Dell Technologies Cyber Savings Event - Up to 45% off

I was scrolling through the list of updated apps and imagine my surprise when I saw Microsoft Pay as listed as recently updated app.

microsoft-pay...png

Upon clicking on Microsoft pay, the store listing does open but it doesn't launch.

Interestingly, mobile is listed as a support device including hololens.

microsoft-pay-store-listing.png

microsoft-pay-device-listing.png

I sure as hell hope the Surface Duo launches with Microsoft Pay support as well, providing the secure element is on device there shouldn't be any issues in using it for tap and pay. As many places support various tap and pay methods already.

Anyway, thoughts?
    05-26-2020 03:46 PM
    I'd have to guess it doesn't work because you may not have NFC on your device. There are - believe it or not - people out there still using L950s and L650s. The second part of that equation is what banks still support the Microsoft Wallet? That may be rarer than finding a Yugo that still runs.
    Laura Knotek and TechFreak1 like this.
    05-26-2020 07:43 PM
    I sure as hell hope the Surface Duo launches with Microsoft Pay support as well, providing the secure element is on device there shouldn't be any issues in using it for tap and pay. As many places support various tap and pay methods already.
    The Surface Duo should launch with Google Pay support.
    05-27-2020 11:26 AM
    The Surface Duo should launch with Google Pay support.
    if it has nfc. the last I read it will not have nfc. no nfc, no google pay as we know it.
    05-27-2020 01:24 PM
    if it has nfc. the last I read it will not have nfc. no nfc, no google pay as we know it.
    Not necessarily true. If you pair a WearOS watch with it you'll have Google Pay. Or a Fitbit with Fitbit Pay. Having a Fitbit is how I was able to carry a WinMo 10 device up until the end of last year.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-27-2020 04:50 PM
    Ah OK, I wasn't sure if the Duo would have NFC. I think it could still have Android Pay, but obviously tap and pay wouldn't work.

Not necessarily true. If you pair a WearOS watch with it you'll have Google Pay. Or a Fitbit with Fitbit Pay. Having a Fitbit is how I was able to carry a WinMo 10 device up until the end of last year.
    Correct. I have a Samsung watch, and I can use Samsung Pay with my non Samsung phone. It's pretty cool actually, because it includes MST. I can use it almost anywhere a credit card is accepted.
    05-27-2020 05:35 PM
    but we are not talking about the watch. the post I replied to was ONLY about the phone.
    05-27-2020 05:58 PM
    I wonder how many people would adopt Microsoft Pay, even if it were available on a phone. It would take a lot to convince people already using Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay to switch.
    me just saying likes this.
    05-28-2020 12:24 AM
    I wonder how many people would adopt Microsoft Pay, even if it were available on a phone. It would take a lot to convince people already using Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay to switch.
    not me, I already have too many. kroger pay, walmart pay, samsung pay, and google pay. if it were not for the cheaper gas with kroger, the digitized receipts from walmart, and the ability to use google pay online in more places, I would only use samsung. I do not see any advantage microsoft would have at this time
    05-28-2020 12:32 AM
    That's the beauty of it, you don't have to switch. It's just one more option to have. Ideally, it would be nice to have Samsung Pay with MST on a watch and Apple Pay, Google Pay or Microsoft pay on your phone so that you have all types of contactless payment available all the time. Conversely, you could have a Samsung phone and another NFC payment on your watch if you prefer Samsung phones. When I use my iPhone (rarely) I don't use an Apple Watch with it. I like options, as many as possible.
    Laura Knotek and TechFreak1 like this.
    05-28-2020 12:03 PM
    but we are not talking about the watch. the post I replied to was ONLY about the phone.
    I realize that. I was pointing out that it's not a dead-end street, there are ways of getting around that inconvenience. You can't be a diehard Windows fan without having to deal with workarounds, that would be sacrilege.
    05-28-2020 12:07 PM
    I realize that. I was pointing out that it's not a dead-end street, there are ways of getting around that inconvenience. You can't be a diehard Windows fan without having to deal with workarounds, that would be sacrilege.
    never said it was a dead end street, I was ONLY talking about the phone and ONLY the phone. watches had nothing to do with the post I was responding to NOR my post.
    05-28-2020 03:01 PM
    never said it was a dead end street, I was ONLY talking about the phone and ONLY the phone. watches had nothing to do with the post I was responding to NOR my post.
    You said “no google pay as we know it”. That’s a blanket statement that could steer someone away from this device if they weren’t aware of the alternative. We’re all here to help, not to get into pi$$ing contests.
    tgp and Laura Knotek like this.
    05-28-2020 03:30 PM
    @me just saying steady now, keep it civil lol.
    @fatclue_98 True, have no use for NFC on a desktop PC but somepart of me was hoping it would at least you know tie into the Wallet app so at least we could sync changes and what not lol.
    @Laura Knotek, it's not about convincing people to us Microsoft pay, Microsoft no longer has the opportunities to do that anymore given the mismanagment in the mobile space so they will have to start at the begining. So right now as opposed to having access to both consumers and enterprise customers, they only have the latter.

They can use Microsoft Pay as another e-commerce / merchant payment processor given how massive mobile payments are i.e tap 'n pay where some processors charge a fixed fee of the equivalent to a upto 50 cents or a percentage point of the transaction. Cumulatively that is alot of money and Microsoft has the infrastructure in form of Azure and the data centres. So they do not have invest in creating any infrastructure at all so therefore with that in place and Microsoft's brand they can easily and rapidly scale up.

After a certain point, Microsoft pay would also have to be on competitors devices because it's much more convenient for people to use the Microsoft Pay to manage their finance as the app can leverage powerbi to analyse a person's purchase habits, provide an easy to read graph or pie chart of their expenses without having to manually enter any data into a spreadsheet. Also if they opt-in the app can suggest where they can save money etc.

However, the obvious caveat is that this data will have to be processed within data regulations such as GDPR, data protection and the equivalent. There is always the overlooming possibility of advertisers trying to claw their way into that data, but EU regulations like GDPR is profoundly strict as the data can be processed for what it is required and then discarded. It cannot be sold or given to any third party without express permission of the user and they can not be auto-opted in by a TOS.

To satisfy that requirement, people have to opt-in to share their data hence why even if you reject 'advertising cookies' or 'analytical scripts' when prompted by websites Like ZDnet for example you can still access them.

zdnet-opt-.png

In short, Microsoft pay is a missed business opportunity imo.
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 05-30-2020 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Typo.. In Sort to In Short oops hahaha...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-29-2020 06:25 AM