Insiders updated even though no TPM chip?

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been seeing all the tech media grabbing their pitchforks over this. So I wasn't expecting Windows 11 since I don't have a TPM 2.0 chip and I'm running an AMD FX series cpu.
However, my PC automatically updated to Windows 11 without any registery hacks, or even my knowledge.

Is this just part of the normal Insiders channel? Will I be forced to revert back at some point?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been seeing all the tech media grabbing their pitchforks over this. So I wasn't expecting Windows 11 since I don't have a TPM 2.0 chip and I'm running an AMD FX series cpu.
However, my PC automatically updated to Windows 11 without any registery hacks, or even my knowledge.

Is this just part of the normal Insiders channel? Will I be forced to revert back at some point?

The thing is many processors are capable of running W11 as they will have TPM 2.0 Capabilities through Firmware on the CPU. For AMD that's Firmware Trusted Platform Module or ftpm and for Intel that is Platform Trust Technology or PTT.

Therefore many users will not need a dedicated TPM chip.

The question people should be asking is when did the processor in their system launch.

As Microsoft mandated that from 2016 onwards - 28 July 2016 (To be exact) - TPM 2.0 must be enabled by default for new devices.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/tpm/tpm-recommendations#:~:text=Since%20July%2028%2C%202016%2C%20all%20new%20device%20models%2C,only%20applies%20to%20the%20manufacturing%20of%20new%20devices.

So to simplify matters: if your CPU is was released after July 2016 - then you are fine in terms of the 2.0 TPM requirement.

However, Microsoft also has a Processor cut off like W10 - where some processors are not "officially" supported but can run the o/s just fine without issues.

Since you are using an FX CPU here is the current list, this list will change as W11 gets closer to release date.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-processors

Note: I have also deleted your dupelicate post as requested :smile:.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos