I'm trying to purchase something on the microsoft app store, but it is not letting me do so without linking my microsoft account with all the microsoft apps on my computer AND saving my address to my microsoft. Call me paranoia but I am not comfortable with either of those things, I just want to pay (with money, not my personal info), and be done with it, no string attached, any ways to do this?
    07-13-2019 04:40 AM
    I'm trying to purchase something on the microsoft app store, but it is not letting me do so without linking my microsoft account with all the microsoft apps on my computer AND saving my address to my microsoft. Call me paranoia but I am not comfortable with either of those things, I just want to pay (with money, not my personal info), and be done with it, no string attached, any ways to do this?
    Actually you can download Apps without signing into the Microsoft Store. Additionally, you can selectively sign into the Applications suchas the Store and Xbox whilst using an offline account.

However, the process has slightly changed with 1903 and haven't had much experience with that version. But I recall the process being different during the out of box experience.

Never the less you will have to link a payment method to purchase apps, you can link a payment method online using outlook.com then link your paypal account. This way you do not have to add any credit card or debit card information to your Microsoft account / outlook.com account.

Furthermore you do not need add your address details whilst creating an outlook.com account either - you need to provide a secondary email or phone number.

I'm not sure if the process is different in the US because in Europe companies have to comply with the Data Protection Act now with GDPR. The latter is extremely stringent when it comes to what companies can and cannot do with your data.

One requirement is for instance if you have any clientele data save on your phone, your employer MUST witness you erasing that data off your phone - this is usually done by factory wiping the phone. If they give you a work phone, they have to run through the risks of having clientele data on that phone and what the deletion process entails. Plus that work phone has to be handed back to them when you leave AND erased in your presence to show you that your data no longer exists on that phone.
    07-13-2019 05:30 PM