Windows 10: How to Upgrade to one machine for entire Home Network

JDFen

Feb 1, 2020
Visit site
I have a limited data plan so I want to conserve internet use as much as possible.

I have two laptops identical in every way including the applications that are installed on each. They are both on my home private network. My question is: If I download Microsoft upgrades in the normal way from the Internet to one of them, can I avoid doing it on the other by setting it to get the upgrades from the first one rather than over the Internet? On both machines, I've set updates to "Allow downloads from other PCs on my local network." I don't know how this works, or if I need to do anything else, so would very much appreciate advice. Thanks in advance. JD

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a limited data plan so I want to conserve internet use as much as possible.

I have two laptops identical in every way including the applications that are installed on each. They are both on my home private network. My question is: If I download Microsoft upgrades in the normal way from the Internet to one of them, can I avoid doing it on the other by setting it to get the upgrades from the first one rather than over the Internet? On both machines, I've set updates to "Allow downloads from other PCs on my local network." I don't know how this works, or if I need to do anything else, so would very much appreciate advice. Thanks in advance. JD

If you want greater control, you can download updates manually from the Microsoft's update catalogue.

Microsoft Update Catalog

In regards to the question, that's how the functionality should work however I've not tried it out myself.

Given amount of times a cumulative update has broken functionality in W10 it's hard to say with any certanity if it will work or not therefore others would be best place to answer the question.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site

, not directly an answer to your question but if you haven't done already you might want to turn on 'Metered connection' in Windows for your home network. This will give you more control for updates and you can set it per network. Another possibly interesting feature: in the Data Usage tab you can also limit background app usage and set a data limit. Both can be found under Network & Internet in Settings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett