Cannot uninstall / install software

rdh61

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I had a program (LibreOffice) installed on a microSD card. One day on attempting to open it I got the error message: "Invalid Drive: E:". I removed the microSD card, reinserted it, and tried again. Same result (Invalid Drive: E) even though now the microSD card was listed in the file manager as Drive D. So, figuring the drive was corrupted, I reformatted it. Then I tried to install a new version of the software on the microSD card, with the same error. Finally I tried to install it onto the computer's HD (Drive C), but the installation is aborted with the same error message (Invalid Drive: E).

What can I do to get over this?

Many thanks.

rdh61

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried a different card or jump drive? The card itself may be bad, even though you reformatted it.

Thank you for your reply. Please note the issue is not now with the card, but with the installation of LibreOffice on to the computer's on board hard drive. When I try to do this the error message still refers to the (now non-existent) Drive E, as explained above.

I mentioned the microSD card in order to explain how the issue started. But its presence or absence now is immaterial to the behaviour. I can remove it, as I am not trying to install onto it, but the same thing still happens.

Additional information: I can install other programs normally.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried changing the drive in Disk Management? Maybe forcing that drive to a recognized one will help the installation?

Since the problem is only with Libre Office, perhaps it's an error in the install software they use?

rdh61

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried changing the drive in Disk Management? Maybe forcing that drive to a recognized one will help the installation?

Since the problem is only with Libre Office, perhaps it's an error in the install software they use?

Thank you, but perhaps I am not making myself clear. I am unable to install LibreOffice ON THE COMPUTER'S MAIN HARD DRIVE. I can install other software normally. I can install LibreOffice on other computers.

The problem arose because of the microSD card, BUT THAT IS NO LONGER IN THE COMPUTER.

The problem, in my view, is that somewhere on the computer there must be something telling it (I don't know, in the registry maybe), to refer this software to the NOW NON-EXISTENT microSD drive.

But I don't know where to look, nor how to fix it.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, but perhaps I am not making myself clear. I am unable to install LibreOffice ON THE COMPUTER'S MAIN HARD DRIVE. I can install other software normally. I can install LibreOffice on other computers.

The problem arose because of the microSD card, BUT THAT IS NO LONGER IN THE COMPUTER.

The problem, in my view, is that somewhere on the computer there must be something telling it (I don't know, in the registry maybe), to refer this software to the NOW NON-EXISTENT microSD drive.

But I don't know where to look, nor how to fix it.

Which version of Windows 10 do you have?

You can check by:
1) Windows Key + R
2) Winver then enter

I came across a similar issue but with another application with a esata drive years ago it was an invalid registry re-direct. Basically crappy coding as who ever created the installer hard coded the config file to look in a specific directory entry after the first install.

So you have four options, one trawl through the hidden program data directory and delete all instances of libre office. Then try reinstalling the office suite and if that fails then you will need to trawl through the registry to find that specific directory you initially installed it on.

The other simpler methods is to run system restore and check for the restore point created for the initial install (if there is one) or the final drastic method is to reinstall windows....

There are other risky tools, such as the Windows Install Cleanup tool but I don't think that runs properly on W10 and the other is ccleaner - use the uninstall function than the registry clean tool (be weary this does more damage than is of help) - You can download a old version from filehippo.com.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)