OneDrive Dilemma

compiler

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
I have W 10 with latest update on 2 computers. I have OneDrive, which contains the Desktop Folder. This was great when I got a new computer, d/l W10 + updates and signed in as my desktop got instantly populated. But here is my problem.

I have about 6 folders I want on my desktop of the first computer and 6 others for my second computer's desktop. But what goes on one goes on the other. I need desktop in One Drive for other reasons. Is there a way to do this and still have unique folders on the desktop of each computer?

Mel

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The folders on your desktop are just "shortcuts" to the actual folders in your file directory. You can use "File Explorer" to see your file directory. Open the "File Explorer" software and look at the directory of all your folders and files. Double Click on OneDrive to see the folders and files there. Single click on any of them and then right click. A menu will open with lots of options. One of the options will be create "shortcut on desktop". This works for files or folders.

Last edited:

compiler

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Kevin, but I am aware of that. But I want shortcuts on my desktop. Again, some on one computer and NOT on the other. I can't seem to do that and still have the desktop in OneDrive

Mel

gmoore114

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
In explorer, OneDrive. Right click the folder you want on the PC and select " always keep on this device ".
Then you have three choices using a right click on the selected folder.
pin to quick access
Pin to start
Send to > desktop as a shortcut

compiler

Jan 22, 2020
Visit site
Thanks folks, but still no joy.
Again, let me simplify my problem. Say I want file A ON the desktop on Computer#1 but NOT on Computer #2.
But once it is on Computer #1 then Onedrive puts it on both computers.
So I go to Computer #1, right click on file A, choose to always keep on this device. I then delete that file from Computer #2.
Unfortunately, it also gets deleted from Computer #1. Why?

Mel

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Okay... hopefully I'm understanding what you'd like to do.

On OneDrive, create two folders within the root.
Computer1
Computer2

Direct the Desktop folder, from Computer1, to the Computer1 folder.
Direct the Desktop folder, from Computer2, to the Computer2 folder.

P.s. This actually doesn't answer your question, but it is an option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss