Transfer from old to new windows 10 pc

anonymoususer567832

Aug 6, 2020
Visit site
Hi there, I’m upgrading my Windows 10 PC to another W10 PC and wanted to know if there was a free solution to transferring all the apps, data, etc. and that would include a decent amount of storage during the transfer. Like that I could transfer a few gigs or just all of the ‘stuff’ at no cost, many thanks.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
There are services that do that, but I wouldn't trust any of them now-a-days. Tons of applications that offer "free" transfer options, but do you want to give access to any/all personal info on your computer? (hint: answer should be "NO").

Microsoft doesn't have the Windows Easy Transfer tool supporting Windows 10, but they did partner with a company to offer a paid application to move files from one PC to another: (link in this page at Microsoft). Personally, I'd just use a large USB to do this and not pay for an app that basically does the same thing.

Sounds like you want a lot for free (especially transferring 'a few gigs')... you're best off doing what most others do and transfer your files to an outside drive or USB, then move them to the new computer. You will have to reinstall any programs on the new PC manually (which is standard). Just make a list of the programs you have installed and reinstall from their official sites on the new PC. This thread at MS has a good explanation as to why you can't do this and how to reinstall those programs manually.

Good luck!

anonymoususer567832

Aug 6, 2020
Visit site
There are services that do that, but I wouldn't trust any of them now-a-days. Tons of applications that offer "free" transfer options, but do you want to give access to any/all personal info on your computer? (hint: answer should be "NO").

Microsoft doesn't have the Windows Easy Transfer tool supporting Windows 10, but they did partner with a company to offer a paid application to move files from one PC to another: (link in this page at Microsoft). Personally, I'd just use a large USB to do this and not pay for an app that basically does the same thing.

Sounds like you want a lot for free (especially transferring 'a few gigs')... you're best off doing what most others do and transfer your files to an outside drive or USB, then move them to the new computer. You will have to reinstall any programs on the new PC manually (which is standard). Just make a list of the programs you have installed and reinstall from their official sites on the new PC. This thread at MS has a good explanation as to why you can't do this and how to reinstall those programs manually.

Good luck!

Hi, thanks for your detailed and helpful reply. Any thoughts on the pc mover app that was acquired by Microsoft? Is that a good solution for efficient transfer? Thanks.

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've never used it or really seen anything on it. You can Google it for reviews, but you can pick up a 32 Gig USB flash drive at Walmart for around $9.99 and just drag/drop your personal files, pics, videos, etc to that and move them to the new PC easily.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Another option is an external HDD. I have a 4 TB external HDD that I use to backup my data, and I also used it to transfer specific data from an old PC to a new one using the external HDD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism