Cannot update

zikiki

Nov 23, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I have an ASUS LaptopF552Cl ( X550CL) – Intel core I7 3°generation, it came out with windows 8.1.
I successfully updated it until windows 10 vers.1803 even if ASUS say that the PC could be updated until windows 10 vers. 1607.
Problems started when I tried to update windows to version 1809 (I received it from windows update), because Intel HD Graphics 4000 stopped working. The latest driver is installed, I tried everything with no success.
I found it strange since I’ve seen older and less performing machines working well with windows 10 vers.1809.
Since windows 10 May 2019 update is due, I wonder if I will be able to update my PC or I’ll have to be stuck with vers.1803 for ever……..
Thanks.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
@Zikki You have 2 options to upgrade, you can do an in-place upgrade or a fresh install with media creation tool which you can obtain from Microsoft directly.https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=RHuOmfG5

1) The in place upgrade will upgrade your windows install and you can roll back to it within 30 days.

2) A fresh install is a complete clean install where you will lose all your data however it will be a completely new install like when you first got your laptop.

You can also try to reset you pc via Reset this PC (not the same as rebooting) and in any case I would suggest backing up your laptop before upgrading or trying to do PC reset.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
@Zikki You have 2 options to upgrade, you can do an in-place upgrade or a fresh install with media creation tool which you can obtain from Microsoft directly.https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fsoftware-download%2Fwindows10&token=s2e6g14T

1) The in place upgrade will upgrade your windows install and you can roll back to it within 30 days.

2) A fresh install is a complete clean install where you will lose all your data however it will be a completely new install like when you first got your laptop.

You can also try to reset you pc via Reset this PC (not the same as rebooting) and in any case I would suggest backing up your laptop before upgrading or trying to do PC reset.

Sometimes it's good to just have a fresh install and start with the latest version of Windows. It makes for a cleaner system, as opposed to upgrading in-place. Although, if you do do that, remember to then run Disk Cleanup to remove all Windows installation files.

zikiki

Nov 23, 2018
Visit site
I tought about a clean install, but I don't know if Intel HD Graphics 4000 is compatible with Windows 10 May 2019 update. In this case I won't be able to roll back to version 1803...….

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I tought about a clean install, but I don't know if Intel HD Graphics 4000 is compatible with Windows 10 May 2019 update. In this case I won't be able to roll back to version 1803...….

The May 2019 Update hasn't even been released yet. But chances are your graphics card will be supported. What makes you think it won't be?

dimitriovitch

May 31, 2019
Visit site
I would suggest to use windows upgrade assistant, it will tell you if you have the requered system and if after all it does not work wich i doubt, you ' d have the full clean install ultimate option

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes it's good to just have a fresh install and start with the latest version of Windows. It makes for a cleaner system, as opposed to upgrading in-place. Although, if you do do that, remember to then run Disk Cleanup to remove all Windows installation files.

There is a reason why I didn't suggest a clean install :), I recently came across an issue with PCs/Laptops that have have the o/s serial key embedded in the bios. For example if they had 8.1 (non pro) or any of the W7 home editions, the installer installs W10 Home instead even if it had 10 Pro installed previously. Then you have the headache of using a general key to upgrade to pro as sometimes your 10 pro key will not even be accepted - [To use your 10 pro product key when that happens, you have to use the general key, reboot, let it upgrade to pro, activate, change product key again and then enter your 10 pro key] - and whilst you're doing that Windows Update will install buggy driver updates.

So now, you have to upgrade to pro (via change product key) -> reset the PC -> fire up group policy -> put Windows Update on notify to download + auto install, turn off windows from installing manufacturer apps and icons (device installation settings) in the control panel.

So yeah... a major pain in the rear and incredibly time consuming.

Microsoft seriously needs to re-hire the QA team and testers.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
There is a reason why I didn't suggest a clean install :), I recently came across an issue with PCs/Laptops that have have the o/s serial key embedded in the bios. For example if they had 8.1 (non pro) or any of the W7 home editions, the installer installs W10 Home instead even if it had 10 Pro installed previously. Then you have the headache of using a general key to upgrade to pro as sometimes your 10 pro key will not even be accepted - [To use your 10 pro product key when that happens, you have to use the general key, reboot, let it upgrade to pro, activate, change product key again and then enter your 10 pro key] - and whilst you're doing that Windows Update will install buggy driver updates.

So now, you have to upgrade to pro (via change product key) -> reset the PC -> fire up group policy -> put Windows Update on notify to download + auto install, turn off windows from installing manufacturer apps and icons (device installation settings) in the control panel.

So yeah... a major pain in the rear and incredibly time consuming.

Microsoft seriously needs to re-hire the QA team and testers.

You are right. I actually had to do this process. MS will never rehire the QA team.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You are right. I actually had to do this process. MS will never rehire the QA team.

Sooner or later they will have to do re-hire the QA team. This process is so avoidable but because of idiocy it's wasting valuable time and money, the latest laptop I came across that I had to do this process took me 3 days to repair as the laptop was using a slow as molasses pentium CPU. Instead of being straight forward clean install of 10 Pro, I didn't slipstream the install as I wanted a proper clean install and have had driver issues with slip streamed installs.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Sooner or later they will have to do re-hire the QA team. This process is so avoidable but because of idiocy it's wasting valuable time and money, the latest laptop I came across that I had to do this process took me 3 days to repair as the laptop was using a slow as molasses pentium CPU. Instead of being straight forward clean install of 10 Pro, I didn't slipstream the install as I wanted a proper clean install and have had driver issues with slip streamed installs.

What tool do you use to slipstream W10 installs?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

So this isn't applicable if you had w7 pro? I moved from the w7 pro to w10 on my old laptop and I immediately got w10 pro. This was some time ago tho

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
So this isn't applicable if you had w7 pro? I moved from the w7 pro to w10 on my old laptop and I immediately got w10 pro. This was some time ago tho

To be honest with you, I have no idea given how shambolic Windows Update has become without a proper QA division.

I had two differing experiences on two different laptops running 7 Pro recently, one I was able to choose from a selection of different version of Windows 10 (let's say this is Laptop A) and the other I had to go through the rigmarole of changing the product key etc (Laptop B).

However, Laptop A was updated to Windows 10 1903 and Laptop B was updated to Windows 10 1809. This issue may very well be resolved in the 1903 update, but 1903 has it's own problems. The laptop this was installed on could not even connect to the internet even though WiFi drivers were installed (plug and play) and a static IP address set.

As my cousin was in a rush, I didn't have a chance to dwelve into 1903 fully. When I spoke to him a few days ago, he said resolved the internet issue by rebooting the laptop several times, knowing him he must have rebooted the damn laptop 20 times LOL.

Another laptop which was updated to 1903 (10 Pro) via Windows Update did not utilise the ssd "correctly" and when I say correctly, the laptop slowed down to an extent that watching paint dry would have been faster when it came to cold boots after 1903 was installed.

This laptop was clean installed using Windows update 1809 where I came across the issue again of switching product keys etc.

So yeah, I have no idea if it's fixed in 1903 - most likely it is but given the number of glitches and bugs who knows.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Apart from the whole home-pro debacle, I was actually considering 1903 for my new laptop, but I guess I'll test it out on the old one first

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Apart from the whole home-pro debacle, I was actually considering 1903 for my new laptop, but I guess I'll test it out on the old one first

No problem, that would be best course of action to take. I'm going to be going through 1903 in a virtual machine over the weekend as I'm curious how the local account is implemented or called now. I had to select "I have no access to the internet" when trying to skip the "connect to WiFi" page on 1903.

Anyway, let us know how you get on with your testing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)