Upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 10 help needed

toadstool_34

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site
I am upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 10. I have purchased a full retail version of Windows 10. My computer, although old, has been upgraded and has all the correct specs to run the operating system, including a 250gb SSD. My system is 32-bit.

I know I have to do a clean install, and I am following steps to undertake this, one of the first of which is to download the correct version of Media Creation Tool. This is where I'm having problems. I have downloaded and tried to run different versions of the Media Creation tool and keep getting error messages when I try to run Setup.exe. I have tried MediaCreationTool1803 and the Windows 10 ISO (64-bit). Should I be using the 32-bit ISO? I read if I have 4gb RAM I should use 64-bit?

These are the error messages I get from different Setup.exe files:
When downloaded from Microsoft through a Windows 10 computer:
"E:\MediaCreationTool1803.exe is not a valid Win 32 application"

From the purchased Windows 10 Installation Media (32-bit, 64-bit, and main one)
"Windows installation cannot be started from the current operating system. To install Windows, boot from the installation media, or upgrade from a supported operating system and restart the installation"

OR

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

I get a similar message when I use the 64-bit Windows 10 ISO I downloaded.

Will the 32-bit ISO work, or do I need to do something else?

rthonpm

May 30, 2018
Visit site
If Vista was the original operating system, it's likely that your computer only supports 32-bit operating systems.

While you may have 4 GB of RAM in your system, the processor needs to support the instruction set for 64-bit operating systems. In this case, it sounds like your computer doesn't have the necessary support. 4 GB is the absolute limit for a 32-bit operating system, so you've got all of the RAM the machine can support.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3