Listening to and responding to texts whilst driving via Bluetooth

Michael Dalmeida

Jun 5, 2019
Visit site
Hello All,
I have switched from WP to Android.
How can I listen to and respond to texts whilst driving via Bluetooth.
Android Cortana doesn't seem to be able to do it.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
There are some third party texting apps that do it, but not well. I've just learned to live without it, but this is the feature of WP that I miss the most. I was startled to learn that iOS and Android don't do this.

You can't get turn by turn nav while listening to FM radio either, like you could with Windows. MS must have patented that technology.

xFalk

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've read some articles on tech sites that Microsoft started a beta test in April 2018 for Cortana on Android to enable text over Bluetooth as it is on Windows Phone. Whatever happened to that? I cant find any follow up articles. I just switched to an S9 and am having withdrawals.

J Dubbs

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
I use a Bluetooth earpiece while driving, I don't run my phone through the car, but I believe the Google Assistant works the same either way. When you get a notification sound just say okay Google or hey Google read my notifications, and it'll tell you what you just received and if you want to hear it or not, then it'll ask you if you want to respond. It does that for whatever you get... email, texts etc. And you send an email/text's/phone calls etc the same way.
It doesn't read the caller or text out automatically like Cortana used to or Moto voice does on my Moto x pure edition, but Cortana's slowly stopped working on my wife's phone, while the Google Assistant's just getting better all the time. Call screening is something you have to use to appreciate....and they already have duplex beta up and running. The Google Assistant acts like a true personal secretary, talking to suspected spam callers for you, asking them who they are and what they want while you read it all on screen, and will tell them to not call you again and block their number for you if you want.... it's cut down tremendously on my spam calls, plus it's fun lol. Then you have duplex where the assistant automatically books restaurant reservations, haircuts, car rentals etc and more things coming all the time.

Cortana's done guys, embrace the future ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss