Whatsapp on Windows Phone going away.... "Last call gentlemen!"

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
https://winbuzzer.com/2019/11/19/windows-phone-whatsapp-to-close-on-december-31-xcxwbn/

will the last person using Windows 10 Mobile please turn the lights off when they leave.......

sorry this will make my phone not viable. I can live without a FB app or IG app but I have to have Whatsapp. I was planning on changing in December anyway but this is one more bit of depressing news.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
https://winbuzzer.com/2019/11/19/windows-phone-whatsapp-to-close-on-december-31-xcxwbn/

will the last person using Windows 10 Mobile please turn the lights off when they leave.......

sorry this will make my phone not viable. I can live without a FB app or IG app but I have to have Whatsapp. I was planning on changing in December anyway but this is one more bit of depressing news.

Yeah, WhatsApp keeps telling us for months that it is closing down on Dec 31. Time to change for me as well, as it is also my most important app. I'll leave a candle for you guys :)

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
I'm still here with my Lumia 950, but I won't carry on without WhatsApp.

Notice that WhatsApp is ending the support because Microsoft ended their own to the platform in july… so, at least, it's Microsoft who did this.

I will get a Nokia in December and wait for the Surface Duo. I hope we get a device as far of Google environment as possible (considering it will run Android), and, who knows, in a not so far future, we could get a new Windows OS mobile. I don't want to be with Google more than the necessary.

Renoktation

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
I don't want to be with Google more than the necessary.

Google, Microsoft or Apple - every company is same. They all work with a common principle of maximising their profits. I understand that there may be certain aspects of W10M that you were really fond of, but that has nothing to do with Microsoft. It existed because of some engineers who happened to work for Microsoft, the same engineers who work for Google or Apple.

I have been in your place and I have a friendly suggestion for you. Stop thinking about these companies and just think about yourself. You need apps and you need an UI that is modern and intuitive, perhaps with Live Tiles. You can get the former from Android phones, and you will have to wait for some time for the later!

I have heard somewhere that UWP runtime is being ported to Android.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Google, Microsoft or Apple - every company is same. They all work with a common principle of maximising their profits.
, no, not every company is the same. Google's income mostly comes from ads (this includes profiling and tracking), this is not the case with Apple and Microsoft. Google being an advertisement company at its core means that we users are the product, it is not rocket science. Besides that, MS and Apple have more to loose reputation wise concerning their privacy value image.
There are also some other security and privacy flaws with android phones, like often crap update support and apps being able to bypass permissions through certain Google API's etc.

On topic: I silently hoped that whats app would just kept working. My lumia still works fine. :\ Guess I will buy a cheap phone and use the lumia for the photos than.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Google, Microsoft or Apple - every company is same. They all work with a common principle of maximising their profits. I understand that there may be certain aspects of W10M that you were really fond of, but that has nothing to do with Microsoft. It existed because of some engineers who happened to work for Microsoft, the same engineers who work for Google or Apple.

I have been in your place and I have a friendly suggestion for you. Stop thinking about these companies and just think about yourself. You need apps and you need an UI that is modern and intuitive, perhaps with Live Tiles. You can get the former from Android phones, and you will have to wait for some time for the later!

I have heard somewhere that UWP runtime is being ported to Android.

Yes, you're right, I'm the final user and I need a phone with Apps. But also a phone with a good operation, and I had bad experiences with this in Android OS, and good experiences with Windows OS: talking about menus simplicity, not charged interface, fluency, etc.

To get this in Android you need a huge hardware, and with the time the phone goes down in two years at least. I had a Lumia 930 since three years working as the first day, until I broke it. And know I have a Lumia 950 which works very well too, that I can't say about my family's Android phones, that are having problems all with space and SD cards.

And well… I see Windows Phone too much "clean" than Android is, which have lot of options, menus, folders, etc. making it hard to configure and manage.

I think Windows Phone was perfect, it just needed more apps, but users didn't let it the oportunity to grow.

So, , in my opinión, I'm sure if that Microsoft wants to get some advantage with this new device, it needs to take advantage of the Android apps, but make the device as near with the Windows Phone philosofy as possible.

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you're right, I'm the final user and I need a phone with Apps. But also a phone with a good operation, and I had bad experiences with this in Android OS, and good experiences with Windows OS: talking about menus simplicity, not charged interface, fluency, etc.

To get this in Android you need a huge hardware, and with the time the phone goes down in two years at least. I had a Lumia 930 since three years working as the first day, until I broke it. And know I have a Lumia 950 which works very well too, that I can't say about my family's Android phones, that are having problems all with space and SD cards.

And well… I see Windows Phone too much "clean" than Android is, which have lot of options, menus, folders, etc. making it hard to configure and manage.

I think Windows Phone was perfect, it just needed more apps, but users didn't let it the oportunity to grow.

So, , in my opinión, I'm sure if that Microsoft wants to get some advantage with this new device, it needs to take advantage of the Android apps, but make the device as near with the Windows Phone philosofy as possible.
Likewise I have just shut down my lumia 950 and bought a Samsung S10e. I prefer Windows but have no choice. I too hope they make the Duo as microsoft as possible. I also wish they would just bring out a single sheet surface even with android.

HarryWinPhone

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I also refuse to give up my Lumia 950, its a great phone. However WA is the app (apart from my own apps) that i'll use the most.
There are rumors that WA is going to release a UWP version, however it looks like it takes forever to be released.

So an other option that I'm exploring is to install Windows 10 on it, and run an emulator to host WA and use the windows client to receive and write messages.

Can perhaps anyone confirm that this setup is working (or not)?

Windows 10 ARM on Lumia phones:
https://github.com/WOA-Project/MSM8994-8992-NT-ARM64-Drivers/wiki/Status

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
I am still undecided if I stay on board. Whatsapp group chats will be the only thing I will really miss but sacrificing notes through live tiles feels like the jump will be 1 step forwards and 1 step backwards (not sure if iOS or Android have something good enough to replace it).

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site

WhatsApp on any of the Android/iOS choices is good. If your prefer longevity of hardware and software life, I’d probably go iOS since it’s closed ecosystem. Android is going that direction but not there yet unless you choose Android proprietary hardware.

Like former BlackBerry users, the OS change is just noise. The one difference is that Microsoft offers Windows launcher for Android but remember Microsoft apps for Android/iOS doesn’t want to be Windows completely so Microsoft tries appeasement of the Android/iOS base first, Windows fans third...

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
Ok the WhatsApp was the nail in the coffin, one day before the deadline I've moved over to Android. Sigh.....

Windows 10 mobile had such potential.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes