2004 Update: Your device isn't quite ready for it

bentwookie2

May 30, 2020
Visit site
I went to update to 2004 but was told: We're offering this to compatible devices, but your device isn't quite ready for it.

I've read that this means there's some driver, etc that isn't compatible. How do I go about figuring out what's not "ready"? There's no log, and the list of known issues don't really seem to affect me. What do I do to fix it? Wait? For who and for how long?

This is the most "Reply hazy, try again" message I've ever gotten from a computer :)

I'm on 1909 (18363.836) with an i7 8700K processor.

Thanks

Menomena

May 31, 2020
Visit site
If only Microsoft would provide a list of problematic drivers for 2004, we could then try to update or, perhaps, even delete that driver. Right? And what does "not quite ready" mean, anyway!

Menomena

May 31, 2020
Visit site
I subscribed to this thread and was given the choice of receiving notifications of postings to that thread by email or at my control panel. I cannot find a link or button to open my control panel or any information about what or where the Windows Central control panel is. Please help me with this.

Also, I emailed the above question to: forums@windowscentral.com but my client rejected my send, saying that the address doesn't exist. That is why I am sending my question to you. I would like the webmaster of this site to get it but don't know how.

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
I don't think there is a way to find out exactly why your computer was not ready for the update other than the learn more button. was there not a learn more button under the message? some things you can do is to make sure you have the latest drivers from the computer manufacturer, disable any third-party security utilities, maybe even do a disk cleanup. unplug usb devices then try again

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I subscribed to this thread and was given the choice of receiving notifications of postings to that thread by email or at my control panel. I cannot find a link or button to open my control panel or any information about what or where the Windows Central control panel is. Please help me with this.

Also, I emailed the above question to: forums@windowscentral.com but my client rejected my send, saying that the address doesn't exist. That is why I am sending my question to you. I would like the webmaster of this site to get it but don't know how.
Hi Menomena,
Go to the top of the page and click on "Your Menu" and then "Subscribed". You can manage your subscriptions from there.

bentwookie2

May 30, 2020
Visit site
The content linked via the Learn More button isn't very specific. As far as I can tell, it's a list of everything they're investigating for the release. I even ran Get-WindowsUpdateLog and tried to cross the (verbose) results of that against the Learn-More list and couldn't find an obvious culprit. I guess some day it will install, or perhaps it never will because of some ancient driver I don't know to remove.

The whole stack is a mess. I wish they'd start over.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Your world will not end if you don't have the latest Windows 10 update and, honestly, I'd rather have a working system than a system that crashes due to some oem not bothering to release updated drivers.

My Surface Pro 7 is also blocked... but I downloaded the update tool and updated anyway. No issues that I can see. Imagine if MS went ahead and updated your system, which then crashed!

bentwookie2

May 30, 2020
Visit site
I'd ignore the whole thing, except I'd like to unify some development work using WSL2 and happen to be a good stage to do so. I'm not questioning the decision to prevent installation on my machine, but rather how they leave users in the dark as to why.

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm not questioning the decision to prevent installation on my machine, but rather how they leave users in the dark as to why.
Totally agree. The message implies something is wrong with my computer. But the issue is actually with the update. It should say, "We are pausing release of this update until recently discovered issues are corrected. We apologize for this delay."

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Surface Laptop 2 just got a ton of updates including 2 firmware updates. But still no W10 "04." Hope it arrives before "09."

(And why do they even bother using a date or even a season to name these things since they mostly never hit that target.)

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I went to update to 2004 but was told: We're offering this to compatible devices, but your device isn't quite ready for it.

This is a Good Thing. Why would you want to be first in line to install this? Why aren't you blocking "feature updates" for at least 90 days?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos