My friend knows very little about computers He fell for the Microsoft scam where he had to call their “support line.” They took control of his computer. He realized just in time that there was a problem and managed to hang up and shut down. But, when I had him check things, we found Go To Assist Customer from Logmein on his computer. When we tried to UNINSTALL it said there were other users on. We continued anyway but it asked for a password. How do we eliminate the program? (W10 ver 1909)

Mel
    07-10-2020 01:17 PM
    My advice: 1) Check if there's a recent restore point prior to the incident and try to restore to it, or 2) Reset the PC with the delete everything option. You'll want to back up documents, photos, etc. first
    07-10-2020 02:58 PM
    I suggested he disconnect from the internet and try to delete it again. It was too much for him to do.
    I suggested restoring from a B/U, but he has no idea of what a B/U is. Sigh...

But this story has a happy ending. He called his anti-virus company, Mcaffee, and they were able to remove it.

He still doesn't know how he could have anti-virus software and still get a virus.

Mel
    07-10-2020 03:01 PM
    I suggested he disconnect from the internet and try to delete it again. It was too much for him to do.
    I suggested restoring from a B/U, but he has no idea of what a B/U is. Sigh...

But this story has a happy ending. He called his anti-virus company, Mcaffee, and they were able to remove it.

He still doesn't know how he could have anti-virus software and still get a virus.

Mel
    need to explain that it was not a virus. just keep a watch on the computer for the next few weeks and run windows defender or whatever antivirus is installed more often than normal. also may want to run a companion utility such as malwarebytes more often too - just in case.
    07-10-2020 06:43 PM
    My friend knows very little about computers He fell for the Microsoft scam where he had to call their “support line.” They took control of his computer. He realized just in time that there was a problem and managed to hang up and shut down. But, when I had him check things, we found Go To Assist Customer from Logmein on his computer. When we tried to UNINSTALL it said there were other users on. We continued anyway but it asked for a password. How do we eliminate the program? (W10 ver 1909)

Mel
    Another big, bad Microsoft post. Unlike the OP's friend, I know a lot about computers. Yet, a couple of times I believe, going back to Windows 7 at least, I have appreciated when a Microsoft tech has offered to fix my computer remotely after I chose to chat or call for support. It required me to personally install an applet and granting through it remote control of my PC. Pretty cool watching the arrow move on my screen and learning what to do -or undo. The last time, I even recorded the session with my camera. Each time it's been very clear what applet was installed to enable the remote, and that I was advised to uninstall right after the session. I never hung up during a session, never had a problem uninstalling, nor were there ever any passwords involved, btw. I didn't know Microsoft still offered this. Of course, there are scams that are offered through telephone solicitations that the "inexperienced" will fall for, but those are not "Microsoft scams". Good luck fixing your friend's next problem: NOT RECOMMENDING because I can't know your situation or context, or your own knowledge/experience, and I don't recall what applet Microsoft had me install, but this page may help orient or guide you or others with a logmein issue: https://help.logmein.com/articles/en...all-LogMeIn-in -Again, best of luck.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-10-2020 06:59 PM
    Another big, bad Microsoft post. Unlike the OP's friend, I know a lot about computers. Yet, a couple of times I believe, going back to Windows 7 at least, I have appreciated when a Microsoft tech has offered to fix my computer remotely after I chose to chat or call for support. It required me to personally install an applet and granting through it remote control of my PC. Pretty cool watching the arrow move on my screen and learning what to do -or undo. The last time, I even recorded the session with my camera. Each time it's been very clear what applet was installed to enable the remote, and that I was advised to uninstall right after the session. I never hung up during a session, never had a problem uninstalling, nor were there ever any passwords involved, btw. I didn't know Microsoft still offered this. Of course, there are scams that are offered through telephone solicitations that the "inexperienced" will fall for, but those are not "Microsoft scams". Good luck fixing your friend's next problem: NOT RECOMMENDING because I can't know your situation or context, or your own knowledge/experience, and I don't recall what applet Microsoft had me install, but this page may help orient or guide you or others with a logmein issue: https://help.logmein.com/articles/en...all-LogMeIn-in -Again, best of luck.
    that may or may not be the issue in this case. there are a lot of scams out there that pretend to be from microsoft support when they are just wanting access to your computer or your credit card info even though they may actually fix your computer too. a search for help would find a bunch of them in the first few search pages. too many people are fooled by them. IMO, never give remote access to your computer no matter the problem. you can always find other legit help. might take longer but it would be safer.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-10-2020 07:36 PM
    Microsoft Support ALWAYS has you go through a consent page and then (once you agree) they will issue a 6-digit code for you to enter to make the final connection; and the first thing they do is create a new Restore Point. As far as the MS Tech Support from India solicitation, usually in the guise of "a global error has been detected by MS" has been going on for 8-10 years that I know of:(
    07-10-2020 09:26 PM
    first disconnect the system from internet.

kill the process in task manager

uninstall it .

run a malware scan using Malwarebytes free. if the scammer was able to inject any exploit you will be alerted.

i am sorry what happened, be very vigilant next time onwards. good luck.
    07-11-2020 11:40 PM