One PC, two accounts, one licence?

X-CASE

Sep 30, 2020
Visit site
Hello there,

I'd like to know if I need two separate Windows 10 licences if I want to use one PC but with two different A/D accounts. The background is that my company wants to give every employee one account with and one account without admin rights.

Thank you for your help.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
As long as you have Windows 10 Pro, you can have as many accounts as you like.

Now, if this is a company, then that computer will also need either a User cal or device cal. As you're the 'same' user, you can have two accounts but that's a grey area that someone might be able to update on. Another method would be to allow staff access to the LOCAL admin account (full privs) for changes, then the locked account for domain connectivity.

Another way would be to supply each staff member with ONE locked-down account, but when you DO wish to do something, you'd be prompted for admin rights. There's your second account setup on the domain.

me just saying

May 17, 2020
Visit site
no problem with win 10 os. Now you may have a licensing problem with other software. be sure to read the license of all other software that is shared.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
This is for laptops provided by the company.

The general rule of thumb, one PC one license.

As others have stated, you can have as many accounts as you like. In this case if you don't have access to the user with admin rights you won't be able to create any additional user accounts.

There are various types of O/S licenses, only two of these impact users across the board: Retail or OEI/OEM. Laptops have OEM licenses attached and cannot be moved to another device. The same applies to pre-built or system builder systems - simplest way to think about it is - the license key is attached to the motherboard.

Only the retail license you can easily move from old PC (after deactivation) to a new PC however there are activation limits.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
" I need two separate Windows 10 licences if I want to use one PC but with two different A/D accounts"

You'd use a Device cal. One machine, multiple users.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Oh. Ah. Okay then.

Wouldn't it be easier to allow each person to have 'local' admin rights to the machine. Eneter user/pass of the admin account on the machine and you can then accomplish tasks.

Anyway...

EACH user requires a USER cal. Two accounts, even if they're the SAME person, requires TWO USER cals.
Better to go with the ONE DEVICE cal, per each device. Please be aware that a mobile phone is a device (or at least it was the last time I checked).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism