Are we simply smarter or are Win 8 reviewers...

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I am really loving Windows 8. I don't believe it has that steep a learning curve. Though I can hear my wife already complaining about it. All I heard for months after switching her from XP to Win7, was how bad Win7 was. Not that it was, she just thought it was. Windows 8 will be the same way I am sure.

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Those guys are annoying and i couldnt watch it for more than a few minutes. That's coming from someone who is not a ms ****** and who is not perfectly happy with the windows 8 interface.

Those guys are full blown Windows fanboys who are bringing up valid complaints about blatantly stupid choices made by Microsoft to force users to use a UI obviously designed for touch on a desktop, but apparently they're "haters." Is that right?

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I watched just the first little bit and realized they are just going to hate so I turned it off. Seriously, it isn't that hard to use and I can't believe they can't even figure out how to close apps. Guess they aren't as smart as they would like people to believe.

You shouldn't have to go to Google or spend 10 minutes goofing off to learn how to close an app. It's called stupid arbitrary design just for the sake of change. And about as useful as teats on a bull on the desktop.

simonnyc

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
The more I'm playing with Windows 8 on my laptop, the more I think this whole RT vs Win8 issue is going to be a non-issue for most users. If you really think about how many ppl have really installed a bunch of "desktop" programs onto their windows 7/xp machines? i consider myself a heavy pc user and the only programs I had installed on my windows 7 machine (prior to upgrading to win8) was some canon software for my pictures, a bit torrent program and mcafee antivirus. I can see how this will be an issue for ppl that play pc games or highly intensive photo/video editing programs but those ppl won't be using a surface rt anyways so it's a moot point for them.

I think I've installed more "programs" or "apps" onto my win8 machine in the past 2 days than I installed on my win7 machine in the past 2 yrs.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I am typing this from my new Surface with touch cover and just want to point out that this tablet is the first real tablet.

Office is awesome. The UI took me twenty minutes to learn, and is simpler, more consistent, and more powerful than the iOS UI. Anybody who claims otherwise is in denial.

The real way to dispel doubt about the new Windows experience is to just use a Windows RT or 8 device. The sheer power at your fingertips, the fluidity of the experience, and the capabilities are all well beyond one's historical expectations of a tablet computer.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
You shouldn't have to go to Google or spend 10 minutes goofing off to learn how to close an app. It's called stupid arbitrary design just for the sake of change. And about as useful as teats on a bull on the desktop.

I know an Apple guy who made the same point. I asked him how to close an app on the iPad and he couldn't tell me how. ;)

He then got mad and told me that iOS devices "don't need to close apps."

(You double click the button, swipe to the desired app, tap and hold until it quivers, and then click the x. I googled it.) :)

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I know an Apple guy who made the same point. I asked him how to close an app on the iPad and he couldn't tell me how. ;)

He then got mad and told me that iOS devices "don't need to close apps."

(You double click the button, swipe to the desired app, tap and hold until it quivers, and then click the x. I googled it.) :)

What does Apple have to do with Windows 8? Nothing.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
All I know is that I've been doing IT work for 20 years, and I pick up new tech easier than anybody I know. BUT...

I've seen the same FUD and doom and gloom arguments for literally every single release of Windows since 3.1. OMG! How will anybody ever learn this?!?!?! Blah blah! The sky is falling, because they CHANGED something.

Nonsense! People resist it for a few months and then they adapt and move on. Then they wonder how they did without it. The same thing happens every time there's a Facebook change too. Or when a site changes its web design. Or when a soda company changes the can design of their favorite drink.

And yet the world keeps moving, and people keep buying and embracing whatever change comes. There's always whiners. I respond with fact and solutions. And that's all we can do.

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I am typing this from my new Surface with touch cover and just want to point out that this tablet is the first real tablet.

Office is awesome. The UI took me twenty minutes to learn, and is simpler, more consistent, and more powerful than the iOS UI. Anybody who claims otherwise is in denial.

The real way to dispel doubt about the new Windows experience is to just use a Windows RT or 8 device. The sheer power at your fingertips, the fluidity of the experience, and the capabilities are all well beyond one's historical expectations of a tablet computer.

This guy doesn't agree. He can type faster than "Word" on RT can register. He was told to update "Office." Here's the process:

1 Head to the Control Panel version of Windows Update, not the Metro-accessible version that you use for more everyday settings changes.

