I am a senior non-techie user and have been trying to clean out and organize my Win 10 files. For whatever reason I have found 3 destop files: one is \user\public\destop, one is at \user\user\desktop, and one at \documents\OneDrive\desktop (I had installed OneDrive at one time but later uninstalled it). Each of these desktop folders is slightly different. I think that the OneDrive desktop file is the one loading after login. I can't believe that's correct. Which desktop should be loading after login? How do I set the one I should see...I am the only user on this PC?

Also, suddenly at each login, all my desktop icons have been moved to the left side of the screen. My desktop wallpaper is correct.

In all my intended cleanup I have obviously done something wrong. Can someone help me straighten things out, please?
    09-08-2020 09:58 AM
    In File Explorer, under Quick Access, right-click Desktop, go to Properties, and then to Location to confirm. The default is the C:\Users\%UserName% but the stuff in the Public desktop also applies globally in addition to the user. If you create a shortcut on your desktop, it'll appear in your designated location, not in the public. Many apps, especially browsers, will create shortcuts in the public folder to ensure everyone sees them. You need admin permissions to permanently delete anything from the public desktop.
    Attached Thumbnails user-desktop-location.jpg  
    Last edited by spicypadthai; 09-08-2020 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Grammar fix
    09-08-2020 10:48 AM
    Thanks for your reply, spicypalthai. Thanks for that direction. Will it be OK to delete the extra desktop folder in documents\OneDrive\desktop?
    09-08-2020 03:28 PM
    Thanks for your reply, spicypalthai. Thanks for that direction. Will it be OK to delete the extra desktop folder in documents\OneDrive\desktop?
    It's a default folder and OneDrive can be finicky so I'd leave it.
    09-08-2020 03:48 PM
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I no longer have OneDrive installed. So, in my Chrome settings when I specify Download location as Desktop, the downloads go into the OneDrive\Desktop and I can't redirect to my personal desktop.
    09-08-2020 04:02 PM
    I'd change the location (my first reply w/screenshot) to what you want, then change the Chrome download setting which you should be able to do now to C:\Users\%UserName%\Downloads or wherever you want, and if everything works as expected, then delete the OneDrive folder(s).
    09-08-2020 04:34 PM
    Began to implement your instructions but ran into the following 2 warning screens that freaked me out. Is it still OK to proceed?
    Attached Thumbnails desktop-warning-1.gif   desktop-warning-2.gif  
    09-08-2020 04:52 PM
    Probably, I'm assuming you clicked "Move" and selected the location in the message. What's the location if you click Restore Default?
    09-08-2020 05:38 PM
    Restore Default locations is C:\users\user-me\desktop just as the one I manually selected. But I get the same warning screens. Do I click "Yes" to each and proceed?
    09-08-2020 06:09 PM
    Yes, just make note of the current location in case you want to/need to revert it.
    09-08-2020 06:31 PM
    Got it! And thanks for the guidance.
    09-08-2020 10:26 PM