Whats happening to Windows 10?

Knowhow777

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I need to have any idea since 2 of my expensive gaming laptops just stop working after october 2019 update!

I also notice all updates are forced to all windows 10 client and after you have no choice, you end up with a laptop that will not boot up.

Im very frustrated since i just bought a new gaming laptop 5 days ago and after it force restart today due to update it does not function anymore.

It is stucked at "Undoing changes made to your PC" for 8 hours now.

its so much hassle why windows will do such thing forcing update that end up destroying expensive laptops not to mention the files that i need foe my work that i can not access now due to this unexpected /force updates.

Its very frustrating as i tried to ask windows but their signup page keeps on reverting back to home page which adds more frustration in my side.

My only question is how do i go from here?
I have MSI Gaming laptop and im stucked at "Undoing Changes made to PC" screen for 8 agonizing hours and it seems doesn't end there!

What should i do?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You may have to do a recovery.

Check this link out.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-recover-an-msi-laptop-to-original-factory-settings

This will erase any personal data.

You could also just try shutting down the laptop (typically long press on the power button) and then wait a few seconds and start it up again and see what options come up (if any). It may boot into Windows or it may try to recover again.

There is a way to prevent updates from installing automatically on Windows 10. Just do a search on it.

Hope you can sort your situation out.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I need to have any idea since 2 of my expensive gaming laptops just stop working after october 2019 update!

I also notice all updates are forced to all windows 10 client and after you have no choice, you end up with a laptop that will not boot up.

Im very frustrated since i just bought a new gaming laptop 5 days ago and after it force restart today due to update it does not function anymore.

It is stucked at "Undoing changes made to your PC" for 8 hours now.

its so much hassle why windows will do such thing forcing update that end up destroying expensive laptops not to mention the files that i need foe my work that i can not access now due to this unexpected /force updates.

Its very frustrating as i tried to ask windows but their signup page keeps on reverting back to home page which adds more frustration in my side.

My only question is how do i go from here?
I have MSI Gaming laptop and im stucked at "Undoing Changes made to PC" screen for 8 agonizing hours and it seems doesn't end there!

What should i do?

Given you have bought the laptops 5 days ago, I would suggest getting a refund and look for laptops with running 10 Pro as that is the only consumer SKU we can purchase that has greater control over updates over 10 Home.

The other alternative is to use rufus to download an older version of Windows 10 on another PC and reformat + reinstall - See here:

pureinfotech.com/download-windows-10-iso-create-bootable-usb-rufus/

Written by Mauro, who writes the how to guides for Windows Central.

However even with Windows 10 Pro it's a charlie foxtrot.

As Windows update does not respect a group policy setting that prevents drivers being downloaded via Windows update. The screenshots are on a clean install - the group policy setting was enabled prior to connecting to the internet and PC rebooted to ensure changes were effective. The Configure automatic (set to notify to dowload and auto install) updates was effective but the driver setting was not.

Group Policy Setting Not Adhered 2.PNG

Group Policy Setting Not Adhered.PNG

So you have two options from preventing buggy drivers change the setting in the screenshot below via control panel by searching for device.

Stop drivers from being dowloaded.PNG

The other option is to use DDU (display driver uninstaller) from Guru3D.com via options than under advanced options or you set it in both places to be on the safe side.

DDU Prevent Drivers Installs.PNG

Additionally, make sure you use the pause setting to prevent any more Windows 10 feature updates from auto downloading (for a set a time) if do you choose to stick with Windows 10 home.

You may have to do a recovery.

Check this link out.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-recover-an-msi-laptop-to-original-factory-settings

This will erase any personal data.

You could also just try shutting down the laptop (typically long press on the power button) and then wait a few seconds and start it up again and see what options come up (if any). It may boot into Windows or it may try to recover again.

There is a way to prevent updates from installing automatically on Windows 10. Just do a search on it.

Hope you can sort your situation out.

OP maybe able to do a recovery however chances are it's borked as W10 is stuck rolling back. Best remedy would be download 1903 or 1809 and stick with that until the October 2019 update gets fixed. I'd lean towards 1809 as some 1903 cumulative updates have been causing shut down and reboot issues.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Given you have bought the laptops 5 days ago, I would suggest getting a refund and look for laptops with running 10 Pro as that is the only consumer SKU we can purchase that has greater control over updates over 10 Home.

The other alternative is to use rufus to download an older version of Windows 10 on another PC and reformat + reinstall - See here:

pureinfotech.com/download-windows-10-iso-create-bootable-usb-rufus/

Written by Mauro, who writes the how to guides for Windows Central.

However even with Windows 10 Pro it's a charlie foxtrot.

As Windows update does not respect a group policy setting that prevents drivers being downloaded via Windows update. The screenshots are on a clean install - the group policy setting was enabled prior to connecting to the internet and PC rebooted to ensure changes were effective. The Configure automatic (set to notify to dowload and auto install) updates was effective but the driver setting was not.

View attachment 141588

View attachment 141589

So you have two options from preventing buggy drivers change the setting in the screenshot below via control panel by searching for device.