2 Fire up a search for ?Windows Update,? and select ?Install optional updates,? instead of ?Windows Update? from the list of results.

3 If no updates are available, have the device run a check. If there are, then get going right away. The update is titled ?Update for Microsoft Office Home & Student 201[3] RT Preview.?

4 Select it, and install.

5 Reboot.

Why I’m Returning My Microsoft Surface RT | Brent Ozar

But he's just a "hater," right? SURFACE IS PERFECT!

In short, like a lot of other things in Windows 8, Metro and the desktop version of the OS are almost completely unattached, and you have to update Office just like on older versions of Windows. Completely half-assed implementation. Just slap the touch UI on top of Windows 7, and force everyone to use it.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
That review is wrong. I just updated my Office RT completely from Metro, and have had no problems typing at 125 WPM using my type cover.

Stay in the past if you want to. I'm not saying you have to adapt to new tech. I know a few people still using Amigas and Power Macs because they don't like Windows. It doesn't mean that the rest of us agree with you or them, though.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site

I didn't go to google to learn how to close programs. I just played around and found it in about 3 minutes. If it took them that much then they have more issues than I could ever help them out with. My mom is not the most technological person in the world and could navigate and use W8 better than those idiots without any help. Pretty sad. Sorry you don't like W8, you just won't have to upgrade, no biggie. Your loss.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
This guy doesn't agree. He can type faster than "Word" on RT can register. He was told to update "Office." Here's the process:

1 Head to the Control Panel version of Windows Update, not the Metro-accessible version that you use for more everyday settings changes.

2 Fire up a search for ?Windows Update,? and select ?Install optional updates,? instead of ?Windows Update? from the list of results.

3 If no updates are available, have the device run a check. If there are, then get going right away. The update is titled ?Update for Microsoft Office Home & Student 201[3] RT Preview.?

4 Select it, and install.

5 Reboot.

Why I?m Returning My Microsoft Surface RT | Brent Ozar

But he's just a "hater," right? SURFACE IS PERFECT!

In short, like a lot of other things in Windows 8, Metro and the desktop version of the OS are almost completely unattached, and you have to update Office just like on older versions of Windows. Completely half-assed implementation. Just slap the touch UI on top of Windows 7, and force everyone to use it.

OK. We get it, you don't like W8. Your loss like I said. No need for you to be here. I can tell you that W8 is easier and better on my 3 year old laptop than my brand new iMac running the latest version of OS X that the company gave me. It does more and is faster and you know what? I don't even touch screen and will not go back to another OS. It's a shame that he went to all that trouble when he didn't have to. But that was how he decided to approach it and it is more work than necessary. Again, his loss too.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
But Microsoft has changed so very much! Nobody will ever adapt!

Where is Winsock? Without it, traditional users will have NO IDEA how to connect to the Internet!

I cannot make a program group anymore! How do I organize my apps?!?

Where is the Active Desktop?!? When I try to access the network or local drives through IE, it doesn't work anymore!

Microsoft has eliminated Windows Update as a component of IE... now it is in some newfangled control panel. This will confuse users who are accustomed to going to WindowsUpdate.com!

Where is Clippy?!? How am I supposed to get help?!?

All of these changes clearly prevented adoption of Windows 95, XP, and 7, right?

Uhhh... they didn't.

Learning Windows 8 takes less time for a user than learning Windows 95 did when coming from 3.X, or 7 did for users coming from XP.

And as a mid 30s guy, I am old enough to remember the furious magazine articles and blog posts complaining about these changes, and authors darkly warning that this was an opening for the Mac (and Mac clones), Amiga, Linux, OS/2, etc. just as they are doing now.

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
OK. We get it, you don't like W8. Your loss like I said. No need for you to be here. I can tell you that W8 is easier and better on my 3 year old laptop than my brand new iMac running the latest version of OS X that the company gave me. It does more and is faster and you know what? I don't even touch screen and will not go back to another OS. It's a shame that he went to all that trouble when he didn't have to. But that was how he decided to approach it and it is more work than necessary. Again, his loss too.

I like it just fine when I'm not forced to use Metro on the desktop.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft will release a service pack enabling an option to disable Metro, and re-enabling the old "Start" menu within 6 months. Guaranteed. Metro is great on phones and tablets, where it belongs. On the desktop, it's a an annoyance.
Guaranteed NOT to happen. Ever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6