Why is my command not working?

Solomon Olaniyan

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
I wanted to upgrade my OS to a 64-bit from a 32-bit processor. I was following the guide for that here, but when I wanted to make sure my PCU was compatible on step 6, the coreinfo command wouldn't work. It kept saying that it was unable to extract the x64 image and to run coreinfo from a writeable directory, but I don't understand.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to upgrade my OS to a 64-bit from a 32-bit processor. I was following the guide for that here, but when I wanted to make sure my PCU was compatible on step 6, the coreinfo command wouldn't work. It kept saying that it was unable to extract the x64 image and to run coreinfo from a writeable directory, but I don't understand.

Generally speaking, you will need to reinstall Windows and install the 64bit version. Therefore you will either need to partition your storage drive for the new install or completely remove your current windows install or purchase a new storage drive and install the 64bit version of Windows on it.

Make sure you back up all your data before migrating to 64bit Windows.

What are the specs of your PC or Laptop?

Solomon Olaniyan

Dec 4, 2020
Visit site
Generally speaking, you will need to reinstall Windows and install the 64bit version. Therefore you will either need to partition your storage drive for the new install or completely remove your current windows install or purchase a new storage drive and install the 64bit version of Windows on it.

Make sure you back up all your data before migrating to 64bit Windows.

What are the specs of your PC or Laptop?

Well, I have an AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core Processor 1.80GHz
3.25 GB available out of 4 GB, and i have a 32-bit operating system on a x64-based processor

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, I have an AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core Processor 1.80GHz
3.25 GB available out of 4 GB, and i have a 32-bit operating system on a x64-based processor

I see, thanks for confirming your CPU.

It would be helpful to know which operating system :winktongue: you are running as the CPU is around 11 years old...

jerrymaguire

Dec 16, 2020
Visit site
Making Sure Windows 10 64-bit is Compatible With Your PC

Step 1: Press Windows key + I from the keyboard.

Step 2: Click on System.

Step 3: Click on About.

Step 4: Check the system type, if it says: 32-bit operating system, the x64-based processor then your PC is running a 32-bit version of Windows 10 on a 64-bit processor. If it says 32-bit operating system, x86-based processor, then your computer doesn't support Windows 10 64-bit version.

Hope this helps.
Jerry

jennie91

Nov 2, 2020
Visit site
Restart Your Windows 10 PC.
Temporarily Disable Antivirus Software.
Modify PATH Environment Variables Settings.
Create a New User Account.
Run SFC with Windows PowerShell.
Create a Shortcut for CMD Application.
Check If Command Prompt Works in Safe Mode.
Perform a System Restore.

Update PATH System Environment Variable to enable CMD to work.

1. Type: environ in the Search box and select "Edit" the system environment variables to open "System Properties with Advanced". ... Reboot PC and then you shall be able to use CMD in Windows 10 again

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Restart Your Windows 10 PC.
Temporarily Disable Antivirus Software.
Modify PATH Environment Variables Settings.
Create a New User Account.
Run SFC with Windows PowerShell.
Create a Shortcut for CMD Application.
Check If Command Prompt Works in Safe Mode.
Perform a System Restore.

Update PATH System Environment Variable to enable CMD to work.

1. Type: environ in the Search box and select "Edit" the system environment variables to open "System Properties with Advanced". ... Reboot PC and then you shall be able to use CMD in Windows 10 again

Thanks for your input, the OP wanted to change the OS to 64bit from 32bit lol. I do agree the thread title is misleading... lol :grincry:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss