Hello users,

This question may be offtopic here, but i need your kind suggestions. I am now going to reinstall an operating system in my computer.
    I had Windows 10 earlier. Now I am thinking to use Linux. I have not used it before so I have a few doubts.

Will it be difficult to use and understand Linux?
    Will Linux be faster than Winodows 10?

Thanks
    06-26-2019 05:43 AM
    Welcome to the forums.

This one is always a tough one. Some Linux Distros look so much like Windows that the transition can be quite smooth. If you are looking for suggestions, I would say Linux Mint Cinnamon desktop environment. Basically that means the GUI for how your desktop looks. Cinnamon is one of the closest ones to what Windows looks like.

The biggest question is what do you use your PC for? Due to lack of development support for Linux, there may be issues with apps that you use.

This one depends on your hardware. In general, yes. But if you have 8 GB of RAM, and an SSD, you probably won't notice the difference.
    06-26-2019 08:37 AM
    Hello users,

This question may be offtopic here, but i need your kind suggestions. I am now going to reinstall an operating system in my computer.
    I had Windows 10 earlier. Now I am thinking to use Linux. I have not used it before so I have a few doubts.

Thanks
    If you want to try out linux without actually installing it, try a Linux LiveUSB it will enable you to create a portable, bootable and virtual install of Linux.
    Golfdriver97 and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-27-2019 04:19 AM
    Thank you very much for your extensive answer
    06-27-2019 06:07 AM
    Thank you very much for your extensive answer
    Like @TechFreak1 said, you can always test run a distro without installing it. Put the ISO in a jump drive, and you are good to go. Most of the time, you can select an option that sounds similar to try before installing.
    06-27-2019 07:36 AM
    Linux Forums

Might be a great place to start. See you back here in a month when you return to Windows.
    06-27-2019 04:07 PM
    Linux Forums

Might be a great place to start. See you back here in a month when you return to Windows.
    In all honesty, if I wasn't really into gaming, I'd probably be running some kind of Linux distro. They aren't bad if what you do on the PC is browsing or other light tasks.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-27-2019 07:40 PM
    Well the thing your asking your labeling Linux like Windows. There is only 1 Windows which has multiple versions. Linux has many flavors which are called Distros. You have Ubuntu, Mint and many more. They are all very similar but have their differences. I have about 15 Distro installed using Oracle's Virtual toolbox which creates a Virtual machine in it's own environment. When you use each OS VPN it's like it's running on it's own machine.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-16-2019 12:45 PM
    Well the thing your asking your labeling Linux like Windows. There is only 1 Windows which has multiple versions. Linux has many flavors which are called Distros. You have Ubuntu, Mint and many more. They are all very similar but have their differences. I have about 15 Distro installed using Oracle's Virtual toolbox which creates a Virtual machine in it's own environment. When you use each OS VPN it's like it's running on it's own machine.
    I use VMware Workstation Player. This is free to use for non-commercial purposes.
    07-16-2019 09:28 PM