Got an old PC with a legitimate Windows XP license sticker on it

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Would it be eligible for the Windows 8 Pro 39,90 upgrade? Can I do a clean install and just type in my old XP license key somewhere along the way? Been looking around the webs but can't find any info on that yet.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind. If you want 64 bit Win8, you need to make sure you do the upgrade assistant on a PC running it. I installed an old copy of Vista on my desktop with a valid license, but had to do the upgrade on my laptop with Windows 8 Enterprise Eval so it downloaded the 64 bit version.

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
One thing to keep in mind. If you want 64 bit Win8, you need to make sure you do the upgrade assistant on a PC running it. I installed an old copy of Vista on my desktop with a valid license, but had to do the upgrade on my laptop with Windows 8 Enterprise Eval so it downloaded the 64 bit version.

Too late :(. I installed XP (from the old OEM CD I had) and used the upgrade assistant. It installed the 32-bit version, so that sucked BUT on the bright side I ordered the extra "backup DVD" for an extra 14,99? so hopefully I'll get that sometime next week and can re-install and choose the 64 bit version instead. I assume you can choose if you want to install from the "backup DVD" since the retail upgrade pack only comes in one flavour.

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Given it's 10 year old hardware, it's probably not 64bit capable anyway ;).

LOL! I haven't used that machine for YEARS. I simply installed XP on my current machine, put in the old license key and it activated, no problems. You'd Think it would be locked to my year 2001 MSI motherboard but it worked so I'm not complaining. Upgrade assistant worked like a charm and I got my shiny new Win8 Pro license key in the mail right after purchase by credit card. Still, I'll have to wait for my "backup DVD" so I can re-install to the 64-bit versions, sigh.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon