I am beginning to find computers too complicated.

Andrew Brehm

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I am beginning to find computers too complicated.

Somehow I don't get the new UI paradigms.

In the old days, when I wanted to print a picture, I opened the picture in any program suitable for displaying or editing pictures and I could print by selecting File -> Print.
Today I have to hunt down the Print button in every app individually. In "Photos" it's in the upper right corner (but refuses to print the picture full page). In "Paint 3D" it's under "Menu" which opens a full screen mask.

Then the Print submenu wanted to know if I wanted to print in 2D or 3D (whatever "3D" means for pictures).

Paint 3D finally printed the picture full page but in black and white (although colour was selected). After a while I disabled "Let the app change my printing preferences" and then the picture came out in colour.

I am wondering. How do other people get through this? What's wrong with me? Why did this seam simpler for 20 years with ALWAYS File-> Print in every application and ALWAYS simply printing what it showed on the screen? Suddenly with all this modern GUI stuff this feels like the 1980s again with every program doing things in its own way, no standardisation and no WYSIWYG.

I don't print pictures very often. Word appears to be print the old way (but also doesn't have the standardized menus any more), in colour, onto the entire page. Since I usually print documents I hadn't noticed how ridiculously difficult printing pictures had become in the mean time.

Rant mode off.

Last edited:

expobill

Sep 8, 2019
Visit site
I feel the same way with many easy features becoming frustrating hard to find lately. I do think windows 10 overall is simpler than other version especially anything mac offered this decade. Just dont go too crazy trying to figure these options out

pi3141

Nov 2, 2019
Visit site
Simple tasks are no longer intuitive. The marketing people are pushing IT people to introduce constant change in the hopes of convincing people that their offerings are a market place distinction and are innovative.

Your title needs to be changed to "I am beginning to find computers too complicated...to want to use".

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Since I usually print documents I hadn't noticed how ridiculously difficult printing pictures had become in the mean time.
, Just rmb an image -> print.
And the Photos app literally shows the print icon in the upper right corner.

Agree though that MS apps needs to have a more consistent interface, which is ironic since their UWP guidelines for developers are good and comprehensive (so the building blocks for consistency are there but some groups in MS just ignore them or something like that).

Andrew Brehm

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
, Just rmb an image -> print.
And the Photos app literally shows the print icon in the upper right corner.

Well, yes, but as I said in the original post, what if it prints the picture in black and white per default, as one of the Microsoft apps decided to do. Obviously using the default settings is dangerous. I need to open the picture and see what it would ultimately print, including whether it keeps the colour and actually scales the image to the paper. With a text document, it is usually given that what rmb print does is scaling the document to the papersize and print the text (usually in b/w anyway). But with a picture and Microsoft newfound inconsistency that doesn't make as much sense now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire