Small ARM-based Windows tablet

Andrew Brehm

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Is there simply no demand for a small (8" and below) ARM-based Windows tablet?

When I ask around among the Windows 10 fans in the office, all of them say they are waiting for a small Windows tablet (most do not care about the CPU) with LTE (or other cellphone technology). Some want ARM because of the power savings.

However, not only are ARM-based Windows tablets all huge but also difficult to find in Europe. And very very few small Windows tablets appear to be available in general.

Only enough both Apple and Android vendors see a market for LTE-capable small tablet computers. That is why I ultimately bought in iPad 4 mini even though I still prefer a Windows 10 tablet.

What's going on? Why is Microsoft talking about ARM but seemingly pursuing a strategy of making sure that Windows 10 on ARM will never become popular?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
There were many 8" Windows tablets back in the Windows 8/8.1 days like the HP Venue Pro and others. Quite frankly, Windows 10 is not the most touch-friendly OS like 8 or 8.1 were and thus the form factor has fallen out of favor. The Surface Go is the smallest of the current crop and an LTE version is "Coming Soon" unless you're interested in waiting for the Andromeda Unicorn to be unveiled.

Andrew Brehm

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I only have anecdotal evidence, of course, but in my office there appears to be great demand for a small (sub-10") Windows tablet. Of course, we are all Windows admins. We like Windows and use Android or iOS only because Microsoft offers nothing in some areas. (I thought the Surface Go with LTE was already available?)

Andrew Brehm

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
In fact, I could also do with a 10" or 11" laptop running Windows 10. On ARM. But none of the Windows ARM devices appear to be easily available in Europe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720