Failed to update every cumulative update package after KB4515384

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
One of my laptop(Dell M6700) is failing to update any cumulative update package after KB4515384.

Every package are downloaded to 100%, installed to 100% then gave the same Error 0x80073701

Untitled.jpg

I tried some of the solution over internet and nothing works.

I really don't want to reinstall the system since dropbox are limiting the number of computers can installed their app. I'll lost it if I reinstall the system.

Is that all I can do is waiting for 1909 update and hope it can overwrite all this BS?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
One of my laptop(Dell M6700) is failing to update any cumulative update package after KB4515384.

Every package are downloaded to 100%, installed to 100% then gave the same Error 0x80073701

View attachment 141485

I tried some of the solution over internet and nothing works.

I really don't want to reinstall the system since dropbox are limiting the number of computers can installed their app. I'll lost it if I reinstall the system.

Is that all I can do is waiting for 1909 update and hope it can overwrite all this BS?

I presume you uninstalled - KB4515384?

Also have you tried disk clean up to remove the update files, temp update files etc?

Lastly if you are running pro, have you configured updates to "notify to download and auto install" via group policy?

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I presume you uninstalled - KB4515384?

Also have you tried disk clean up to remove the update files, temp update files etc?

Lastly if you are running pro, have you configured updates to "notify to download and auto install" via group policy?

1)I didn't remove KB4515384, it never installed on my system. Got error 0x80073701 at first place then after 15 times of failed update it stop appear when I press "check update"

2)Yes, I also tried clean the update temp folder, turn off auto update service-reboot-restart service, download the update package and install by myself - all didn't work.

3)I always let the system auto update, never turn it off.

My only hope is that 1911 can be force to update by windows 10 update assistant and Get everything patched. I can't trust the lousy windows update now....

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
1)I didn't remove KB4515384, it never installed on my system. Got error 0x80073701 at first place then after 15 times of failed update it stop appear when I press "check update"

2)Yes, I also tried clean the update temp folder, turn off auto update service-reboot-restart service, download the update package and install by myself - all didn't work.

3)I always let the system auto update, never turn it off.

My only hope is that 1911 can be force to update by windows 10 update assistant and Get everything patched. I can't trust the lousy windows update now....

1) I see, well that sucks.

2) Hmm, you can try ccleaner (you can download an old version off filehippo.com) I wouldn't recommend using it's built-in registry cleaner as these do more damage than good.

3) If you have 10 pro, I'd recommend using group policy to stop Windows Update auto updating as it's completely borked. As this way you can use the Microsoft's asinine troubleshooting tool, to hide troublesome updates temporarily which you can get here:

Support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

I presume moving stuff off dropbox and reuploading is not an option?

Lastly, is it possible for you to move the synced folders for Dropbox to another drive or partition?

You can find steps to move the drop box folder here:

help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder

Also can you access that location via other devices?

If not presuming you are using dropbox basic - which now has a three device limit, you may have to remove a device and add another PC as it looks like you can't move the sync folder to a removable drive.

help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/settings-sign-in/computer-limit

help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/settings-sign-in/unlink-relink-computer-mobile

However, I'm guessing you have multiple devices linked prior to the three device limit in that case you would have to either become a paid member or wait for next update to see if that fixes the issue.

Last edited:

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I just got my problem solved by download the 1909 ESD and convert to ISO, proceed an upgrade install over my system with all my settings and apps remained.

It's scary but worked, I have to observe for few days and see how the system goes while waiting for 1911 cumulative update to test if the windows update will work properly.

For Dropbox, the issue is that now they limited the number of machine you can install their app with your free account(I remember it's 3 now, before it's unlimited and I'm happy with my 11GB space). I have more than 3 computers working at different places linked with TeamViewer and dropbox so I really don't want to re-install OS at my main computers in the cost of losing the ability to link with dropbox

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I just got my problem solved by download the 1909 ESD and convert to ISO, proceed an upgrade install over my system with all my settings and apps remained.

It's scary but worked, I have to observe for few days and see how the system goes while waiting for 1911 cumulative update to test if the windows update will work properly.

For Dropbox, the issue is that now they limited the number of machine you can install their app with your free account(I remember it's 3 now, before it's unlimited and I'm happy with my 11GB space). I have more than 3 computers working at different places linked with TeamViewer and dropbox so I really don't want to re-install OS at my main computers in the cost of losing the ability to link with dropbox

Sounds like the inplace upgrade has resolved your issue, hope the fix is permanent!

Keep us updated, excuse the pun couldn't resist lol.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well after 1909 update the system works ok

Now I can more or less understand why some people wanna shut down update function forever lol

Good to hear it's working okay after 1909.

lol yeah, especially after Microsoft fired their testing team / department and programmatic testers.

I've been having some funky stuff happen on my H500M Build and this is on a clean install.

Here's an example:

User Device Registeration error.PNG

It's utterly random I've not found the root of the cause of it I'm presuming it's the W10 Biometric service but I still had random BSODs even after I disabled it on a clean install of 1903 and with all the latest updates. My guess is one of the cumulative updates was completely funked, 1809 also caused random BSODs.

The BSOD's errors varied from critical processor failure, dcom errors, paging errors and so on.

All with Gigabyte's drivers, AMD's drivers, generic Plug and play drivers, drivers via Windows Update.

Even after disabling services such as the remote access connection manager.

BIOS flashed with latest bios, reflashed with old bios, undervolted ram (even with/without XMP, with / without tweaked ram timings) and cpu / normal voltage to both still random BSODs.

Suddenly, no more BSODs... after spending hours trying to find a solution and testing...

DigError.jpg

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Ah, this reminds me trying to manually install Precision Touchpad driver onto my Lenovo B470 as the lenovo driver sucks at windows 10 when I want multi-touch function - after few times of trying to overwrite the touchpad driver I got BSOD then the whole system was dead.

I have to re-install the system due to the driver issue of TOUCHPAD....lol

I feel that M$ are losing focus on their OS at PC side while they are trying to chase the mobile platform trend, the way they modularize windows 10 yet provide weak link (or setting good check points) between each module are causing lots of funny problems here and there. I have once lost my bulid-in mail function completely after a auto upgrade to my Surface pro during a business trip - what a nightmare.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Ouch that sucks, fortunately I haven't come across any situations like that..and now I've said that... I most probably will knowing my luck :grincry:.

I don't think it's because they are chasing a mobile trend after all they cleaved off the mobile division.

It's just that it's physically and practically impossible to develop + code, test, reiterate, test day-in day out without burning out on all levels. Plus when you look at the same lines of code over and over again you sort of start projecting elements into it; for instance when you write a novel or essay sometimes you mentally add words when reading through but when it comes proof reading you start spotting mistakes. You’re less likely to spot them if you’ve read it through countless times due, additionally those with higher self confidence will also tend to spot fewer mistakes. Whereas those who are cautious by nature will tend to spot more mistakes and perfectionists well… that’s tough as nothing is perfect lol.
In short, without re-hiring programmatic testers and a dedicated testing team we will continue to see more and more moronic errors in W10 cumulative updates and feature “upgrades”.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3