View attachment 141590

The other option is to use DDU (display driver uninstaller) from Guru3D.com via options than under advanced options or you set it in both places to be on the safe side.

View attachment 141591

Additionally, make sure you use the pause setting to prevent any more Windows 10 feature updates from auto downloading (for a set a time) if do you choose to stick with Windows 10 home.

OP maybe able to do a recovery however chances are it's borked as W10 is stuck rolling back. Best remedy would be download 1903 or 1809 and stick with that until the October 2019 update gets fixed. I'd lean towards 1809 as some 1903 cumulative updates have been causing shut down and reboot issues.

First, I never make assumptions on which version of Windows people are running. Since these are gaming laptops it's likely they'll be Pro but you just never know. It wasn't indicated in the OP.

Second, I'm not suggesting Windows recovery but using the recovery partition. This means reinstalling Windows completely.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
First, I never make assumptions on which version of Windows people are running. Since these are gaming laptops it's likely they'll be Pro but you just never know. It wasn't indicated in the OP.

Fair enough, I have come across many gaming laptops and high end laptops running 10 Home even recently when looking for laptops for another forum users. OEMS will cut costs where they can to maximise margins and the biggest margin they can get easily is the Windows 10 license.

Second, I'm not suggesting Windows recovery but using the recovery partition. This means reinstalling Windows completely.

I see, most laptops I've seen and most retailers I've come across offer a recovery usb key at an additional cost these days. As there is no dedicated hardware key to get into the recovery option which was the norm under Windows 7 but dwindled over time with Windows 8 and has become some what a rarity with Windows 10.

Jamie Brahm

Sep 4, 2019
Visit site
If you just brought them recently, take them back. The store should fix em.

All I know, is that the microsoft store has been broken for me for several revisions. There's feedback about this in the feedback app, but no fix yet. MSFT needs to get back to bugfixing.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough, I have come across many gaming laptops and high end laptops running 10 Home even recently when looking for laptops for another forum users. OEMS will cut costs where they can to maximise margins and the biggest margin they can get easily is the Windows 10 license.

I see, most laptops I've seen and most retailers I've come across offer a recovery usb key at an additional cost these days. As there is no dedicated hardware key to get into the recovery option which was the norm under Windows 7 but dwindled over time with Windows 8 and has become some what a rarity with Windows 10.

If I'm buying a gaming laptop I'd expect Windows Pro considering the money I'm spending on the machine. That's me personally. Unfortunately we haven't got much clarity on this and going to the website doesn't help in this instance.

I can't say for certain what new laptops are like as I haven't upgraded for a bit but I do know when I installed Windows 10 Pro fresh on my machine it created a recovery partition automatically.

Personally I don't see why it would matter for an OEM to have a recovery partition. It doesn't add anything to the overall cost of the laptop.

But then this wouldn't surprise me. The idea of getting a USB key is ridiculous because you can lose that way too easily.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If you just brought them recently, take them back. The store should fix em.

All I know, is that the microsoft store has been broken for me for several revisions. There's feedback about this in the feedback app, but no fix yet. MSFT needs to get back to bugfixing.

But is this a Windows issue or MSI issue. I'm more inclined to the MS angle.

As for taking them back, it depends what the conditions are for that. Every country/store is different.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Nowadays Windows 10 (since a recent big update) does not do the big updates automatically (you should wait a few weeks before installing them manually). It actually sounds like the Oem has not yet updated its firmware or such for the big update but I am not entirely sure. The easiest is to just bring the laptop back if you still can.
As a last resort if the above tips of other users did not work you can install W10 iso from MS site on an usb stick (from an other pc), plug it in the laptop and boot from it to reset/reinstall Windows (you should be able to use the oem key from the laptop iirc).

Having Windows 10 Pro is also a good option, but can also use tricks like setting your network to 'metered connection' or using something like OhShutUp10 to get more control. Just be keep in mind that you will want to get the small updates often, for security reasons.

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If I'm buying a gaming laptop I'd expect Windows Pro considering the money I'm spending on the machine. That's me personally. Unfortunately we haven't got much clarity on this and going to the website doesn't help in this instance.

I can't say for certain what new laptops are like as I haven't upgraded for a bit but I do know when I installed Windows 10 Pro fresh on my machine it created a recovery partition automatically.

Personally I don't see why it would matter for an OEM to have a recovery partition. It doesn't add anything to the overall cost of the laptop.

But then this wouldn't surprise me. The idea of getting a USB key is ridiculous because you can lose that way too easily.

Unfortunately even high end laptops these days come with 10 Home.... where you would expect to get Windows 10 pro especially for the price you paid for it.

Have you ever been able to reinstall windows 10 via this recovery partition created by Windows 10?

Genuinely curious.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I've never bothered with the partition to be honest. If I'm installing from scratch I'll download it from MS to USB and install it that way.

That's just me though.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've never bothered with the partition to be honest. If I'm installing from scratch I'll download it from MS to USB and install it that way.

That's just me though.

Fair enough, I never had much luck with it so never felt comfortable recommending people re-install their o/s that way in the event of not being able to boot to desktop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3