple threads that already brushed on this topic here in the forum. There is one thread in particular that is a bit deeper, but I don't remember the name of the thread. In a nutshell all companies who have access to types of your personal data or even companies who have access to your private data use it in some way. How they define what they collect as personal or private is different for each and how they define what they do with it is different for each company.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
There are a couple threads that already brushed on this topic here in the forum. There is one thread in particular that is a bit deeper, but I don't remember the name of the thread. In a nutshell all companies who have access to types of your personal data or even companies who have access to your private data use it in some way. How they define what they collect as personal or private is different for each and how they define what they do with it is different for each company.
Thanks!

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
It's not microsoft, rather Facebook and google.

What I suspect that happens is that FB basically came to the conclusion that you met up with a friend and probably because your friend is searching, googling, liking, etc. the workout group, that it was probably canvassed in your discussion. After all, if you both show up in the same area, are friends on FB, and hang around at the same time for a while, it's probably safe to assume you met up.

I doubt they use microphones to listen in on conversations purely because, and this is the creepy bit; they don't need to! With a few assumptions on human behaviour, they've probably got it covered, and just assume that you talk about it. After all, you don't notice when the ads are way off the mark and completely irrelevant to you.

Also, if they did use microphones, I think it'd be less accurate, and chew through batteries and mobile data. This way, most of the stuff can be processed server side and your mobile data is conserved for precious targeted advertising.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
It's not microsoft, rather Facebook and google.

What I suspect that happens is that FB basically came to the conclusion that you met up with a friend and probably because your friend is searching, googling, liking, etc. the workout group, that it was probably canvassed in your discussion. After all, if you both show up in the same area, are friends on FB, and hang around at the same time for a while, it's probably safe to assume you met up.

I doubt they use microphones to listen in on conversations purely because, and this is the creepy bit; they don't need to! With a few assumptions on human behaviour, they've probably got it covered, and just assume that you talk about it. After all, you don't notice when the ads are way off the mark and completely irrelevant to you.

Also, if they did use microphones, I think it'd be less accurate, and chew through batteries and mobile data. This way, most of the stuff can be processed server side and your mobile data is conserved for precious targeted advertising.

I don't know. I'm thinking they mics. Just yesterday I met with a friend how traveling to Portland soon. We were talking about places he should visit (since I travel there twice a year for business). This morning, in my Google feed, there was a article about Must See Places and Things to do in Portland. My trip to Portland isn't until late Oct. Creepy!

Lobo Technician

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
I would agree with sd4f, I doubt they use microphones, because like he said that would definitely drain battery life significantly, plus I doubt they would be willing to risk any legal ramifications that might entail.

That's why marketing algorithms are so darn complicated, they need to get over multiple hurdles in order to remain inconspicuous in their data gathering. They understand that just turning on a mic and listening in on conversations is unacceptable in modern society, and would most likely cause an irreversible backlash on their public relations.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I would agree with sd4f, I doubt they use microphones, because like he said that would definitely drain battery life significantly, plus I doubt they would be willing to risk any legal ramifications that might entail.

That's why marketing algorithms are so darn complicated, they need to get over multiple hurdles in order to remain inconspicuous in their data gathering. They understand that just turning on a mic and listening in on conversations is unacceptable in modern society, and would most likely cause an irreversible backlash on their public relations.

They don't actively on their own but apps do. When you install an app it has permissions to use whatever it listed or claimed it was going to use when you installed it. Just take a peak at what apps have the ability to use and you might be surprised...

https://www.xda-developers.com/android-apps-tracking-mic-always-listening/

J Dubbs

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Windows phones are already always listening for you to ask Cortana for something, just like Android and iPhones are waiting for you to ask their assistants for something as well. The listening is always going on, it just depends on how much you truly believe is being listened to.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
"just like Android and iPhones are waiting for you to ask their assistants for something"

Dunno about Android, but iPhones are not "always listening". Siri can be totally disabled, which is how I have it. I had Cortana disabled on my Windows phones too, back in the day.

"We are all connected to our devices"

No, we are not. I am no more "connected" to my phone than I am "connected" to my toaster oven.

fat8893

Apr 30, 2017
Visit site
One thing I do know about Windows 10 Mobile: You can easily turn off any app from running on background as well as other settings, i.e Location, Microphone, Camera, the lot. Newer version of Android can do the latter as well, but not the former. Only custom ROM like LineageOS for example have the ability to turn off any app from running on background.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos