Windows 10 Shutdowns Before Reaching its Maxium Temperature

Alireza Alikhani

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I've an eight years old Thinkpad T410 which is totally healthy and runs well and handles my jobs (and I still love it!). But it has a serious problem. Its maximum tolerable temp is 105. But it force shutdowns 4 or 5 degree before reaching its maximum (Prime95 stress test). It runs well under windows 7 but just cannot handle the situation in the case of windows 10. Normally, I set its performance on 99% which disables Turbo Boost, but I want to find a way to unleash its maximum power.

Any idea?

Thanks

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You’re telling me that under stress, it’s reaching 100 C CPU temperature?

It shutting down a few degrees before what I assume to be the maximum temperature on paper is a safety measure unless there are details I am missing. I have a T400 myself and I’m not sure I’ll be able to get it up to 100 C if I tried.

And can you confirm OS is the only difference and not something like thermal paste age?

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Maybe it's time to clean cooling vents, fan and fins as well as possible. I'd check also cooling settings in bios.
Laptop running close to 100 (Celsius, I believe) sounds really, really hot...

I don't know how W10 would lower the threshold, but shutting down during stress (even at 105) means too little cooling and is not normal.

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
If your CPU is reaching temps of 100 C, I would not even use that computer. Heat constitutes the death of all electronics, and every time you turn it on you will be damaging the internal components of the laptop. In addition to cleaning, you will have to buy some thermal grease if you remove the fan assembly. Do NOT, under any circumstances, buy Arctic Silver 5 thermal grease. I used it, only to have it dry up 6 months later and render the computer useless again. Do some research. I would recommend looking into the Arctic Cooling company. They make the "mainstream" variety of thermal grease. Arctic Silver is not made by Arctic Cooling; they are two separate companies. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb