Brightness on Idol 4S

rishabk97

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

On my 4S, by default, the settings for Brightness used to have: Darkest, Darker, Brighter, Brightest. There used to be one more, but I don't remember it and that's not the problem I want to discuss anyway.

I really like the Night Light settings on desktop and since Lumia phones used to have the option to use warm colours with Colour Profile, I thought why not check my Library to see if I could download Colour Profile from the store. In fact, I was able to do that but the settings were not working.

One thing it changed was, brightness settings. The settings which I mentioned in para 1 were gone and replaced by Low, Medium, High and Automatic, where only Low and Automatic work. I have uninstalled Colour Profile to see if it reverts these settings but to no use. Is there anyway to get back those settings without doing a hard reset?

I am having a hard time with these settings. Any help is appreciated.

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Not sure how to get the settings back but if you go into Display (tap and hold Brightness in the Quick actions), does the brightness slider still work? Turn off "Change brightness automaically when lighting changes" b/c adjusting the slider won't affect the brightness much if it's on.

rishabk97

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, but no, it does not work. Once I turn off the Automatic settings, it defaults to low no matter what I set it as.

Say, f I set it to Medium ans leave the settings app and go back in again, it shows Low again.

rlouie001

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Brightness setting is corrupted

On my Alcatel Idol 4s the default display brightness setting stopped working. The setting gives me low, medium and high settings, but only the low works. When I switch It to automatic the display brightness stays in low mode. I think a program corrupted the display settings and the only way I was able to fix the problem was to do a hard reset. A month ago, the problem came back. I really don't want to do another hard reset. To solve this issue, I was able to find an app in the Microsoft Store "BDC" that can control the display brightness and so far it is working for me.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Installing the Color Profile app must have changed something. Or something else happened to affect the settings.

For the system autobrightness to get changed like that, where Automatic High Medium and Low are the options would mean the registry changed. There are registry settings under HKLM/SOFTWARE/OEM/Autobrightness and others under the Microsoft Key. The values under OEM/Autobrightness are not suppose to affect the system UI, they only change how the the intensity and such reacts to the UI changes as well as the Ambient light sensor. You would need to make sure all the registry entries are set correctly or hard reset your IDOL 4s which would restore all the setting back to what they were.

rishabk97

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
On my Alcatel Idol 4s the default display brightness setting stopped working. The setting gives me low, medium and high settings, but only the low works. When I switch It to automatic the display brightness stays in low mode. I think a program corrupted the display settings and the only way I was able to fix the problem was to do a hard reset. A month ago, the problem came back. I really don't want to do another hard reset. To solve this issue, I was able to find an app in the Microsoft Store "BDC" that can control the display brightness and so far it is working for me.

This has been very helpful and it works as intended. Thank you. Also, for anyone finding this thread in the future, the app is called "Display Brightness Control".

Installing the Color Profile app must have changed something. Or something else happened to affect the settings.

For the system autobrightness to get changed like that, where Automatic High Medium and Low are the options would mean the registry changed. There are registry settings under HKLM/SOFTWARE/OEM/Autobrightness and others under the Microsoft Key. The values under OEM/Autobrightness are not suppose to affect the system UI, they only change how the the intensity and such reacts to the UI changes as well as the Ambient light sensor. You would need to make sure all the registry entries are set correctly or hard reset your IDOL 4s which would restore all the setting back to what they were.

Yes, even I think that the Colour Profile app changed something. If anyone has the stock values, I would appreciate it. Not really wanting to do hard reset. Thanks for the reply.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
This has been very helpful and it works as intended. Thank you. Also, for anyone finding this thread in the future, the app is called "Display Brightness Control".

Yes, even I think that the Colour Profile app changed something. If anyone has the stock values, I would appreciate it. Not really wanting to do hard reset. Thanks for the reply.

I can get the stock values. But you have to check to see what the values are now to see if they need to be changed back.

Actually you would not need to check. Just tell me if you have the open market model, T-Mobile, or European one. You still though do need to interop unlock your phone and be able to import the registry file using Interop Tools.

rishabk97

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Actually you would not need to check. Just tell me if you have the open market model, T-Mobile, or European one. You still though do need to interop unlock your phone and be able to import the registry file using Interop Tools.

That is very kind of you. I have the open market model.

rishabk97

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
It has the drop down menu with Low, Medium and High, out of which, only Low works. The only way I've got to increase brightness is to set it to Automatic or use the DBC app as told by another kind user.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by rishabk97
It has the drop down menu with Low, Medium and High, out of which, only Low works. The only way I've got to increase brightness is to set it to Automatic or use the DBC app as told by another kind user.

Ok. Your going to need to interop unlock the IDOL 4s to get brightness settings fixed, are you prepared for that? Do you want the slider back with Automatic or for Low Medium High and Automatic to work?

rishabk97

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Interop is a go but I would like the settings which had: Darkest, Darker, Bright, Brighter and Brightest. These were the settings that were there before.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes, Interop is a go but I would like the settings which had: Darkest, Darker, Bright, Brighter and Brightest. These were the settings that were there before.

You need to get access to iutool.exe if you don't already have it. I believe the WDK for version 1703 will contain it. here

Install interop tools from the developers post here and follow his directions for loading the packages to the IDOL 4s so that you can interop unlock it and edit the registry. For OEM devices other than Lumias use the directions with the header "For all other OEM devices"

After it is installed and in the Interop Unlock section of the app you are able to toggle Interop Unlock to On. Go to the Tweaks page and toggle the option for Enable brightness slider. It may already be toggled and if it is toggle it off, then go back in the app and toggle it on. Then reboot. If that still does not fix your issue let me know and I can give you the default values for AutoBrightness to check and see if they have changed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss