What's happened to the Windows 10 LinkedIn app?

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have been using the Windows 10 LinkedIn app for over a year, at least. Within the last couple of weeks it's stopped using it. Now whenever I get into I get this:

Annotation 2019-10-10 201416.png

Does anyone know what's happened to it?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Is this the LinkedIn app on desktop or Windows Mobile?

I just did a search of the Store and it appears the apps is not there. Best to check to see if it's available in the Store on PC (if that's what you're looking for) as I checked via the web.

They did discontinue the app for Windows Mobile.

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Good question, I wasn't clear. I meant the LinkedIn app for the desktop version of Windows 10. I've checked in the Microsoft Store for desktop; it isn't even there. Is this temporary or permanent?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Good question, I wasn't clear. I meant the LinkedIn app for the desktop version of Windows 10. I've checked in the Microsoft Store for desktop; it isn't even there. Is this temporary or permanent?

Taking a guess I'd say permanent but then this is MS so who knows?

I use the app on my Android phone and just use the web browser otherwise.

Doctor_Who

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Tonight I tried getting into the LinkedIn Windows 10 app. It clearly said that they were discontinuing it for Windows 10. The only way to use it was through a web browser on Windows 10. I'm disappointed that LinkedIn would do that.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Taking a guess I'd say permanent but then this is MS so who knows?

I use the app on my Android phone and just use the web browser otherwise.
I used to have the Android app but deleted it since I used it so little.

I'll check the desktop site using a browser maybe once a month. I was never aware that there even was a Windows 10 Store app for LinkedIn.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Tonight I tried getting into the LinkedIn Windows 10 app. It clearly said that they were discontinuing it for Windows 10. The only way to use it was through a web browser on Windows 10. I'm disappointed that LinkedIn would do that.

Keep in mind the MS owns LinkedIn now so the disappointment is even more.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I used to have the Android app but deleted it since I used it so little.

I'll check the desktop site using a browser maybe once a month. I was never aware that there even was a Windows 10 Store app for LinkedIn.

The LinkedIn app was a UWP I think.

LinkedIn is good if you want to network with like minded people and look for potential new jobs etc, if used correctly. If you're happy where you are then it's rather pointless.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The LinkedIn app was a UWP I think.

LinkedIn is good if you want to network with like minded people and look for potential new jobs etc, if used correctly. If you're happy where you are then it's rather pointless.
It all depends. It seems more useful if one is self-employed and looking for clients. Nobody I know checks it more than once a month, but I don't know any business owners.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It all depends. It seems more useful if one is self-employed and looking for clients. Nobody I know checks it more than once a month, but I don't know any business owners.

It's not just for self employed people or business owners. Also you know me (sort of) and I am a business owner technically. :p

There are LinkedIn network groups. LinkedIn online training. There's the ability to 'follow' companies you may be interested in.

The truth is it comes down to what you want to achieve. If you want to look for new opportunities regardless if you're employed full time or contract LinkedIn is a good source for that but you need to set yourself up to use it correctly. Like any social media service LinkedIn likes constant use and the more you use it the more you're easily found by potential employers.

Also keeping your profile updated regularly and indicating your specialties in the About section helps people can find you easier. Of course growing your network helps a lot with these things as well.

Like any tool it has to be used correctly but you have to want that change first. No point doing all that and then not wanting change.

Of course LinkedIn isn't purely about changing jobs but also about meeting up with like minded people in the same field as you.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not just for self employed people or business owners. Also you know me (sort of) and I am a business owner technically.

There are LinkedIn network groups. LinkedIn online training. There's the ability to 'follow' companies you may be interested in.

The truth is it comes down to what you want to achieve. If you want to look for new opportunities regardless if you're employed full time or contract LinkedIn is a good source for that but you need to set yourself up to use it correctly. Like any social media service LinkedIn likes constant use and the more you use it the more you're easily found by potential employers.

Also keeping your profile updated regularly and indicating your specialties in the About section helps people can find you easier. Of course growing your network helps a lot with these things as well.

Like any tool it has to be used correctly but you have to want that change first. No point doing all that and then not wanting change.

Of course LinkedIn isn't purely about changing jobs but also about meeting up with like minded people in the same field as you.
It's the most antisocial social media. Nobody does anything other than update profile and celebrate job anniversaries. Nobody chats on it or posts anything interesting. It's just add a contact then get those anniversary updates.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It's the most antisocial social media. Nobody does anything other than update profile and celebrate job anniversaries. Nobody chats on it or posts anything interesting. It's just add a contact then get those anniversary updates.

I've used LinkedIn for years and I use it in multiple ways. Currently I'm not doing much with at the moment but that's because I'm busy with other things.

I do agree that in some cases LinkedIn can be a bit of a minefield.

What's your specialty again? I don't think I ever asked.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've used LinkedIn for years and I use it in multiple ways. Currently I'm not doing much with at the moment but that's because I'm busy with other things.

I do agree that in some cases LinkedIn can be a bit of a minefield.

What's your specialty again? I don't think I ever asked.
IT help desk.

I'm sure LinkedIn isn't all bad. I've just never noticed anything useful about it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
IT help desk.

I'm sure LinkedIn isn't all bad. I've just never noticed anything useful about it.

Though I've seen more 'social media' additions to LinkedIn in recent years on the whole it's main purpose is to help people network within their own fields and find new opportunities. Or if you're planing to change careers, start making new connections there.

There's lots of LinkedIn groups you can join. Of course some are better than others and there's both local and international groups.

I simply wouldn't be working right now if it wasn't for LinkedIn. It's how I get found by recruiters. I don't apply for jobs or send my CV/Resume out to places. They come to me. I prefer it that way. :p

If you want to network and meet people in your industry LinkedIn is a good tool for that. If you want to be found by recruiters LinkedIn is a good tool for that. If you want to post things about your industry, LinkedIn is a good tool for that. If you want to find out about a company in your industry or other industries, LinkedIn is good for that. Basically anything to do with career, LinkedIn is pretty good for.

If you don't want any of those things, LinkedIn is a complete waste of time in my opinion. There's no point being on it if you're not going to use it for your benefit.

That's it in a nutshell.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos