Hello everyone,,,
    I am still on windows 7, i did refuse the free windows 10 upgrade. I'm gonna build a new PC soon (already have most parts, waiting for a good deal on an older GPU https://trackeasy.fun/usps/ https://showbox.tools/)

My BF does have Windows 10 and i really don't like it....Windows 7 is not gonna be supported after 2020. Are we stuck with Windows 10 forever???
    Last edited by Jaraya; 01-31-2021 at 03:19 AM.
    01-29-2021 06:00 AM
    You're definitely going to want to get off of Windows 7 a.s.a.p. just for security reasons alone. You will be "stuck" with Windows 10 until that version is sunsetted for a new version that moves beyond. I was like you when they changed the versions (but I'm not one who likes change), but after getting used to Win10, I do like it better.

It will be either get used to Windows 10, or move over to Linux. Either way, you'll have to get used to something new.
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    01-29-2021 07:39 AM
    you can give win10 a win7 look using a free utility from sourceforge called openshell. But to answer your question, yes you will be stuck with win10 forever unless they change the name :-) or you can always check out linux, if you are not a gamer.
    01-29-2021 09:56 AM
    Hello everyone,,,
    I am still on windows 7, i did refuse the free windows 10 upgrade. I'm gonna build a new PC soon (already have most parts, waiting for a good deal on an older GPU)

My BF does have Windows 10 and i really don't like it....Windows 7 is not gonna be supported after 2020. Are we stuck with Windows 10 forever???
    I'm still running Windows 7 on my i7 16GB dual-disk Intel NUC-desktop; in fact, I had to order a custom one because Win-7 systems were already not being sold a few years ago when I last needed a new system. Note, I did upgrade a Win 8.1 Surface Pro 2 to Win 10 when it became available, and I have a Surface 3 with Win 10. I too, still prefer Win 7; and I am a minor expert on it, which is the main reason I still rely on it. Win 10 is fine, but I am still a relative amateur on it. I can still get important software for the NUC, and with Win 7 support. I just got Paint Shop Pro 2021 Ultimate, for instance, and Malwarebytes and a couple of backup programs I run are also available for Win 7, as are MusicBee, my favorite music-management software, and Spotify (Amazon Music is not available). Microsoft Security Essentials is also still working as ever on my system, showing green on my taskbar, and is still updated, ALTHOUGH I DON'T MONITOR THIS. Actually, each of these and other Win 7-version programs are supported and regularly updated by the publishers. I also still run Office Professional 2007 (!) and although none of it is supported, all components still run as well as ever on Win 7. TurboTax is a standard program that is still produced for, and is supported on Win 7. I am reasonably sure that if I had to replace my NUC today, I'd still install Win 7 on it.

STILL, NB: I have no doubt that my Win 10 systems are more secure, and I do not recommend Win 7 as being superior in this or any regard. Also, I would not be surprised if my Win 7 versions are not as feature-rich as Win 10 versions, although this is not evident in anything I run.
    AND DISCLAIMER: I am retired, so although my photo, music, and other operations are very important to me, and I do try to run a relatively-secure system. There are some programs I have relied on that are no longer available to me: Minitab, for instance (whereas Tableau still is). I can still run my last version of Minitab, but I don't know if it would still be supported. If I were still running mission or client-critical data or operations, for instance, I would do it on Win 10.

Finally: yes, Windows 10 is it. Microsoft announced years ago that users will not be expected to pay for new versions as was always the case; instead, Win 10 will be continuously and regularly updated and supported, for free, with new versions still, but still under Win 10. The best features are probably that users no longer have to get new computers just to get the latest Windows version, and that version updates are free and automatic, optionally.

Good luck with your new build, regardless of the OS you choose.
    TechFreak1 and aximtreo like this.
    01-29-2021 09:57 AM
    To answer the actual question, yes. Windows 10 is the last major release of Windows. There will be no Windows 11 or 12. That, of course, could change.
    02-01-2021 10:07 AM