After Windows 10 Update 1809, where are my Edge Favorites ?

pakmul

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
After updating to Windows 10 Update 1809, my Microsoft Edge Favorites is empty. However, I can still see them in this folder [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]C:\Users\<user>\Favorites.
Any suggestions what happened ?

Thanks!

[/FONT]

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Last year I had the same thing happen, but I was never able to get it figured out. I had to import an old backup of my favorites.

This time when I updated to 1809, my favorites on my desktop Edge are fine, but the favorites on my L1520 are all hosed up. I've tried signing out and back into my Microsoft account, turning off and back on the sync settings, and nothing seems to work. Bummed out. :-(

anon(10524160)

Sep 19, 2018
Visit site
I updated my notebook and surface to 1809 three days ago. Both are synced together.

The surface still has all Edge Favorites, the notebook has none.

I switched on and off all sync setting in Win10 and in Egde on the favorites on the notebook Edge it does show up on the surface Edge. But all other existing favorites in the surface Edge are not synced with the notebook Edge.

Any suggestions ?

Franz Zihlmann

Dec 26, 2017
Visit site
Exactly the same happened to me after upgrading my DT to the October 2018 release. My DT Edge favorites are just fine, however, my Edge favorites on my Surface and Android phone are no longer visible.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
My Surface Pro 4 Edge favorites are fine, but I've lost all my Lumia Phone Edge favorites, and they should be synced so I'm not really sure what happened here :)

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I've tried everything I can think of to get my Favorites to re-sync, but nothing has worked. I do have my Favorites saved as a file, but I can't figure out a way to import any Favorites into my Mobile Edge. I'm stuck. :-(

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I guess we're all waiting for the update and see if they come back, if not....well....Favorites are stored in PC Edge, so we can manually add one by one FML... :sweaty:

Last edited:

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem in March/April 2019 after having updated to 1809 and running a few more updates after that. Edge favorites stopped disappared and I could get them to sync. MS support had me add them manually but that 1) sucks; 2) doesn't sync across devices.

This old article May 2017, believe it or not, fixes the issue:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-keep-favorites-synced-between-microsoft-edge-and-ie-windows-10

1. Use the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run command.
2. Type gpedit.msc and click OK to open the Local Group Policy Editor.
3. Browse the following path:
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Microsoft Edge
4. On the right, double-click the Keep favorites in sync between Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge policy.
5. Select Enabled.
6. Click OK

Have to reboot for it to take effect and wait a few hours or a day and they'll show up again without having to run "Import Favorites" (just turn on Favorites bar in edge settings)

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
this was an ongoing issue with Edge for me. between PCs and mobile Edge. that's why I stopped using Edge and went back to Chrome.

wonder if this is partly the reason MS using the Chromium engine for new Edge. who knows

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
this was an ongoing issue with Edge for me. between PCs and mobile Edge. that's why I stopped using Edge and went back to Chrome.

wonder if this is partly the reason MS using the Chromium engine for new Edge. who knows

I have exactly the same problem; so frustrating!! Why is it, when I download and install Chrome, within 2-3 minutes, absolutly everything is synced! All my settings, themes, faves, history, extensions - everything! Why! Why does Chrome work, and Edge not? I can't even get my main desktop themes to sync anymore. Everything used to work...
This is why people are not going to use Edge...and why more people are using Chromebooks. Sad, but true...

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720