Cloud storage service

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I was using onedrive, but for reasons, want to switch to someone that isn't Amazon, Microsoft, or Google.

I need something that has full folder sync from the PC end, for 50-100 gb. Preferably encrypted. Must have android support (ideally autophoto upload, or better full folder sync) as well as Windows 10 (ideally good software), and generally reliable service. I'm look at 5USD or less.

Any suggestions?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
That's going to be hard to find. Even cloud storage providers like Dropbox use Amazon, Google, or Microsoft; or a combination of them.

You know, I looked and looked and couldn't find anything really comparable to one drive. Amazon's isn't close, dropbox is expensive, and none of them are as tightly intergrated to the windows os (like backing up your save game files, or pictures automatically). Do other cloud options exist? Sure. Are they nearly as good as one drive? No.

I just surrendered and went back to one drive.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You know, I looked and looked and couldn't find anything really comparable to one drive. Amazon's isn't close, dropbox is expensive, and none of them are as tightly intergrated to the windows os (like backing up your save game files, or pictures automatically). Do other cloud options exist? Sure. Are they nearly as good as one drive? No.

I just surrendered and went back to one drive.

Have you looked into a personal cloud storage solution? It may be something to consider. Depending on how much you want to spend.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Have you looked into a personal cloud storage solution? It may be something to consider. Depending on how much you want to spend.

It sort of serves as a tertiary backup for me, for essential files. I mean I do use it for transfer/sync on multiple devices, but honestly not that much.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It sort of serves as a tertiary backup for me, for essential files. I mean I do use it for transfer/sync on multiple devices, but honestly not that much.

I have my own NAS. It's a bit older tech than the newer ones that are out now but it does the job for having files anywhere I need them. It's great for backup and my wife uses it for her business activities.

I use Google Drive for everything else. I have automatic backup of photos and a backup of my device and that's pretty much it.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I have three NASs (2 x 8TB and 1 x 14TB). I can access my 14TB via Netgear's Ready Cloud. However, that NAS stores primarily photos and music/videos which I don't access on a daily basis. Everything else is on OneDrive. ALL of my devices are connected via OneDrive and those files I can access much quicker.

The problem with personal cloud storage is that you still don't really have an offsite or separate back up. The other problem isn't so much as costs. You can build a 14 or 16 (or more) TB NAS for just under $500 (depending on the drives you choose). The problem is that personal cloud storage requires a certain amount of not only networking knowledge, but a fairly good understanding of security and protocols as well. When you purchase cloud storage from Microsoft, Google, Amazon, or any other provider, you are not just purchasing storage space, you are also purchasing security and maintenance. There are people in Microsoft who are a LOT smarter than I am when it comes to security and protocols.

Fun fact: Microsoft experimented with unlimited OneDrive space. If you were a Office 365 subscriber (which I am), you could request unlimited storage. Microsoft would give you 10TB of storage, if you used that up, you could request another 10TB. The problem was people immediately used it as storage for ALL of their videos. Some people were using a much as 50 or more TB of storage and then streaming those videos, which sucked up bandwidth and server cycles. After about a year, Microsoft discontinued the unlimited offer.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I have three NASs (2 x 8TB and 1 x 14TB). I can access my 14TB via Netgear's Ready Cloud. However, that NAS stores primarily photos and music/videos which I don't access on a daily basis. Everything else is on OneDrive. ALL of my devices are connected via OneDrive and those files I can access much quicker.

The problem with personal cloud storage is that you still don't really have an offsite or separate back up. The other problem isn't so much as costs. You can build a 14 or 16 (or more) TB NAS for just under $500 (depending on the drives you choose). The problem is that personal cloud storage requires a certain amount of not only networking knowledge, but a fairly good understanding of security and protocols as well. When you purchase cloud storage from Microsoft, Google, Amazon, or any other provider, you are not just purchasing storage space, you are also purchasing security and maintenance. There are people in Microsoft who are a LOT smarter than I am when it comes to security and protocols.

Fun fact: Microsoft experimented with unlimited OneDrive space. If you were a Office 365 subscriber (which I am), you could request unlimited storage. Microsoft would give you 10TB of storage, if you used that up, you could request another 10TB. The problem was people immediately used it as storage for ALL of their videos. Some people were using a much as 50 or more TB of storage and then streaming those videos, which sucked up bandwidth and server cycles. After about a year, Microsoft discontinued the unlimited offer.

I just wish there was something between 50gb and the office subscription. I've got no need of office these days, and I don't need a TB either. 100 or 150 gb would be enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills